Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3rd Modelers Contest: Model Trains

Dear Members,

I'm pleased to announce that we are launching the 3rd WAB Modelers Contest. The theme of this contest will be MODEL TRAINS, as selected by texasjohn.

As before, members have one week to submit a photo of their diorama work. After a week of submissions, the submission thread will be closed and a voting thread will be opened. The winner takes home a tin of Royal Dansk Butter Cookies!

Best of luck!

Regards, Ironduke
    "Every man has his weakness. Mine was always just cigarettes."

Give me a little more time please. I finally uncovered my train table and only put my military train on it (without a loco yet. Can't decide which Mikado to use). I still have seven more boxes to unpack.

And that's just the Chicago, Milwaukee, St. Paul & Pacific (Milwaukee Road).
    Able to leap tall tales in a single groan.

Comment

Originally posted by RustyBattleship View Post
      Give me a little more time please. I finally uncovered my train table and only put my military train on it (without a loco yet. Can't decide which Mikado to use). I still have seven more boxes to unpack.
      You mean you're not the one who suggested this theme for the latest contest?

I'd offer to help out but I understand your neighborhood isn't the safest place to be in the last week......

Comment

Originally posted by RAL's_pal? View Post
        You mean you're not the one who suggested this theme for the latest contest?

I'd offer to help out but I understand your neighborhood isn't the safest place to be in the last week......

It's okay now. Shot them all.

Comment

It's okay now. Shot them all.
          Shot pictures of the trains or.....

shot at the people who have been hanging around your house?

Comment

Reddite igitur quae sunt Caesaris Caesari et quae sunt Dei Deo
            (Render therefore unto Caesar the things which are Caesar's and unto God the things which are God's)

Comment

Well, somebody was hiding behind our fence alongside the Downey Avenue side and the dogs (though not barking) were intensly staring through the gaps of the boards and sniffing like the dickens. Though it was at night, I could see the shadow of a person sitting or kneeling down along the fence.

I held my Stainless Steel .357 magnum high enough above the gate so the street light would reflect off of it.

Haven't had to wear it since.

Haven't photographed the trains yet. Still sitting them up. Laying more temporary track (like a switching yard to display them on). It will be almost entirely Miwaukee Road. The billboard cars are of products and factories familiar in Wisconsin. That should make Debbie (a fellow Badger) happy.

Comment

Ahh, the train guys provide a wealth of teeny little parts for us Sci Fi scratchbuilders to put on our spaceships!

-dale

Comment

All right, here we go. CHICAGO, MILWAUKEE, St. PAUL & PACIFIC (aka The Milwaukee Road). I chose it because my grandfather worked on it for over 30 years. Also for my 7th birthday present I got to actually DRIVE a STEAM LOCOMOTIVE (been into "heavy metal" ever since with tanks and battleships).

In the following pictures, you will see one of two cabooses. The one on the left is supposed to be a Thule built caboose for the Milwaukee. But it is just the standard kit with the faded Milwaukee colors. The one on the right I modified, kit bashed, etc. to make it look like the Thule design the Milwaukee ordered. Also it's the proper color; "Rotted Pumpkin".

The big meat packing car is the only thing I have in G-scale (everything else is HO). Picked it up at an Auction for only 20 bucks. Couldn't pass it up.

In the middle you will see two of my brass locomotives not painted yet. The Bi-Polar was a birthday present from my wife (cost 500 bucks) and the other is a Baldwin I picked up at a train show for 200 dollars.

In the picture of the custom-built two-car Doodle Bug (gasoline powered inter-urbans) behind it and trailing the purple car is a custom painted brass bay window caboose that ran me 160 dollars. I have an unpainted one but decided not to put it out. The tail car above the caboose I have been modifying to simulate a car that was used in the 1930 movie "Danger Lights".

In the back, there is a story of the police motorcycle and police car chasing the yellow Ford down the tracks. It was a specially modified car so the yard superintendent could quickly get to the site of some problem (train crash, bridge out, etc.). The Miwaukee Police didn't know that and when they first saw it high-tailing down the tracks they phoned in that some drunk Taxi Cab driver was on the railroad tracks and they tried to head him off before he ran into a train.

My Hiawatha doesn't show up as well as I wanted. Though I did add a red MARS warning light in it. The same with my Olympian. Darn, I didn't know I had so many cars and that's a 4-foot X 8-foot table.

You can pick out my military train easy enough but I don't have enough cars for it yet.

I'm also missing a Pacific locomotive that I spent hours modifying to look like the Pacifics that were built in the Milwaukee shops under license to American Locomotive Company. It's around here somewhere.

And just to show I'm a good sport, I have even included a BRITISH locomotive and tender for our WAB members on the east side of the pond.
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by RustyBattleship; 27 Mar 07,, 07:01.

Comment

Gotta add in the G-scale car and the cabooses, especially when I had to kit-bash one to make it historically accurate.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Quite the collection you have there RB...........very nice
                      sigpicFEAR NAUGHT

Should raw analytical data ever be passed to policy makers?

Comment

Nice collection there Mr. L.:) My grandfather was an engineer for PA R.R. and my father became an Electricians helper on PA R.R. after being discharged from the USN shortly after WWII. Still have his lanterns,Still keep his ID in my wallet as a good luck piece. In addition I grew up very close to Baldwin Loco company.:)
                        Fortitude.....The strength to persist...The courage to endure.

Comment

Rusty B,

Just fabulous.

Makes me feel I were young and playing with the scale models.

I just bought my grandson a railway set for this second birthday. Yours, in comparison, is a complete railway system!!!!!

Congratulations!

"Some have learnt many Tricks of sly Evasion, Instead of Truth they use Equivocation, And eke it out with mental Reservation, Which is to good Men an Abomination."

I don't have to attend every argument I'm invited to.

HAKUNA MATATA

Comment

Originally posted by Ray View Post
                            Rusty B,

Just fabulous.

Makes me feel I were young and playing with the scale models.

I just bought my grandson a railway set for this second birthday. Yours, in comparison, is a complete railway system!!!!!

Congratulations!
                            Thank you. Many train collectors start out like that, with just one set. Just like me. As your grandson gets older and you get more interested in trains, better start planning now to set aside a spare room to build a layout.

Comment

Haven't photographed the trains yet. Still sitting them up. Laying more temporary track (like a switching yard to display them on). It will be almost entirely Miwaukee Road. The billboard cars are of products and factories familiar in Wisconsin. That should make Debbie (a fellow Badger) happy.
                              Making me happy means I get the cookies you win
                              Welcome, you step into a forum of the flash bang, chew toy hell, and shove it down your throat brutal honesty. OoE

Comment

Working...
                              X