Best War Movie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gunnut View Post
    You know reading materials can be biased too.
    Yes, but someone who is intellect enough to open a book, has much higher knowledge the one that watches the movie like Preal Harbour, and gets over-emotional by seeing the Flag teared into pieces. Ofcourse, the more you read on the same subject (different books), the more normalized your view becomes. The more you read of the same subject, the higher is the height of the hill where you are standing and judging past events, becomes.

Infact, as matter of opinion the movie Preal Harbour, aside from the nice CG work, was the kind of movie where teenagers take their gf to get a hand***. I hated that movie. They guy who made did a good job with popcorn flicks such as Bad Boys. .. i think he should keep his work in that arena.

Comment

I have never watched Pearl Harbor. It just didn't interest me enough to weave a romantic angle into a serious war movie. I didn't watch Titanic for the same reason. I don't care for the romantic angle. If I want to watch a romance, let it be a romance.

Michael Bay is the guy you're thinking of. He did such famous movies (and I'm being sarcastic here) as Armageddon, Bad Boyz and Bad Boyz II, The Rock, and The Island. All were at best average in my book. Just a lot of noise and shaky camara work. I'm skeptical about him doing Transformers. I hope he doesn't ruin a classic cartoon.
      "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

I voted for Zulu but I enjoyed "We were soldiers once and young"very much also.I appreciated how it showed the war through the eyes of both sides' soldiers families and politics aside,both sides in a war are human.
        "Every government degenerates when trusted to the rulers of the people alone. The people themselves, therefore, are its only safe depositories." Thomas Jefferson

Comment

The Longest Day!

I also loved Patton, Battle of the River Plate and Tora Tora Tora!

Oh yes, also Bridge on the River Kwai!
          Last edited by Ray; 14 Apr 07,, 16:49.

"Some have learnt many Tricks of sly Evasion, Instead of Truth they use Equivocation, And eke it out with mental Reservation, Which is to good Men an Abomination."

I don't have to attend every argument I'm invited to.

HAKUNA MATATA

Comment

Hamburger Hill

"Hamburger Hill" seemed as realistic a portrayal of combat between our best and their best as I've seen.

"We Were Soldiers Once... "paled when they charged the hill at the end. Pure Hollywood filmed in California by it's looks. Had the dry scrub savannah look of the Ia Drang but none of those groovy anthills. Too many big hills also. The Chu Pong massif stands alone.

Always loved "The D.I" with Jack Webb and "Retreat, Hell!"

"Zulu" remains epic, though best watched with it's modern twin, "Zulu Dawn", starring Peter O'Toole. Hard not to love "The Longest Day".

For a quirk, enjoy "Taras Bulba" w/ Yul Brynner and Tony Curtis, about Ukrainian cossacks sacking the Polish city of Kiev (Polish at the time anyway). Great stuff. Plague, Polish catholic princess falls for ukrainian orthodox peasant, clan betrayal.

"Major Dundee"-Sam Peckinpah at his slow motion best starring Charleton Heston...well, next to "The Wild Ones".

An interesting depiction of Stalingrad is the German 1993 movie "Stalingrad". Interesting perspective of the desperation felt by the individual landser. Little corny at the end. Slight inaccuracies, but at least as good as "Enemy At the Gates".
            "This aggression will not stand, man!" Jeff Lebowski
            "The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool." Lester Bangs

Comment

A powerful film about a military establishment in wartime, but not a war film per se, is 'The Hill'. It is a well observed story about life in a British MPE (military prison establishment) in the middle east during WW2. The acting is of the highest calibre, and the film feels totally realistic. Harry Andrew played the role of Establishment RSM to perfection, and he was ably supported by the rest of the cast. 1RTR members will immediately spot the beret badge worn by Sean Connery! If you have never seen this film, do yourself a favour and rent a copy.
              Semper in excretum. Solum profunda variat.

Comment

I really liked Zulu, though I've been by a Zulu I work with that it is very inaccurate.
                "Every man has his weakness. Mine was always just cigarettes."

Comment

Saving Private Ryan is definitely one of the best war movies. I also liked The Wild Geese with Richard Burton and Richard Harris.
                  “When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.” ~ Jimi Hendrix
                  "No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." ~ Eleanor Roosevelt
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Ironduke View Post
                    I really liked Zulu, though I've been by a Zulu I work with that it is very inaccurate.

In the film Private Hook was portrayed as a 'bad-assed' soldier, but in real life he unfailingly exhibited exemplary behaviour.

Comment

there are alot of inconsistancies in the movie Zulu ,a very good movie though,David Rattary who was reciently murdered in south africa had a lodge at ishandwana and he did battlefield tours The mission at rorkes drift was there and amoungst Zulu folk lore they say the men responsible for the defence of rorkes drift where the men with white marks on there arms,it is written that the 2 officers concerned where left behind at rorkes drift because of incompetence ,qouted as nice chaps but do not have a clue about soldiering.Where as in the movie the hero,s of rorkes drift where the 2 leutenants,as i say its still one of my favourite movies though,that and the TV series shaka.

Comment

About 3 months ago, I sat next to a gray haired but very affable gentleman on the train down from Edinburgh. He talked about working in the movie "Zulu" and about his life in movies and outside of movies. His name is Tom Gerrard, he played a lance corporal.

Yes it's not an accurate film, and as the offspring of a Zulu descendant mother and a British father my loyalties were always divided - but now I have more reason to watch and enjoy the movie.

Comment

[QUOTE=execrable;367015]About 3 months ago, I sat next to a gray haired but very affable gentleman

I hope this did not come as a great shock to you! Oldies (myself included) can be affable as well as anyone else!

Yes it's not an accurate film,

I wonder if anyone has ever made an accurate military film? I know someone just before WW2 made an accurate 'western' where actors were correctly dressed for the times. The 'sod-busters' had sacking for windows and their simple houses had outdoor mud ovens. Although it should have deserved better the film went down like a lead balloon. It seems the paying public wish to keep their illusions intact, and so the studios churn out what their public wants. No wonder Hollywood, Bollywood, Elstree and the like are called 'dream factories'.:)

Comment

Iron Eagle III

and

-
                            -
                            -
                            -
                            -
                            -
                            -
                            -
                            -
                            -
                            -
                            -
                            -
                            -
                            -
                            -
                            -
                            -
                            -
                            -
                            -

Iron Eagle IV

Comment

The Pianist....Haqiqat....longest day..etc etc...

Comment

Originally posted by glyn View Post
                                Originally posted by execrable View Post
                                About 3 months ago, I sat next to a gray haired but very affable gentleman
                                I hope this did not come as a great shock to you! Oldies (myself included) can be affable as well as anyone else!
                                I'm sorry Glyn I didn't say what I wanted to say in the right way - no offense intended!

Originally posted by glyn View Post
                                I wonder if anyone has ever made an accurate military film?
                                ------snip-----
                                It seems the paying public wish to keep their illusions intact, and so the studios churn out what their public wants.
                                Hate to disagree with you, however I feel the film going public isn't always consulted or thought about when it comes to making good movies. The current trend is to spend more and more money on special effects when all people like myself want when we go to the movies is a great script acted well and directed strongly.

The other "hollywood" problem is that the marketing men and women tend to spend dollars on ideas that have already proved successful - innaccuracy has proved popular (and lazy) so it will continue. It takes real effort and research to "do" accuracy as I'm finding in my personal project (I'm working on a historical military graphic novel and getting as much accuracy in as I can - but it's making the project take longer than I thought!)

Comment

Working...
                                X