Best War Movie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I was just surprised cuz The Beast is not well known
    In Iran people belive pepsi stands for pay each penny save israel. -urmomma158
    The Russian Navy is still a threat, but only to those unlucky enough to be Russian sailors.-highsea

Comment

• My personal favorites in no particular order are

Gettysburg
      Saving Private Ryan
      Tora Tora Tora

I have also recently become a fan of Letters from Iwo Jima (always interesting to see things from the other side)

And although these are a little cheesy, I like Midway and In Harms Way as well.

Comment

• Fav movies

In Harms Way - cheesy but the Duke is cool. And how bout when Kirk Douglas slaps that mamby-pamby Lt not once, but twice! I lost my respect for him after he assaulted Dawn though.

cool foreign film: Downfall - fantastic portrayal of Hitler and his madness in the bunker as Berlin crumbles around him.
        The film is in German, with English subtitles. You can really get a sense of Hitler's insanity listening to him rant in German. Quite powerful.

Comment

• The Battle of Algiers by Pontecorvo.

So good, so realistic that it was used, in its entirety for instructional purposes in the JFK Special Warfare Center at Ft. Bragg and the Command and General Staff College at Ft. Leavenworth. The second time I saw it it was pitched to a short-course at Leavenworth and introduced by a French LTC who had not only fought in Algeria, but had been jailed for rebelling against De Gaulle (maybe he was in the 1st REP) and then rehabbed back into the French Army. Coincidentally, I just found this film on enhanced DVD last Saturday and picked it up. I strongly recommend it.

The Battle of Algiers (film - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)

Comment

• 'Come And See'. It's Russian, it's one-sided but it's brutally realistic and accurate. A masterpiece. If you've not seen this one, then do so ASAP. You'll not regret it!

Comment

• Come And See

Originally posted by fluffs View Post
              'Come And See'. It's Russian, it's one-sided but it's brutally realistic and accurate. A masterpiece. If you've not seen this one, then do so ASAP. You'll not regret it!
              Since it was mentioned a few times on this forum I watched it. It was... interesting.
              Reddite igitur quae sunt Caesaris Caesari et quae sunt Dei Deo
              (Render therefore unto Caesar the things which are Caesar's and unto God the things which are God's)

Comment

• JP dutta's "BORDER" based on the battle of Longewala is probably the best Indian war film

Comment

• For every good one, there is 10 bad ones.

Best tongue in cheek: Kelly's Heroes
                  Best factual: Tora Tora Tora, Battle for Midway
                  Best Visually: Saving Private Ryan

But then again, I will probably think of three others tomorrow ;)

Comment

• Originally posted by Elbmek View Post
                    Best tongue in cheek: Kelly's Heroes
                    One of my favorite lines-TSGT Oddball to Kelly.."We've got the fastest taanks in the European Theatre forwards or backwards.Ya see,we like to be able to get out of trouble as fast as we got into it..."or Moriarity..."Tigers?!We was ASSAULTED by them Tigers!!"
                    "Every government degenerates when trusted to the rulers of the people alone. The people themselves, therefore, are its only safe depositories." Thomas Jefferson

Comment

• Oddball, a 60s relic thrown back in time

"woof woof" thats my other dog impression!!

Comment

• "Always with the negative waves Moriarty, always with the negative waves." TSGT Oddball, Tank Commander
                        “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
                        Mark Twain

Comment

• Originally posted by Albany Rifles View Post
                          "Always with the negative waves Moriarty, always with the negative waves." TSGT Oddball, Tank Commander
                          I use that one on my son AR
                          "Every government degenerates when trusted to the rulers of the people alone. The people themselves, therefore, are its only safe depositories." Thomas Jefferson

Comment

• Originally posted by Shamus View Post
                            I use that one on my son AR
                            I use a cattle prod:))

Comment

• Originally posted by dave lukins View Post
                              I use a cattle prod:))

Comment

• Originally posted by bengalraider View Post
                                JP dutta's "BORDER" based on the battle of Longewala is probably the best Indian war film
                                By Indian standards Lakshya was also a good one
                                Keyboard is mightier than gun

Comment

Working...
                                X