Best War Movie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RedArmySurplus View Post
    aktarian, can you give me some more info on 9ya Rota? i was going to get it a while ago but didnt.....
    very similar to Full Metal Jacket only with Soviet airborne and Afghanistan instead of US Marines and Vietnam. The attacks on convoys and attacks on departing aircraft are well and realistically done. Though the final battle, while it did take place, is not accurately shown.

Very good movie, highly recommended.

Comment

Bridges at Toko-ri.
      - SJS

Comment

Originally posted by SteeljawScribe View Post
        Bridges at Toko-ri.

If they could tweak the film to replace the awful models with modern computer generated effects, and considerably reduce (magically?) Bill Holdens age, well then it would be much improved.:)
        Semper in excretum. Solum profunda variat.

Comment

I have seen so many war film's that the choice is a hard one.

Band of brother's has to be the best serialized film ever, seeing the original Easy Co. guy's telling it in their way, really brought it home to me. The hardships suffered by these men, and those who didn't make it, deserve our never ending respect.

After seeing a good war film, try going to a Military Cemetery, look at all of those headstone's, take a good look at the name's and ages of a few of the fallen, then go to the entrance and check the list of all of the fallen who are in the Cemetery.

Then have a good hard think about it all.

A few of you will know what I'm getting at.

Tony
          Yet another ex-tankie of 1 RTR origin.

Comment

Best war movie

Apocalypse Now
            Ancient Greek Aspis (shield), Xiphos (sword) and Pericephalea (helmet) sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by kompikos View Post
              Apocalypse Now
              Excellent movie, no doubt, but it's more a surreal, psychological thing than a war film per se.

Comment

Originally posted by entropy View Post
                Excellent movie, no doubt, but it's more a surreal, psychological thing than a war film per se.
                You are right but I still love that movie for the war scenes as well, very sureal! I also liked very much "We were sholdiers" with Mel Gibson
                Ancient Greek Aspis (shield), Xiphos (sword) and Pericephalea (helmet) sigpic

Comment

We were Soilders .......Hands down then id have to add Black Hawk Down next.

Comment

Bridges at Toko-Ri came to mind first. The War Lover. Catch-22 for its massed takeoff scenes of B-25s. The Hill. The Young Lions. D-Day, June 6 1944. 30 Seconds Over Tokyo. The Caine Mutiny. King Rat. I haven't seen the latest (10-20 year old) movies. Some, including Pork Chop Hill (Korea), Mr. Roberts, Audie Murphy's To Hell and Back , which I have seen only once or twice were able to give a small understanding of what it was like. Hollywood wants to give us blood and gore to boost their bottom line, if that is what it takes for us to appreciate the sacrifice our men made, so be it. All of these stories must be told.

Comment

Gallipoli

Gallipoli, came out in the early eighties, the story of a group of young Aussies that "Joined up for an adventure".
                      Gallipoli (1981 film) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It was an adventure alright, Churchill made sure of that, the poms landed the Aussies on the wrong beach that is now called ANZAC (Australia and New Zealand Army Courp) cove. 7500 Aussies were killed and 20,000 were injured.
                      and 2500 Kiwis were also killed
                      The English, where possible, would send troops from countries that were under their control, yep you guessed it, that was us, first so as not to loose their own troops. "(better to loose a few thousand orrstralians than our boys, hey what, old chap)"

We still haven't forgiven the Poms for that, I think that's why we love to belt the Poms in Cricket so much, and for you poor unfortunate people who have never seen cricket, it leaves Baseball for dead, and cricket world series involves the whole world.

I think the rational back then was to use us to soften them up, they did it in the Boer war too. It was only when we went to the islands that Gen Blamey told the Poms and the US that "we were running our own show here". "We've had enough of our men being used as cannon fodder".

I did also like Mc Hales Navy, not the movie, but the series
                      Never hold your farts in, they run up your spine, and that's where shity ideas come from.
                      vēnī, vīdī, velcro - I came, I saw I stuck around.

Comment

[QUOTE=furkensturker;424141]Gallipoli, came out in the early eighties, the story of a group of young Aussies that "Joined up for an adventure".

It was an adventure alright, Churchill made sure of that, the poms landed the Aussies on the wrong beach that is now called ANZAC (Australia and New Zealand Army Courp) cove. 7500 Aussies were killed and 20,000 were injured.
                        The English, where possible, would send troops from countries that were under their control, yep you guessed it, that was us, first so as not to loose their own troops. "(better to loose a few thousand orrstralians than our boys, hey what, old chap)"

Obviously there were no British casualties at all, were there? Oh, hang on a minute - I seem to remember a certain Tommy Atkins scratching his hand on some barbed wire.

I think the rational back then was to use us to soften them up, they did it in the Boer war too.

I can only gasp in admiration at your comprehensive understanding of military history. Was it a good comic book, do you reckon?

Comment

Obviously there were no British casualties at all, were there? Oh, hang on a minute - I seem to remember a certain Tommy Atkins scratching his hand on some barbed wire.

I can only gasp in admiration at your comprehensive understanding of military history. Was it a good comic book, do you reckon?[/QUOTE]

Did you notice I was referring to ANZAC Coce?:)

As far as us Aussies are concerned, when we talk of Gallipoli, we're referring to Anzac Cove.

And as for Tommy Atkins, he should have kept away from it and he wouldn't have got hurt:)
                          Never hold your farts in, they run up your spine, and that's where shity ideas come from.
                          vēnī, vīdī, velcro - I came, I saw I stuck around.

Comment

[QUOTE=glyn;424145]
                            Originally posted by furkensturker View Post
                            Gallipoli, came out in the early eighties, the story of a group of young Aussies that "Joined up for an adventure".

I think the rational back then was to use us to soften them up, they did it in the Boer war too.

I can only gasp in admiration at your comprehensive understanding of military history. Was it a good comic book, do you reckon?
                            Spilled a bit of acid on the page there, glyn:))

Comment

Stuart Slade on Pearl Harbor:

"This is what happens when you use trivia napkins for research material!"
                              HD Ready?

Comment

[QUOTE=Bluesman;424518]
                                Originally posted by glyn View Post

Spilled a bit of acid on the page there, glyn:))
                                Oh, as if Keith. You are a wag! In fact I am rather fond of Freddy Furkensturker (in a rather lop-sided sort of way). He is Australian, you know, so all due allowances have to be made:))

Comment

Working...
                                X