Best War Movie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by execrable View Post
    I'm sorry Glyn I didn't say what I wanted to say in the right way - no offense intended!

Nor any taken:)

Hate to disagree with you, however I feel the film going public isn't always consulted

I didn't know they ever were

or thought about when it comes to making good movies. The current trend is to spend more and more money on special effects when all people like myself want when we go to the movies is a great script acted well and directed strongly.

I'm sure you are right. All I hope for is a good storyline, reasonable lighting, a clear soundtrack, thespians who know their trade and the right director for the project.
    What I usually get is a confused storyline, which is gloomy (but the little darlings call it 'atmospheric'!) muddy soundtrack, posturing 'actors' and a director who is undergoing 'personal problems'!

The other "hollywood" problem is that the marketing men and women tend to spend dollars on ideas that have already proved successful - innaccuracy has proved popular (and lazy) so it will continue. It takes real effort and research to "do" accuracy as I'm finding in my personal project (I'm working on a historical military graphic novel and getting as much accuracy in as I can - but it's making the project take longer than I thought!)
    That I believe!
    Semper in excretum. Solum profunda variat.

Comment

Originally posted by glyn View Post
      Originally posted by execrable
      the film going public isn't always consulted
      I didn't know they ever were
      It does happen but it is quite rare.

More often you have private screenings with a selected audience after the movie and changes are made enforced upon the director but sometimes the screenplay is pre-screened (a "Leica" type reel comprising rough story boards and visuals and possibly some sound) for audience feedback. Leica reels are more common to animation movies but the technique is quite old.

A film like 300 would have been easy to do (if the directors wished) as the images had already been done in graphic comic format.

Comment

How on earth could you leave Das Boot out and put Pearl Harbor in there!

Das Boot, without a doubt.
        "The right man in the wrong place can make all the difference in the world. So wake up, Mr. Freeman. Wake up and smell the ashes." G-Man

Comment

I think "the boat" is "Das Boot"...and Pearl Habor really doesnt deserve to be on such a list...

Comment

Zulu followed very closely by Where Eagles Dare and Saving Private Ryan, Letters from Iwo Jima is also pretty close to the top of the list as well.

Comment

For realism, i'd have the say Band of Brothers

For sheer, gory, war-atmosphere i'd go with Saving Private Ryan or Black Hawk Down.

My personal favourite, however, is the 1960s classic Zulu.

Comment

Originally posted by T_igger_cs_30 View Post
                Although I am pretty sure this has been done before I voted Zulu and would like to mention a very close second ......'Das Boot".........and third ...."Cross of Iron"
                Hey Wayne , you missed out B/Sqd on the piss in charlies bar mindenerstrasse Herford W/G, best lifelike war scenes ever

Seriousy though it has to be for me Private Ryan . ;)

Comment

Das Boot
                  A Bridge Too far
                  Platoon
                  Lost Battalion
                  9ya Rota (9th company)

Comment

Im a big fan of "the big red One" however Saving Ryan's Privates has to be a close second

Comment

Black Hawk down, is kinda personal to me. My good friend John was one of them. He made it back safely, thank God.

He also did his time playing in the sandbox, and is now a cop in Garland, TX.

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisF202 View Post
                        Zulu followed very closely by Where Eagles Dare and Saving Private Ryan, Letters from Iwo Jima is also pretty close to the top of the list as well.
                        I second Where Eagles Dare. Way intense. And pleasing cinematography.

I make a point of catching A Dirty Dozen whenever its shown on PBS around November.

Comment

Originally posted by execrable View Post
                          More than just a war movie but I suspect the fact Eastwood was in it (at the same time as his Dirty Harry movies) means people won't take it seriously as a war movie.
                          Clint was in a few war flicks. Kelly's Heroes and Firefox off the top of my head, in addition to Where Eagles Dare

Comment

Originally posted by FibrillatorD View Post
                            Clint was in a few war flicks. Kelly's Heroes and Firefox off the top of my head, in addition to Where Eagles Dare
                            What was that 90s flick? Heartbreak pass??? with Clint?

Comment

Originally posted by texasjohn View Post
                              What was that 90s flick? Heartbreak pass??? with Clint?
                              Heartbreak Ridge. Not bad flick

Comment

aktarian, can you give me some more info on 9ya Rota? i was going to get it a while ago but didnt.....
                                die, no0b

Comment

Working...
                                X