Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Missouri Creates a seperate school police.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Missouri Creates a seperate school police.

House OKs school authority

JEFFERSON CITY (AP) - School districts would be allowed to create their own police departments and give teachers new legal protections under a bill given first-round approval yesterday in the House.

Lawmakers, by voice vote, approved the wide-ranging measure that expands the ability of school districts to establish school dress codes, dispense medication to students and use force to protect people and property.

Sponsoring Rep. Maynard Wallace said most of the bill’s provisions codify what school districts already are doing.

One of the provisions would allow school districts to create certified police officers to enforce laws broken on school property, at school activities and on school buses.

Rep. Gary Dusenberg, R-Blue Springs, who has filed separate bills to give school districts that right in the past, said some schools need their own police because the district crosses into multiple law enforcement jurisdictions, creating a confusing situation for police.

Although the district’s law enforcement force would have full police powers, sexual offenses, felonies and crimes that involve violence or threats would need to be handled by local law enforcement.

Rep. John Burnett said the measure means school district personnel could ride school buses and patrol hallways with a gun.

"If we need security officers, we should get security officers. If we need police officers, we should get real police," said Burnett, D-Kansas City.

Supporters said trained, licensed police officers can be important for ensuring safety for students and teachers.

The measure also adds several legal protections for teachers. It would prevent lawsuits against teachers who discipline students by using their school district’s approved procedures and also against qualified teachers and staff who distribute medication or medical treatments, including CPR.

Maybe I'm insane but creating a seperate lesser armed police service under the school district seems to me like asking for trouble.

Originally posted by Maxor View Post
    House OKs school authority

Maybe I'm insane but creating a seperate lesser armed police service under the school district seems to me like asking for trouble.
    Quite a few places have school police:

NYC School Safety (called School Police until their 1998 merger with the NYPD) - they are also unarmed
    Boston Public Schools Police (unarmed)
    Baltimore City Public Schools Police
    Miami-Dade Public Schools Police
    Palm Beach County Public Schools Police
    Broward County School Police
    Indianapolis Public School Police
    Fulton County School District Police
    Richmond County Board of Education Police
    Clark County School Police
    LA School Police
    San Diego School Police
    Almost every school district in Texas

And most colleges and universities also have full service police forces.

Comment

Why on earth would we create a seperate publically funded police force instead of allowing the school administators to keep the peace in their instatution?

Comment

Originally posted by Maxor View Post
        Why on earth would we create a seperate publically funded police force instead of allowing the school administators to keep the peace in their instatution?
        Jurisdiction issues and less red tape. School districts are a separate taxable entity from city, county, and state government.
        F/A-18E/F Super Hornet: The Honda Accord of fighters.

Comment

YES! I've always been a strong advocate for indoctrinating our youth from and early age to unquestioningly accept and submit to a police state!
          The black flag is raised: Ban them all... Let the Admin sort them out.

I know I'm going to have the last word... I have powers of deletion and lock.

Comment

Sometimes I wonder how long it will be before Americans are shouting "Sieg Heil!". It ticks me off big time.
            "I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just; that His justice cannot sleep forever."
            - Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Originally posted by ExNavyAmerican View Post
              Sometimes I wonder how long it will be before Americans are shouting "Sieg Heil!". It ticks me off big time.
              "Heil Hillary! Mein Klinton uber allis!"

So, with "police" packing heat on campus, what excuse will the left bring to bear making teachers and other licensed adults armed and demonstrably superior in firearms proficiency verboten?
              Last edited by Horrido; 18 Mar 07,, 19:16.
              The black flag is raised: Ban them all... Let the Admin sort them out.

I know I'm going to have the last word... I have powers of deletion and lock.

Comment

Working...
              X