Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NATO warns US missile defense could divide allies

NATO warns US missile defense could divide allies

BRUSSELS (Reuters) - NATO's secretary-general has warned that a proposed U.S. missile defense system risks splitting the alliance between those the program would protect and those it would not, the Financial Times reported on Monday.

"When it comes to missile defense, there shouldn't be an A-League and a B-league within NATO," the newspaper quoted Jaap de Hoop Scheffer as saying in an interview. "For me it is the indivisibility of security that is the guiding principle.

Many NATO allies are concerned about the U.S. system, which would be based in Poland and the Czech Republic to shoot down missiles fired by what Washington calls "rogue states" such as Iran and North Korea.

The Financial Times quoted NATO officials as saying that the U.S. program would protect almost all of Europe but not the southeast, which would need an extra, shorter-range system because of its proximity to Iran.

The paper quoted de Hoop Scheffer as saying the U.S. program could be complemented by existing NATO plans to put a battlefield missile defense system into operation by 2010.

"We are already moving forward with developing systems to protect deployed forces, rather than population centers and territories," it quoted him as saying. "There could be at a later stage a relationship between the two systems."

De Hoop Scheffer made clear he believed there was a real missile threat to Europe.

"There is every reason to believe that, given the North Korean missile tests and the Iranian capability and what the Iranians are saying," the FT quoted him as saying.

At a news conference after an EU summit in Brussels on Friday, French President Jacques Chirac warned the U.S. system could reopen old divisions on the European continent.

The Czech Republic last week rejected criticism of talks with the United States over its possible participation after Luxembourg said it threatened new tensions with Russia.

Britain has voiced an interest in taking part in any U.S. system.
    sigpic

I forgot, France wants the system all for themselves.

Bottom line, it's free military protection for Europe at the expense of US tax dollars. I'm guessing the system has certain range limits that require it to be placed on the Eastern edge of NATO and the EU. The threat comes from the east of Europe. So France can go **** itself. I don't see France putting up a missle defense system for anyone.

Ohh, I forgot, for the fairness of all, each country should get one provided complimentary from the US.

As the world intergrates even more and as humanity continues in the correct direction, this missle defense system will become obslete in the future anyways as the threat shrinks as more and more nations are assimliated into the system.

Comment

If the system has certain "gaps", such as in the Southeastern portion of Europe, maybe that can be fixed by adding more sites farther South into Greece or something?

Comment

What about New Zealand? I guess they also would wish to join the community of defended nations...

Comment

The US must give complimentary ABM because the whole issue of contesting Russia is a US strategic requirement!

Or is US doing Europe a favour by wanting to have Europe as US 'sphere of influence'?

Whatever I understand it is totally in US' interest to keep the numbers on US' side and Europe is sure more loyal to the US cause than any other nations. Maybe Australia is a better ally so long as their current PM lasts.
          Last edited by Ray; 13 Mar 07,, 19:20.

"Some have learnt many Tricks of sly Evasion, Instead of Truth they use Equivocation, And eke it out with mental Reservation, Which is to good Men an Abomination."

I don't have to attend every argument I'm invited to.

HAKUNA MATATA

Comment

Instead of buying our allies in Europe, I'm for letting Europe get nuked by Iran just to prove a point.

Wait...then we'll be the bad guys because we didn't deploy our missile defense systems when we know the threat exists and have the means to stop it.
            "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by MrFirst View Post
              What about New Zealand? I guess they also would wish to join the community of defended nations...
              Well there you go, here's me thinking Russians didn't understand how to use sarcasm
              In the realm of spirit, seek clarity; in the material world, seek utility.

Leibniz

Comment

Originally posted by gunnut View Post
                Instead of buying our allies in Europe, I'm for letting Europe get nuked by Iran just to prove a point.

Wait...then we'll be the bad guys because we didn't deploy our missile defense systems when we know the threat exists and have the means to stop it.
                The problem is that they might join up with Iran instead and then what happens?

"Some have learnt many Tricks of sly Evasion, Instead of Truth they use Equivocation, And eke it out with mental Reservation, Which is to good Men an Abomination."

I don't have to attend every argument I'm invited to.

HAKUNA MATATA

Comment

No one will cry if you go .

I reallt doubt the EU will ever have to suffer at the hands of Iran........ or indeed any muslim country.
                  Although it is not true that all conservatives are stupid people, it is true that most stupid people are conservative.
                  - John Stuart Mill.

Comment

Originally posted by Parihaka View Post
                    Well there you go, here's me thinking Russians didn't understand how to use sarcasm
                    Oh, the English sarcasm causes the Russians to feel very similar feelings, believe me. I'm glad just because you have understood this was a sarcasm. Good sign, anyway. :)
                    Last edited by MrFirst; 14 Mar 07,, 17:22.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray View Post
                      The problem is that they might join up with Iran instead and then what happens?
                      Then we know where Europe stands. :)

Comment

Originally posted by crooks View Post
                        No one will cry if you go .

I reallt doubt the EU will ever have to suffer at the hands of Iran........ or indeed any muslim country.
                        Muslims don't plan to invade Europe. They tried. They failed.

This time they will subvert you from the inside. Already more people attend the Friday prayers in mosques in London than Sunday mass in churches. Before you know it, they will become a major voting bloc and start to influence your internal policies.

I just don't understand why the "progressives" in Europe dislikes christianity so much while simultaneously embracing islam, the more militaristic, more intolerant religion?

Comment

Muslims don't plan to invade Europe. They tried. They failed.

This time they will subvert you from the inside. Already more people attend the Friday prayers in mosques in London than Sunday mass in churches. Before you know it, they will become a major voting bloc and start to influence your internal policies.
                          But he is from Dublin...

Comment

Originally posted by MrFirst View Post
                            But he is from Dublin...
                            Where do you think the muslims will go after they have subverted England? Somehow I doubt they'll say "hey we're done here, let's stop at the Irish border because taking over Europe is enough and we have no desire to move west."

Comment

Where do you think the muslims will go after they have subverted England? Somehow I doubt they'll say "hey we're done here, let's stop at the Irish border because taking over Europe is enough and we have no desire to move west."
                              Aha... I see this horrible picture...
                              It's time to conduct a counter-terrorist operation in London. Right now. Russian Army is ready. We didn't join you in Iraq but now we will! Come on!

Comment

Working...
                              X