Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Nation that has failed at democracy; Nation that has succeeded at democracy.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nation that has failed at democracy; Nation that has succeeded at democracy.

Please name two case studies of nations that since the end of the Cold War have attempted to establish democracies. One of the nations must have succeeded, the other failed. Why did the nations succeed or fail? Any reference to links/books/persons/etc would be highly appreciated.

Originally posted by Franco Lolan
    Please name two case studies of nations that since the end of the Cold War have attempted to establish democracies. One of the nations must have succeeded, the other failed. Why did the nations succeed or fail? Any reference to links/books/persons/etc would be highly appreciated.
    *Sniff sniff* I smell an essay question....

Failed: Haiti - became an independent state, now poorest western state, elections held in 1990s, first democratically elected president. Survived first coup attempt however could not fight a second. Clashes between opposition militia and government supporters, ongoing since 2000, exploded into a full-fledged insurrection in February 2004. Also some stuff going on with it concerning France and the Bush administration, think it used to be a French colony.

New democracy: Russia

Comment

do u have to write essay on it and u want us to do the job. ?? ;)

Comment

Russia ?
        Democracy ? Its more like democrazy.
        But then it will make it.

Comment

i think it will at least with leaders like putin future of russia is secure and prosperous. In fact there have been reports saying russia as amongst the 4 new rising economies of the 21st century denoted by BRIC who will eventually become stronger than the G8 economically by 2050.

Comment

Russia seems very dangerous as a choice because of the present restructuring of government. In my opinion, at this moment, it can't be qualified as a successful democracy.

Haiti, maybe.

Yes, its an essay. I have time. I have ideas. However, I would like ideas from you guys. Keep brainstorming please.

Comment

Research Haiti.

There is more than what one perceives.

It is a failed democracy. Why? Who is responsible? Why did the last govt fail.

It is quite fascinating.

Isn't it interesting as to who organised it and who all joined the emergency force under the UN? Imagine France joining in with the US and the US not getting repelled!

What was the role of Dominican Republic?

Who were the leaders of the coup in actuality and who funded them?

Was the president a real freak?

Why was the President banished to Africa?

Why did the African country accept him?

It is an essay by itself.

"Some have learnt many Tricks of sly Evasion, Instead of Truth they use Equivocation, And eke it out with mental Reservation, Which is to good Men an Abomination."

I don't have to attend every argument I'm invited to.

HAKUNA MATATA

Comment

succeeding democracy, small fry perhaps, but East Timor, the worlds newest nation
                In the realm of spirit, seek clarity; in the material world, seek utility.

Leibniz

Comment

Working...
                X