X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Karthik View Post
    Yo congrats Texasjohn! :)
    Thanks bud!:)
    Last edited by texasjohn; 06 Mar 07,, 03:55.

Comment

damn, missed to vote.

Congrats John.
      A grain of wheat eclipsed the sun of Adam !!

Comment

Originally posted by Jay View Post
        damn, missed to vote.

Congrats John.
        Rumba nandri! Did I get that right?
        Last edited by texasjohn; 06 Mar 07,, 04:06.

Comment

My hearty congratulations to Texas John. I think what got them was that extraordinary detail of the cockpit. My hands are definitely too clumsy for that.

As for the "Wash Job" on my M-41, though I have done "Weathering" on many of my HO model train cars, I didn't do it on the tank. That's just REAL dust from sitting in my trophy cabinet for so many years. But I deliberately left it there because it was much more realistic as to where a tank actually gathers dust.
          Able to leap tall tales in a single groan.

Comment

Originally posted by RustyBattleship View Post
            My hearty congratulations to Texas John. I think what got them was that extraordinary detail of the cockpit. My hands are definitely too clumsy for that.

As for the "Wash Job" on my M-41, though I have done "Weathering" on many of my HO model train cars, I didn't do it on the tank. That's just REAL dust from sitting in my trophy cabinet for so many years. But I deliberately left it there because it was much more realistic as to where a tank actually gathers dust.
            Thanks a million bud!

I still need to get with you on the "Weathering" thing. I am not sure how to do that with the bf-109 balsa model I am now building.

Also, my B-17 ( Memphis Belle) has real dust from hanging off the garage roof!! It does look "weathered"

I was going to take it down, blow off only superficial dust, then weather the landing gear with grease, etc. I hope you don't mind "off the wall" questions!

Comment

Originally posted by texasjohn View Post
              Thanks a million bud!

I still need to get with you on the "Weathering" thing. I am not sure how to do that with the bf-109 balsa model I am now building.

I hope you don't mind "off the wall" questions!
              Almost every question put to me is "Off the Wall" to begin with. Especially from my wife and she gets angry if I don't understand what she is saying when changing subjects almost in mid-sentence.

When the modeling contest on this board gets to model trains (I don't have any dioramas set up anymore) I'll post some of those I worked on. It's really fairly easy and fun to do. Especially with coal cars. The "dustier" they are the more realistic it is.

On airplanes, however, there shouldn't be any real "weathering" except where mud may have been splashed up under the wing from the landing gear. The biggest mistake most modelers do with military airplanes is to paint them with a gloss or semi-gloss paint. It must be FLAT. But there is some liquids you can buy at the hobby shop that will flatten gloss paint.

That's a funny thing though about decals. You have to apply a gloss to the model first and then apply a flat after the decals are dry.

Never could figure that one out.

Before painting, do not wash the model with soapy water as usually recommended. Use a quick brushing (an old toothbrush is perfect) with paint thinner. Then the surface is perfect for applying paint.
              Last edited by RustyBattleship; 06 Mar 07,, 06:15.
              Able to leap tall tales in a single groan.

Comment

Congratulations.

I thought your acceptance speech would be in the line of the Oscars! :)

Vive La Martiniere!

Rusty, Marquez and Somail,

Your entries were real good too. I wish I had the patience and industriousness that you all have. Lucky you all!

"Some have learnt many Tricks of sly Evasion, Instead of Truth they use Equivocation, And eke it out with mental Reservation, Which is to good Men an Abomination."

I don't have to attend every argument I'm invited to.

HAKUNA MATATA

Comment

Originally posted by glyn View Post
                  Stage 7 will happen when (if?) I get so disgusted with myself that I actually knuckle down and do it. I am unable to predict when Stage 7 will occur
                  Would constant reminders (like twice a day) help with your motivation. I wouldn't mind opening a new thread for the sole purpose of 'inspiring' you.:) .

TJ congrats man. ARe you motivated enough now to start a new project?

Comment

Rumba nandri! Did I get that right?
                    Almost ;) Its Romba Nandri :)
                    A grain of wheat eclipsed the sun of Adam !!

Comment

Originally posted by kams View Post
                      Would constant reminders (like twice a day) help with your motivation. I wouldn't mind opening a new thread for the sole purpose of 'inspiring' you.:) .

TJ congrats man. ARe you motivated enough now to start a new project?
                      Ah yes! A new "Glyn inspirational thread" ," the conqueror build" thread!

Comment

Originally posted by Jay View Post
                        Almost ;) Its Romba Nandri :)
                        The google search for "thank you in Tamil" was wrong!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Ray View Post
                          Congratulations.

I thought your acceptance speech would be in the line of the Oscars! :)

Vive La Martiniere!

Rusty, Marquez and Somail,

Your entries were real good too. I wish I had the patience and industriousness that you all have. Lucky you all!
                          Thank you sir.

LABOR ET CONSTANTIA!

Comment

Thank you one and all for the votes.

I must accept this with much HUMILITY, simply because, I have seen the work of REAL modellers like Nord, Dalem etc. who either missed the deadline or were not aware of the contest. Had the likes of them contributed, they would have smoked me. I have 3 other models I am building and hope to improve as I do.

GLYN, is in the process of building a couple of tanks - perhaps it can be a joint effort by the tankies here!!!! Right Glyn??:)
                            One is a cesspit and t'other is in his attic!!!

Comment

Working...
                            X