Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Greatest invention man created throughout history?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Time..as in 24hrs.the humble watch/clock. Without time nothing moves

Comment

Originally posted by dave lukins View Post
      Time..as in 24hrs.the humble watch/clock. Without time nothing moves
      Already existed, the 24 hour thing, it's called a day ;)
      In the realm of spirit, seek clarity; in the material world, seek utility.

Leibniz

Comment

Originally posted by Parihaka View Post
        Parihaka raises his hand

Ha! Wing or flipper more like, judging from your avatar. Which do you think came first, language or the abilty to create fire?
        Semper in excretum. Solum profunda variat.

Comment

No. I am not going to leave it there, Harry Parka! Language is not an invention, as it had no designer or inventor. It is something that evolved over time.

Comment

Originally posted by Parihaka View Post
            Nobody tell Bluesman about this thread, he'll try to tell us it's four-engined heavy bombers

Hence proving your point that language is the 'greatest invention'. With mere words you caused me to fall to the floor in spasms of laughter.

Comment

I'd go with either language, mathematics (though it can be a language, it is important for the "arithmetic" part more), or the alphabet.

Essentially, there probably has always been some kind of language. Even most dumb animals have a language of some sort. So it is debateable to whether or not man created it. But let's say he did and also did any other of the above which might be interpreted to exist in the animal world, such bee movements for navigation which might be seen both as an alphabet and mathematics.

The thing about the alphabet is that one doesn't need to know all the different symbols for all the different examples, unlike pictographs or grunts and gestures.

And mathematics? Those societies that had some form probably advanced better than those societies that didn't.
              ----------------------------------
              ("Mr. Garibaldi, I see the image in your mind that you picture me as pinata. How nice that you see me as something filled with toys to bring joy to children. It makes me feel much better about our relationship."--PsiCop Bester on a stakeout, reinterpreting the real reason why Garibaldi saw him as a pinata, (w,stte), "Babylon V")

Comment

The finger!!!! How else could you scratch your balls, pick your ass or scoop your nose?

Mathematics, it trancends language. It is the universal language. It is everything.
                No sea too rough, no muf* too tough.

Comment

Language is not really an invention it is simply the evolution of basic special communication.

I am goign to put forward the simple plow in all its various evolutions form simple breaking stick of the neolithic to the modern mechanized versions.

Comment

pottasium nitrate 15 parts charcoal 3 parts and sulpher 2 parts and other simliar low explosives.

Comment

Mathematics is, in a way, a language.

Comment

Part of the question that must be asked is if some great invention would exist if something invented before it didn't exist?

Would everything afterwards exist, be "discovered", if man hadn't invented the knowledge to steal the kill out of the tree of the panther (bad news for the cat)?

Hence, man's greatest invention? Observation and evaluation.
                        ------------------------------------------
                        (After Alex has revealed his plan to use the second EMP satellite to rob the bank of England. "You think you are great genius, Alex, but in reality, nothing more than a common thief."--007, (w,stte), "Goldeneye")

Comment

[QUOTE=SnowLeopard;348138]

Hence, man's greatest invention? Observation and evaluation.

No. Observation was not a man-made invention. Animals at every level in the food chain observe, or become prey. Evaluation is employed by all sentient creatures, not just man. The 2 points are the results of evolution.

Comment

how come nobody mentioned a wheel?
                            isn't it a great invention?
                            "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" B. Franklin

Comment

It's a good invention, but not completely necessary for societies to flourish. Just look at the Native Americans.
                              "The right man in the wrong place can make all the difference in the world. So wake up, Mr. Freeman. Wake up and smell the ashes." G-Man

Comment

Originally posted by leibstandarte10 View Post
                                It's a good invention, but not completely necessary for societies to flourish. Just look at the Native Americans.
                                Did they not have the wheel? One of the little tricks that shows up in forensic anthropology (looking at the bones) is that Native Americans tended to have worn enamel from the grinding tools of thier food. Ie, leaving coarse rock in their food. Now, I always took that to mean a grinding wheel, not going to look it up tonight, but I suppose it could have been some other tool. Nevertheless, the trick is there.
                                --------------------------------------
                                ("Starbug was built to last!"--Kryten
                                "That's the truth. During the 20th century, they found that what survived out of each accident was a cute 5 year old girl. Starbug is built out of the same stuff!" --Dave Lister, (wtte), Red Dwarf "Sirens")

Comment

Working...
                                X