Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Who are the top 10 superpowers globally??

Staff Emeritus
    What the colonel is saying is that despite the small size of the CF, they can actually deploy an integrated combat force around the world effectively. The same is true for the UK.

China can't, Israel can't, India can't, etc, etc, etc. Not even Russia can.

They are all regional powers.

The United States is the one and only true superpower in the world. Indeed it was the French that termed the coin "Hyper power" when referring to the US.

There's the US military, then there's everyone else.

Military Enthusiast Senior Contributor
    By the way,

does US retain the ability to fight two full scale wars at the same time?

Dirty Kiwi Senior Contributor
    Quote Originally Posted by Blademaster
    By the way,

does US retain the ability to fight two full scale wars at the same time?
    now there's a question!

With the diminishing of the US Army's manpower, I do not think that US can fight a 2 war situation.

The way I look at it is that US is spread thinly all around the globe. Yes US does have extraordinary capability to withdraw most of the forces and concentrate in one spot with several months. But as it is right now, US forces are spread out thinkly.

The US Army needs to boost up its manpower to 750,000. Right now, it is less than half a million. It is the smallest branch of the US military.

Staff Emeritus
    2 regional wars, certainly.

By it's very nature, a 'full scale war' would require every swinging dick in one theater.

Senior Contributor
    The US Army needs to boost up its manpower to 750,000. Right now, it is less than half a million. It is the smallest branch of the US military.
    are you being sarcastic or understating as rhetorical device, or are you serious that it is "smallest branch"?

1. USA
    2. Russia
    3. China
    4. India
    5. France
    6. UK
    7. Germany
    8. Japan
    9. Israel
    10. Italy

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Officer of Engineers
    Completely meaningless and arbituary. Most of these countries are limited to their own regions. While having vast military machines, they cannot compete well outside their regions. India, China, and Israel are far weaker than Canada in Europe.
    I wouldn't say its meaningless to the question asked. I bet Canada would be just as inafectual as Australia if we had to go up against India or China or probably 30 to 40 % of the worlds armies head to head on even terms, not worrying about deployment and such. I don't understand why you have centred your assessment around Europe.

Also, i reckon one or two ex Warsaw countries may be able to slip into that list.

Officer of Engineers
    Simply such terms are completely meaningless in the real world. During the Kosovo War when the Chinese Embassy got bombed. Chinese nationalists were threatening to send a 100,000 man army to Yugoslavia. My response - bring it on.

Chinese power is extremely limited outside of her region. We said sorry about the embassy and moved on, ignoring Chinese demands about including her in any investigations or postwar involvement. The Russians fared better by sending a motor coy to Pristina but extremely limited. They wanted a sector of their own but came under a joint sector with the Americans. The Canadians, however, got a sector of their own.

We would not be going up against India or China in a heads on fight alone. That's not our doctrine. However, I have complete confidence that my battle group can take on and kill any Chinese brigade or regiment.

Aside from the ABCA (American, British, Canadian, and Australian) countries and France, no other country on earth has deployed battle groups and brigades around the world consistantly. The former USSR did but Russia withdrew big time since then.

Banned
    Simply such terms are completely meaningless in the real world. During the Kosovo War when the Chinese Embassy got bombed. Chinese nationalists were threatening to send a 100,000 man army to Yugoslavia. My response - bring it on.

Chinese power is extremely limited outside of her region. We said sorry about the embassy and moved on, ignoring Chinese demands about including her in any investigations or postwar involvement. The Russians fared better by sending a motor coy to Pristina but extremely limited. They wanted a sector of their own but came under a joint sector with the Americans. The Canadians, however, got a sector of their own.

We would not be going up against India or China in a heads on fight alone. That's not our doctrine. However, I have complete confidence that my battle group can take on and kill any Chinese brigade or regiment.

Aside from the ABCA (American, British, Canadian, and Australian) countries and France, no other country on earth has deployed battle groups and brigades around the world consistantly. The former USSR did but Russia withdrew big time since then.

So you associate strength with deployability? I might agree if the question was "which ten countries have the best deployable force?' However, the nature of the question doesn't mention that.

At an idividual state level (no allies like the question asks) I doubt Canada could direct any power at China. Pretty sure China could direct some at Canada tho.

Out of the countries you list, only USA has deployed battle groups around the globe, Britain, Canada, and Austrailia don't have anything significant.
    Last edited by rationalist; 24 Nov 04, at 16:58.

I would not say that the USSR really deployed large forces around the world.

They always had "advisors" or technical experts in their client states, but for strictly large scale military ventures, Afghanistan was the only place they deployed large combat forces.

Of course there were Soviet forces in the Warsaw pact countries during the Cold War, but they were there more to keep the satellite countries in line rather than to project offensive combat power.

Just because a country has large military forces, that alone does not IMO qualify them for "Superpower" status. Look at Iraq's armed forces prior to GW1.

If the original question sought to identify the world's most powerful military forces, then most of the responses would be basically correct. Superpower status implies far more.

I agree, although the question did not specify, that "deployability" of a military force outside of it's normal sphere of influence is paramount for global ranking. If you have a million man army that can't go anywhere, it might as well be a domestic police force.

Forgive me, I have not learned all of the tools yet for quoting etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Franco Lolan
    are you being sarcastic or understating as rhetorical device, or are you serious that it is "smallest branch"?
    It is indeed the smallest branch.

It is indeed the smallest branch.
    http://www.nationmaster.com/country/us/Military

Check the link, the numbers are not totally up to date, but it shows that the US Army is not the smallest branch of the US Military.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Nidan1
    I agree, although the question did not specify, that "deployability" of a military force outside of it's normal sphere of influence is paramount for global ranking. If you have a million man army that can't go anywhere, it might as well be a domestic police force.

Forgive me, I have not learned all of the tools yet for quoting etc.
    I have to disagree, if you have a million man army and another country has respect for you because of that, then you have power. You may not be able to project that power, but the other guy can't project their power onto you. Its still power.

It's probably a subjective concept, some like to project others just like to be cool

Thread Information