This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by xerxes View Post
    I dont think i have read this ... sounds very familiar. I have read another book on Vietnam called the "Rise & Fall Of The American Army".. something like that. it covered Vietnam
    Yeah, the name of the guy who wrote it escapes me at the moment. It's interesting but not the greatest read (I'm fairly sure he copy/pasted every description of combat), and only covers the American Army.

Meanwhile, on the list:

Anything by Richard Overy, but particularly Why The Allies Won and Russia's War - probably the best single volume history of the Eastern Front in English at the moment.

Stephen Bungay's The Most Dangerous Enemy is probably the best analysis of the Battle of Britain to date.

Max Hastings - I disagree with most of what he writes, but still worth a look.

Robin Niellands - Controversial, to say the least. Usually seeks to challenge what he sees a prevailing myths on topics such as generalship on the Western Front, the effects/morality of the Combined Bomber Offensive and the Battle of Normandy.

Comment

i am soo sick of WWII literature materials ... its like being addicted to smoking ... finally i got out few years ago .. thank you very much

I heard in this forum that Cobra II is perhapes a good literature work on the Iraq war, what others do you suggest ...

Comment

America Caesar-William Manchester

Panzer Leader-Hienz Guderian

Scorched Earth-Paul Carrel
        Desert Foxes-Paul Carrel

Guadal Canal-Richard Frank

Comment

"There's a War to be Won!: The U.S. Army in WWII" - Geoffrey Peret.

"Angel in the Whirlwind" - Benson Bobrick. (American Revolutionary War)

"To Shining Sea: A History of the United States Navy 1775 - 1991" - Stephen Howarth

Those are three on 3 different subjects that stand out in my mind.

-dale

Comment

The Arms of Krupp by William Manchester

WW2DB: The Arms of Krupp

Shattered Sword by Jon Parshall and Tony Tully

WW2DB: Shattered Sword
            Pete

Comment

Originally posted by xerxes View Post
              I heard in this forum that Cobra II is perhapes a good literature work on the Iraq war, what others do you suggest ...
              http://www.worldaffairsboard.com/war...iew-essay.html
              "So little pains do the vulgar take in the investigation of truth, accepting readily the first story that comes to hand." Thucydides 1.20.3

Comment

"The Last Valley - The French Defeat at Dien Bien Phu" by Martin Windrow. Excellent book, covers the Indo-China war in a fair bit of detail before taking a really in-depth look at Dien Bien Phu. Destroys a lot of the myths that have been built up about that battle as well.

"The Fall of the Roman Empire" by Peter Heather is really good as well - he does a good job at arguing against the conclusions reached in Gibbons "Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire".

"1812 - Napoleon's Fatal March on Moscow" by Adam Zamoyski is an excellent account of that campaign. Very wel written and researched.

Comment

I found this book to be amazing source of info based on reviews.
                  I did not read it yet.

The Prize - The Epic Quest for Oil, Money, & Power

Comment

Eagle against the sun

Korea the First War we Lost by Bevin Alexander

How Hitler Could Have Won WWII by Bevin Alexander

American Ceaser

Marine! <---- Chesty Puller's life. H*ll yeah
                    Last edited by CGXC runner; 07 Sep 08,, 15:45.

Comment

Anyone have any suggestions for early modern European history? I've been looking around, but I haven't found anything too interesting...

Comment

Originally posted by ace16807 View Post
                        Anyone have any suggestions for early modern European history? I've been looking around, but I haven't found anything too interesting...

Can you define the time frame a little better?

And which part(s) of Europe?
                        “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
                        Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Albany Rifles View Post
                          Can you define the time frame a little better?

And which part(s) of Europe?
                          Renaissance-Reign of Louis XIV time era wise.

If there's anything for Europe as a whole, that would be nice, but If I must pick, Western Europe/England.

Comment

1434: The Year a Magnificent Chinese Fleet Sailed to Italy and Ignited the Renaissance by Gavin Menzies

Its good, a bit controversial and so is his other book so hope this helps:)

Comment

Did anyone had the chance to read the following book:

I like to hear some WAB-oriented comments from those who read it. The author - Professor Carroll Quigley - apprently was Bill Clinton's mentor during his university days.

Tragedy & Hope: A History of the World in Our Time
                              by
                              Carroll Quigley

Comment

Renaissance-Reign of Louis XIV time era wise.

If there's anything for Europe as a whole, that would be nice, but If I must pick, Western Europe/England.
                                A Distant Mirror: The Calamitous 14th Century by Barbara Tuchman

You could also try A World Lit Only by Fire by William Manchester, but read it with a critical eye. He is pushing an agenda as much as telling a story, and his sometimes gets details wrong.

Comment

Working...
                                X