X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Preacher of hate 'who praised 7/7 bombers' is arrested

Preacher of hate 'who praised 7/7 bombers' is arrested

Abu Izzadeen

A Muslim preacher of hate who barracked the Home Secretary was arrested on Thursday over claims he has encouraged terrorism.

Abu Izzadeen, 31, a London-born convert, was being questioned over a speech he made apparently praising the London bombers and mocking victims of suicide attacks.

In an address in Birmingham last July, later posted on the Internet, he is said to have made fun of non-Muslims as "animals" and "cowards".

VIDEO: Watch one of Abu Izzadeen's speeches below. You may find some of his comments offensive.

See related articles ...

• Profile of an Extremist

Izzadeen, who has previously described the London bombers as "completely praiseworthy", identified with the views of Mohammad Sidique Khan, the ringleader of the London attacks.

He is claimed to have contrasted the supposed bravery of Khan's suicide to the "kuffar" (non Muslims) who are characterised as debauched binge-drinkers who vomit and urinate in the street.

The speech was peppered with jokes that brought laughter from his audience at a community centre in the Small Heath, five days before the first anniversary of the 7/7 bombings.

At one point he said that the September 11 attacks on the World Trade Centre "changed many people's lives". After a pause, he is said to have brought the house down by adding: "Especially those inside."

His comments came at a private meeting, thought to have been organised by the Islamic Research Forum.

But his speech reached a far bigger audience because a video was posted on an extremist group's website ahead of a memorial service for the 52 people killed by four suicide bombers on London transport.

After an investigation by Scotland Yard's Counter Terrorism Command, he was detained in Leyton, East London, Thursday.

Tensions increased in some sections of the Muslim community over police anti-terror tactics. Questions were asked about the timing of Izzadeen's arrest.

It follows the release of two men who were arrested in Birmingham in connection with an alleged plot to kidnap and behead a Muslim soldier.

Hours before Izzadeen was arrested, one of the nine suspects held over an alleged beheading plot claimed Britain had turned into a "police state for Muslims".

Abu Bakr spoke out after he and another man were released without charge after spending a week in custody.

Inayat Bunglawala, assistant secretary general of the Muslim Council of Britain, said: "Abu Izzadeen is a character who has made some incendiary remarks in the past. He is someone who the mainstream Muslim community has kept at a distance because of his attempts to create mischief.

"This arrest does not come as a surprise to many, I expect, however he is entitled to a fair trial and if police believe he has broken any laws he is entitled to due process."

But he added: "I think there will be some cynicism about the timing of this arrest, coming 24 hours after two men arrested last week were released without charge."

Radical Muslim leader Anjem Choudhury responded to news of Izzadeen's arrest by saying Muslims were now the subject of a "witchhunt".

Despite the Government's attempt to crack down on the "preachers of hate", Izzadeen, a former electrician born into a Christian family of Jamaican origin, has continued to speak out publicly.

Last September he interrupted the Home Secretary's speech at a public meeting in Leytonstone, East London.

John Reid asked Muslim parents to keep a close eye on their children and act if they suspected they were being radicalised. In front of TV cameras, Izzadeen shouted: "How dare you come to a Muslim area when over 1,000 Muslims have been arrested?

"You are an enemy of Islam and Muslims, you are a tyrant. Shame on all of us for sitting down and listening to him. State terrorism by British police."

Before being led from the building by police and stewards, Izzadeen said Dr Reid, Tony Blair and George Bush could "all go to hell".

Izzadeen came to prominence after refusing to condemn the 7/7 bombings. He is a former spokesman for the radical Islamic group Al Ghurabaa, an offshoot of Al Muhajiroun - both of which are now banned in the UK.

A separate video, apparently recorded by Izzadeen in 2004 and discovered on a password-protected extremist website, has been passed to police, who will assess whether his comments have broken the law.

Izzadeen, born Trevor Brooks, was arrested for an offence which carries a maximum seven-year jail sentence.

Link to video
    In the realm of spirit, seek clarity; in the material world, seek utility.

Leibniz

Exile seems like a better punishment to me.
    Facts to a liberal is like Kryptonite to Superman.

-- Larry Elder

Comment

What I would sure like to know as to why he converted!

Let people get to the root of the motivation! There must be something terrific for a person to convert and adopt only the violent aspect of a religion!

What is that? Frustration, anger at society, wants to be in the limelight or sincerely believes in the religion or what?

Then, things will pan out.
      Last edited by Ray; 09 Feb 07,, 11:18.

"Some have learnt many Tricks of sly Evasion, Instead of Truth they use Equivocation, And eke it out with mental Reservation, Which is to good Men an Abomination."

I don't have to attend every argument I'm invited to.

HAKUNA MATATA

Comment

although its sad what hes saying it seems like for just about anything they will start arresting people over there. critisizm and insults warrant arrest now?
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Deioces View Post
          although its sad what hes saying it seems like for just about anything they will start arresting people over there. critisizm and insults warrant arrest now?
          I am sure you are more intelligent than your post makes you seem.

About time, its these kinds of speeches that are corrupting the young minds of the UK

Abu Izzadeen - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
          sigpicFEAR NAUGHT

Should raw analytical data ever be passed to policy makers?

Comment

Last time I check, giving aide and comfort to the enemy is still an act of treason.

Comment

What is that? Frustration, anger at society, wants to be in the limelight or sincerely believes in the religion or what?
              Being a loser and taking solace in religion. We do see failures becoming religious sometimes.

Being an electrician, no good pay, no wimmen to dance or sleep with...well you do get frustrated. Right then somebody is offering you the 72.....

Comment

He is actually breaking the law - an Act of Parliament - by making statements which could incite religious acts of violence. Put the boot on the other foot - if it was a CofE vicar saying all christians should rise up and attack and kill muslims then an arrest would be immediate so please do not confuse criticism with incitement to kill.

Comment

Well, one can thank one's stars that no Moslem leader is claiming that Trevor Brooks is a 'plant' of the non Moslems aimed to give Islam a bad name and demonise them!

"Some have learnt many Tricks of sly Evasion, Instead of Truth they use Equivocation, And eke it out with mental Reservation, Which is to good Men an Abomination."

HAKUNA MATATA

Comment

It's the fear of death.

Originally posted by Ray View Post
                    What I would sure like to know as to why he converted!

Let people get to the root of the motivation! There must be something terrific for a person to convert and adopt only the violent aspect of a religion!

Then, things will pan out.

The Peace-Niks will convert if their motivation is fear of death...
                    Some for morals being lost in west. Some of the radical assertions are correct as to the vomiting and urinating in the streets are concerned. It's the same kind of disgusting things people are complaining about in San Francisco.

Ivan

Comment

Originally posted by Ray View Post
                      Well, one can thank one's stars that no Moslem leader is claiming that Trevor Brooks is a 'plant' of the non Moslems aimed to give Islam a bad name and demonise them!
                      A very good observation Brigadier:) Well spotted

Comment

If vomiting and urinating on streets is what is making the Moslem radicals,then don't vomit and urinate on the streets in front of their houses.

Maybe that will help! ;) :)

HAKUNA MATATA

Comment

Originally posted by Parihaka View Post
                          In front of TV cameras, Izzadeen shouted: "How dare you come to a Muslim area when over 1,000 Muslims have been arrested?
                          What the heck ?!! Is it some kind of a liberated zone?
                          Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie!'...till you can find a rock. ;)

Comment

Originally posted by dave lukins View Post
                            A very good observation Brigadier:) Well spotted
                            Dave,

I am an 'expert'.

We face the same problem daily.

Even today some Moslem chaps whose land was acquired by the govt for industry in Bengal, claimed that they were being discriminated being Moslems.

The Chief minister lambasted them and gave statistics as to how much more the Moslems have got from the govt than any other community.

This Moslem "card" for blackmail riles me intensely.

Damn chaps can't face the world on their own merits.

Always weeping and begging for hand outs!

I can speak for the situation in India.

HAKUNA MATATA

Comment

Originally posted by hammer View Post
                              What the heck ?!! Is it some kind of a liberated zone?
                              If you've ever been to the Forest Gate district of East London, then you will realise why he stated what he did - you play 'spot the white man' in that area!

Comment

Working...
                              X