Thread: The Future PLAAF?

-{SpoonmaN}-

The Future PLAAF?

With all this talk about China, I was wondering what you lot think the PLAAF will really able to do in, say, 10 years time. No doubt they're on to a good thing with their Flanker program, especially when compared to their miserable failures in modernisation like the Super-7, but only 400 or so aircraft are on the cards, which is not going to be enough to make China a serious air power.
    The J-10 probably wouldn't be so bad, but then again it's doubtful that it will achieve a lot in light of the serious problems China has with avionics and engines.
    They also really need to replace thier Badgers, but all attempts at buying the Tu-22M have failed. What do y'all think?

Senior Contributor
    prob AWACS in half a decade. right now they can probably establish Air superiority over Taiwan.

i think chineese will still need another two decades to be strong nough to be a military power. As of today and for next few years US has noone near its competition

Senior Contributor
    does everyone agree they can establish air superiority over Taiwan if Carrier forces aren't there fast enough?

can Guam forces fly to Taiwan?

-{SpoonmaN}-
    If the USAF still has it's B-1s in Guam I think they'd be in striking range, but I doubt that the aircraft on Guam alone would be enough. However if the US had time to deploy their carriers, and to bring more land-based aircraft in, then it's doubtful the PLAAF would be able to last for long. They'd probably be able to inflict a lot of damage though.

Tamizhanban Senior Contributor Jay's Avatar
    PLAAF is not gonna inflict more damages to USN or USAF but the shore based SAM's and Ship/Submarine based supersonic missiles will, if at all they can. Nearest US forces are in Japan, Afghanistan, Persian gulf and Diego Garcia. Its a matter of days for US forces to regroup and hit PLAAF. And PLAAF cannot easily acheive air superiorty over Taiwan, they first need to take out Taiwan's defense and thats quite a task for PLAAF.
    A grain of wheat eclipsed the sun of Adam !!

Senior Contributor
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay
    PLAAF is not gonna inflict more damages to USN or USAF but the shore based SAM's and Ship/Submarine based supersonic missiles will, if at all they can. Nearest US forces are in Japan, Afghanistan, Persian gulf and Diego Garcia. Its a matter of days for US forces to regroup and hit PLAAF. And PLAAF cannot easily acheive air superiorty over Taiwan, they first need to take out Taiwan's defense and thats quite a task for PLAAF.
    yes, subs are biggest threat to Carrier Groups.

"first need to take out Taiwan's defense and thats quite a task for PLAAF" why? SAMs more than aircraft, right?

well chineese should use cruise missiles to take out SAM areas before attacking using their AF.

-{SpoonmaN}-
    I think they're putting a lot of effort into their cruise missile program, so I guess they have the same idea.

Thread Information