New Laptop..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Laptop..

Picked up the latest IBM core duo laptop last evening, the off the shelf config was so sweet that I didn't need to order customizations. INR 60K not bad for 'Rusty'.

Installed Ubuntu server and updated, transfered data all night .. I'm now feeling good!
    I rant, therefore I am.

Originally posted by Srirangan View Post
    Picked up the latest IBM core duo laptop last evening, the off the shelf config was so sweet that I didn't need to order customizations. INR 60K not bad for 'Rusty'.

Installed Ubuntu server and updated, transfered data all night .. I'm now feeling good!
    Whats the config?

Comment

Core Duo 1.6
      1 Gig DDR (will add another gig of RAM next month)
      Decent HDD (100gb, 2 partitions windows-linux, scsi)

hmm.. don't remember the rest .. am pretty tired, haven't slept ;)
      I rant, therefore I am.

Comment

Originally posted by Srirangan View Post
        Core Duo 1.6
        1 Gig DDR (will add another gig of RAM next month)
        Decent HDD (100gb, 2 partitions windows-linux, scsi)

hmm.. don't remember the rest .. am pretty tired, haven't slept ;)
        Ok..I am interested in the video card...go to bed now;) .

Comment

Should have gotten a Mac Book Pro!

Have fun anyway
          "you have enemies, good. That means you stood up for something, sometime in your life"

Comment

Originally posted by speedlover1994 View Post
            Should have gotten a Mac Book Pro!

Have fun anyway
            It is over priced.. terribly.. (at least here in New Delhi) .. I don't mind spending, but what's the point if it is not worth the buck?
            I rant, therefore I am.

Comment

Sri- XP or Vista??
              "We will go through our federal budget – page by page, line by line – eliminating those programs we don’t need, and insisting that those we do operate in a sensible cost-effective way." -President Barack Obama 11/25/2008

Comment

stick to xp..let vista "bed in" look again then make your decision

Comment

I'm looking at buying the outragously expensive Toshiba Qosmio. It is the first laptop to have an HD DVD drive. It also has a finger print scanner and an Intel Core Duo Processor T2400 1.83 GHz. One beautiful piece of kit. First saw it at "Digital Life" at the Javits Center in Manhatten where the first working, playable PS3 was unveiled.

Comment

Highsea,

Ubuntu w/ LAMP (PS: Linux) ;)

Will test out Vista sometime of course! MS is a seductress :)
                    I rant, therefore I am.

Comment

Originally posted by jame$thegreat View Post
                      I'm looking at buying the outragously expensive Toshiba Qosmio. It is the first laptop to have an HD DVD drive. It also has a finger print scanner and an Intel Core Duo Processor T2400 1.83 GHz. One beautiful piece of kit. First saw it at "Digital Life" at the Javits Center in Manhatten where the first working, playable PS3 was unveiled.
                      If $ is no problem and you are in to serious gaming, have a look at Vodoo. (heck they have laptops with price begining at $5000:) ) .

One day I will buy it....hopefully before I retire.
                      Last edited by kams; 03 Feb 07,, 17:06.

Comment

Originally posted by kams View Post
                        If $ is no problem and you are in to serious gaming, have a look at Vodoo. (heck they have laptops with price begining at $5000:) ) .

One day I will buy it....hopefully before I retire.
                        Well I do enjoy some online game, but mainly I want a good quality computer that I can do school work on and any other thing I desire as it comes up. Most importantly I dont want it to become obsolete in a few years. I have a $2000 Mac G5 in my basement that was my brothers. When it first came out it was the 3rd fastest non-government owned supercomputer in the world. Dont know how to use it very well though...

Comment

i recently got the gateway mx6930
                          1 GB RAM, 120 GB SATA at 5200rpm, Intel core2 duo,15 inches, DVD writer,Windows XP with vista upgrade for 799$ plus taxes.

Laptos in India are too expensive. At least 25-30% more for the same config.

Comment

I recently bought 2 of them (none for me, one for Dad and another for brother-in-law ).

First one on Thanksgiving sale - HP, 15.4" WXGA, AMD 64 X2 1.6 ghz,80 gig HD, 1 gig RAM, NVIDIA graphics, Double layer DVD writer with lightscribe etc for $550
                            Second one in January, same config as above for $590. Also bought an 160 gig external hard drive for $40.

Comment

Yes, the MacBook is overpriced, but personally I think it's worth it!.

James- don't get it, the fingerprint scanner doesn't work. Use your still very useable G5 for a couple more years until you can get an Intel Mac with a Blu-ray DVD drive. And no one can deny that Blu-ray is cool, whether you like it or not.
                              "you have enemies, good. That means you stood up for something, sometime in your life"

Comment

Working...
                              X