Thread: Liberia gets all-female peacekeeping force

Liberté, Unité, Egalité Senior Contributor Tronic's Avatar

Liberia gets all-female peacekeeping force

A unit of United Nations peacekeepers with a difference has arrived for work in Liberia - they are all women.

More than 100 female peacekeepers from India are there to work as an armed police unit to help stabilise Liberia which, after years of war, is trying to rebuild its own police force from scratch.

Stepping off the chartered plane in immaculate blue uniforms and berets, the 103 women were immediately on parade and probably bewildered by the media frenzy.

It is just a coincidence that the first all-female peacekeeping force is in Liberia, the first African country to elect a female president, Ellen Johnson Sirleaf.

Crime is high especially in Monrovia and the war has left a degree of violence simmering just below the surface.

But having served in turbulent areas, including parts of northern India, the commander Seema Dhundiya says they are well prepared.

"These girls are experienced and have been trained. They have worked in areas of India where there was insurgency. They will do a good job and the Liberian ladies will get motivated and inspired to come forward and join the regular police."

The UN mission in Liberia, which will cost around $750ms this year, is helping rebuild the country's police force from scratch.

During the 14-year war, the police were involved in the fighting and were steeped in corruption. Having acquired a terrible reputation it is now hard to persuade women to consider the police as a career.

The aim is for 20% of the force to be women. But reaching 6% is currently a struggle, partly because of the police's image but also because of the low educational standards of many women.

The UN is now running a special educational programme for women wanting to join the force.

On the streets of Monrovia the arrival of the Indian women is popular. Patience Coleman has a job with an anti-poverty NGO and is not tempted to join the police but hopes the Indian women will encourage some Liberian women to consider it.

"It is important for us women to stand up and say we can do it. Women are more caring than men. They have a natural gift so you will get a more caring police force."

Liberia has an alarming incidence of rape which goes unpunished. The deployment of more female police officers could encourage the women and young girls to report the crime.

In the past, the UN mission in Liberia has been tainted by accusations of sexual exploitation: food given to teenage refugees by UN peacekeepers in return for sex. But Joanna Foster, the gender adviser to the UN Mission says that there is less sexual exploitation when more women are employed.

"It limits the sexual exploitation that our people get involved in. In the groups that have a lot more women we get very little reporting of sexual exploitation."

Joanna Foster is also keen to send a message to those training the new Liberian military.

"I understand they are not training the women for combat but with these women coming from India they are going to be a fantastic role model. So I am going to take all of them to the ministry of defence to show them you can train women in combat."

Being half-Ghanaian and half-Indian, Joanna Foster has some idea of the cultural challenge facing the Indian peacekeepers.

"Being pretty is a disadvantage here. Indian women are pretty so they are going to be whistled at and all sorts of things but they will have to take it in their stride."

But don't be deceived by the looks. I saw an enthusiastic salute by one of the Indian peacekeepers almost knock a journalist's microphone half way to Mumbai. Stand back - these women are serious.

BBC NEWS | Africa | Liberia gets all-female peacekeeping force
    Cow is the only animal that not only inhales oxygen, but also exhales it.
    -Rekha Arya, Former Minister of Animal Husbandry

from the article...

"It is important for us women to stand up and say we can do it. Women are more caring than men. They have a natural gift so you will get a more caring police force."
    lol... wtf... that is sexist! some guy was to say something sexist like that and he would be all over the news... lol

Field mechanik Senior Contributor omon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tronic View Post
    from the article...

lol... wtf... that is sexist! some guy was to say something sexist like that and he would be all over the news... lol
    the way nypd females work, i'd say this article is compleate opposite from the truth. they feel like they have to prove something,

WAB Cautioner of Poo Senior Contributor Debbie's Avatar
    [QUOTE=Tronic;337904]

Ouch - the last thing I want anywhere is a caring police force. I want a force that can do the job correctly and protect my a** when I need it. Women may be more nuturing than men, but honey, there are some of us that couldn't give a crap less about a whole lot things.

Liberia has an alarming incidence of rape which goes unpunished. The deployment of more female police officers could encourage the women and young girls to report the crime.

Hmmmm....alot of rape still goes unreported due to the humiliation, stigma and pure violence. I don't think that having more women police officers available will help.

"Being pretty is a disadvantage here. Indian women are pretty so they are going to be whistled at and all sorts of things but they will have to take it in their stride."

Take it in stride? Kick the bloody cheeky jerk in the balls and see what happens to the whistle then.

I'm going to take the 5th and withhold judgement since the only data comes from a news article.

That said, an all caring police force is at one end of the continuim and is probably undesirable ....... but equally is an all brutal force at the other end of the continuim. One wants something inbetween but maintaining that inbetween is tough because a lot of times, IMHO, the police fall in the situation where it is us against them, where being polite gets taken advantage of, and, of course, no one commits any offenses and the officer is wrong (and people tell you how to do your job).

Been there, done that. My XO wanted a totally polite force, I had to yank the leash on brutes, and if asked to remember in 30 seconds, I probably remember more times with people who argued that we were in the wrong than those who were thankful for just warnings. Put it simply and nicely, people don't like to be inconvienced and often times, react harshly when they are.

And sometimes, you wonder. I have been called "Hitler", to my face, just for enforcing permits and ID's regulations in a nonaggressive but firm manner. And that makes me "Hitler" in their eyes?

Of course, how one sees themselves and how the other sees them can be very different.

All in all, I would not want an all female or an all male police (understanding that here the term is peacekeeper) force. Maybe for certain special operations, either way, but not for the general force. I had to fight like heck to get female troopers assigned so I could have policewomen on my force. And, by the by, while some might have been "nicer" to talk to, they didn't have any problem slamming back those who weren't "polite".
    ---------------------------------
    ("There's a reason you separate military and the police. One fights the enemies of the state, the other serves and protects the people. When the military becomes both, then the enemies of the state tend to become the people."--Cdr. Adama, (wtte), "Battlestar Galactica")

Senior Contributor
    Debbie,though I more or less agree with your post ....but there you go..

Quote Originally Posted by Debbie View Post
    Women may be more nuturing than men,

Quote Originally Posted by Debbie View Post
    Ouch - the last thing I want anywhere is a caring police force. I want a force that can do the job correctly and protect my a** when I need it.
    Caring?...

From the looks, seems like they mean business...

Quote Originally Posted by SnowLeapord
    All in all, I would not want an all female or an all male police (understanding that here the term is peacekeeper) force. Maybe for certain special operations, either way, but not for the general force.
    Agreed, but Liberia has had a serious problem in the past with international peacekeepers being accused of sexual exploitation... paying money to the desperate in return for sex... guess they figured an all-female peacekeeping force was the option at hand...

Defense Professional Dreadnought's Avatar
    [QUOTE=Debbie;337921]

Ouch - the last thing I want anywhere is a caring police force. I want a force that can do the job correctly and protect my a** when I need it. Women may be more nuturing than men, but honey, there are some of us that couldn't give a crap less about a whole lot things.

Hmmmm....alot of rape still goes unreported due to the humiliation, stigma and pure violence. I don't think that having more women police officers available will help.

Take it in stride? Kick the bloody cheeky jerk in the balls and see what happens to the whistle then.
    LMAO Debbs needs to be head of that force..
    Fortitude.....The strength to persist...The courage to endure.

Caring?...

From the looks, seems like they mean business...
    They'll lovingly beat you over the head with a stick, just like mom used to.
    "The great questions of the day will not be settled by means of speeches and majority decisions but by iron and blood"-Otto Von Bismarck

Quote Originally Posted by GVChamp View Post
    They'll lovingly beat you over the head with a stick, just like mom used to.
    lol... ouch, poor liberians...

Senior Contributor
    That one female cop looks like shes training to rip some guys heart out! BTW what happened to that female SWAT cop from Georgia that used to post here?

Thread Information