• Show
Clear All

• Japan moves to defuse diplomatic spat with US

11.15am
    Japan moves to defuse diplomatic spat with US

Justin McCurry in Tokyo
    Monday January 29, 2007
    Guardian Unlimited

Japanese officials today attempted to defuse a diplomatic spat with the US after the defence minister, Fumio Kyuma, publicly attacked George Bush's foreign policy for the second time in less than a week.

Last week Mr Kyuma said Mr Bush had been wrong to order the invasion of Iraq on the assumption that Saddam Hussein's regime possessed weapons of mass destruction, and at the weekend he added to bilateral tensions when he accused the US of ignoring the opinions of Okinawa's leaders over the relocation of a US marine base on the island.

The presence of a prominent loose cannon in the cabinet is proving a distraction for the prime minister, Shinzo Abe, whose personal approval ratings have slipped to 40% just months before important upper house elections.

Today his top spokesman, Yasuhisa Shiozaki, insisted that Mr Abe's colleagues were all on message. "I want to make it clear that our cabinet is not allowing people to just say what they want," he told reporters.

He said US officials had inquired about Mr Kyuma's remarks on Iraq but had not lodged an official complaint. "We haven't been told anything reproachful," he said.

The Kyodo news agency, however, reported that
    James Zumwalt, the director of the state department's Japan affairs office, had told the Japanese embassy in Washington that the US took the remarks about Iraq "very seriously".
    He reportedly suggested that further criticisms could make it difficult to arrange the next round of "two-plus-two" talks between Japan's defence and foreign ministers and their US counterparts.

Over the weekend Mr Kyuma turned his fire on Washington's role in bilateral attempts to reduce the US military footprint on Okinawa, home to about two-thirds of the 50,000 US troops in Japan.

The countries have agreed to relocate the marine's Futenma air base to a less densely populated part of the island, but Mr Kyuma said at the weekend that the US did not understand the need to secure the Okinawa governor's approval for the move.

"The United States doesn't understand [the importance of] spadework," he said in a speech in Nagasaki.

Last week he said of the Iraq war: "I think President Bush launched the war in the belief there were nuclear weapons, but I think that decision was wrong."

The outburst caused embarrassment in Japan, whose troops provided humanitarian relief in Iraq from early 2004 until last summer.

Mr Abe reiterated Japan's support for the war, but his defence minister's comments, which came hours before Mr Bush committed 20,000 more troops to Iraq in his state of the union address, clearly irritated US officials.

Mr Kyuma later made what appeared to be only a half-hearted attempt to apologise for his comments. "If they were taken [as criticism], I think I should be more careful about how I say things," he said. "Even if they were my thoughts, I think perhaps it would be better not to speak them."

Japan moves to defuse diplomatic spat with US | Special reports | Guardian Unlimited

Quite a loose cannon!

"Some have learnt many Tricks of sly Evasion, Instead of Truth they use Equivocation, And eke it out with mental Reservation, Which is to good Men an Abomination."

I don't have to attend every argument I'm invited to.

HAKUNA MATATA

Originally posted by Ray View Post
    Quite a loose cannon!
    Lol. Well, I guess Bush could send his dad to Japan for a sushi dinner with the offending minister...
    "We will go through our federal budget – page by page, line by line – eliminating those programs we don’t need, and insisting that those we do operate in a sensible cost-effective way." -President Barack Obama 11/25/2008

Comment

Why?

He doesn't like his Dad?

A badly prepared sushi, I believe, can kill!

The puffer fish I am told is a delicacy in sushi preparation!

"Some have learnt many Tricks of sly Evasion, Instead of Truth they use Equivocation, And eke it out with mental Reservation, Which is to good Men an Abomination."

I don't have to attend every argument I'm invited to.

HAKUNA MATATA

Comment

Originally posted by Ray View Post
        Why?

He doesn't like his Dad?
        Bush Sr. puked on a Japanese PM during a sushi dinner some years back. (they blamed it on a stomach flu )
        "We will go through our federal budget – page by page, line by line – eliminating those programs we don’t need, and insisting that those we do operate in a sensible cost-effective way." -President Barack Obama 11/25/2008

Comment

Originally posted by highsea View Post
          Bush Sr. puked on a Japanese PM during a sushi dinner some years back. (they blamed it on a stomach flu )
          LOl may be Bush Sr. did puke on this particular minister and result is the statement. I remember reading that Bush Sr. was in Japan when Indian PM was visiting Japan couple of months back.

Comment

Working...
          X