• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kerry Slams U.S. Foreign Policy

Sorry if posted.

Quote from cnn.com;

Kerry slams U.S. foreign policy
    POSTED: 0403 GMT (1203 HKT), January 27, 2007

DAVOS, Switzerland (AP) -- U.S. Senator John Kerry slammed the foreign policy of the Bush administration on Saturday, saying it has caused the United States to become "a sort of international pariah."

The statement came as the Democrat lawmaker responded to a question about whether the U.S. government had failed to adequately engage Iran's government before the election of hard-liner Mahmoud Ahmadinejad in 2005.

Kerry said the Bush administration has failed to adequately address a number of foreign-policy issues, speaking during a World Economic Forum panel discussion that also included Iraqi Vice President Adil Abd al-Mahdi and Mohammad Khatami, Ahmadinejad's more moderate predecessor as Iranian president.

"When we walk away from global warming, Kyoto, when we are irresponsibly slow in moving toward AIDS in Africa, when we don't advance and live up to our own rhetoric and standards, we set a terrible message of duplicity and hypocrisy," Kerry said.

"So we have a crisis of confidence in the Middle East -- in the world, really. I've never seen our country as isolated, as much as a sort of international pariah for a number of reasons as it is today."

Kerry said the government needs to use diplomacy to improve national security.

"We need to do a better job of protecting our interests, because after all, that's what diplomacy is about," he said. "But you have to do it in a context of the reality, not your lens but the reality of those other cultures and histories."

Kerry criticized what he called the "unfortunate habit" of Americans to see the world "exclusively through an American lens."

He said a new approach could yet bring great benefits to the United States and other countries.

"I think if we did that more forcefully and effectively we could really change the dynamics of the world," Kerry said. "We should be less engaged in this 'neocon' rhetoric of regime change and more involved in building relations and living up to our own values so that people make a different judgment about us."

Can be summed up as "Kerry hits bottom, digs."

-dale

Comment

These $%&^# congresscritters need to stop meddling in foreign affairs.
      "We will go through our federal budget – page by page, line by line – eliminating those programs we don’t need, and insisting that those we do operate in a sensible cost-effective way." -President Barack Obama 11/25/2008

Comment

Yeah we all know John Kerry has a better plan!

The best plan he has is too stay the hell out of 2008's race to the benefit of us all.;)
        Fortitude.....The strength to persist...The courage to endure.

Comment

Sounds like the talk of a man not having to worry about running for president in '08 and speaking more honestly about the situation. That articles has 3 or 4 quotes from Kerry that are dead on - ones that I don't know if he would have said if he was running for president. Kerry, far from hitting rock bottom, has just risen in my mind. Hopefully, he'll be able to walk the walk now.

Comment

"I did vote for the $87 billion, before I voted against it."
            "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

Sounds true . Earlier I also liked Bush for invading fundamentalist Taliban but he seems to be going very far , attacking Iraq, threatening to attack North Korea, Iran , Pakistan , dunno whats wrong with that guy. As far as taliban is concerned , he didnt do anything special , I guess every American politician would have done so .Also he is American ahmedenijad who keeps poking nose in everyone else matters than working for his country.

Comment

Since when do we elect local representatives to conduct foreign affairs? These people are sent to Washington to represent their State in the Federal Gov't, not to represent the US to the world. That's why we have a #$%^ State Department.

Pelosi's recent junket, Hillary's photo-ops in Iraq, etc. Why do we have Senators and Representatives meeting with Foreign Heads of State? and
                "We will go through our federal budget – page by page, line by line – eliminating those programs we don’t need, and insisting that those we do operate in a sensible cost-effective way." -President Barack Obama 11/25/2008

Comment

Originally posted by gunnut View Post
                  "I did vote for the $87 billion, before I voted against it."
                  Ahh yes, I almost forgot about the grand republican strategy of '04 for winning the war in Iraq - quoting John Kerry. How's that been working out?

Comment

^^^ That was just a strategy for winning the 2004 election, and it worked out fine, lol.

Comment

John Kerry sits on the U.S. Senate Committee on Foreign Relations. It's sort of his job to hobnob with foreign countries.

Comment

Originally posted by Kassad View Post
                        John Kerry sits on the U.S. Senate Committee on Foreign Relations. It's sort of his job to hobnob with foreign countries.
                        No, it's his job to advise the Administration on Foreign Policy, and provide oversight to the foreign ploicy agencies.

It's not his job to conduct that policy, or make up his own agenda.

Comment

That was just a strategy for winning the 2004 election, and it worked out fine, lol.
                          You're exactly right and that's what I find so sad about the mindset of this country. If the voters focused more on what's actually meaningful, we wouldn't end up with presidents who are obvioulsy in over their heads.

Comment

Victory means exit strategy, and it’s important for the president to explain to us what the exit strategy is.
                            I think it’s also important for the president to lay out a timetable as to how long they will be involved and when they will be withdrawn.
                            Quotes by Governor George W. Bush in 1999

Comment

Originally posted by jjacobs43 View Post
                              You're exactly right and that's what I find so sad about the mindset of this country. If the voters focused more on what's actually meaningful, we wouldn't end up with presidents who are obvioulsy in over their heads.
                              Yep. That's the problem with this country. Everyone looks to the immediate present and push problems into the future. Privatize Social Security, overhaul the medical insurance structure, junk Medicare, all blocked by short sighted democrats.

Do a calculation on Social Security handouts. You only get back about 1% of the money you put in there. Put that money into mutual funds and you can grow at 10% a year for 30 years. Put that money into long term CDs for 5% a year for 30 years. Either way we can get returns 100 times better than the current Social Security scam.
                              "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

Working...
                              X