Thaad

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thaad

What would a comparable Russian weapon be? An ABM or SA-12? How about Sprint and Spartan? What is the speed and range of THAAD? How does it rate? It seems to be performing well lately. Is it meant for defending US contenintal cities from ICBMs in their terminal phase?

Originally posted by Sandman View Post
    What would a comparable Russian weapon be? An ABM or SA-12? How about Sprint and Spartan? What is the speed and range of THAAD? How does it rate? It seems to be performing well lately. Is it meant for defending US contenintal cities from ICBMs in their terminal phase?
    While I'm sure it could be used to defend CONUS like any other AD weapon, I think the primary role of the THAAD will be in defending US Expeditionary Forces from hostile missile attack.

Comment

Originally posted by -{SpoonmaN}- View Post
      While I'm sure it could be used to defend CONUS like any other AD weapon, I think the primary role of the THAAD will be in defending US Expeditionary Forces from hostile missile attack.
      One of the big selling points was that it was C-17 transportable and can be ready to fire in a something like 30 mins after landing.

Comment

Originally posted by Wraith601 View Post
        One of the big selling points was that it was C-17 transportable and can be ready to fire in a something like 30 mins after landing.
        That is all and good, but would not a more important issue be to protect those west coast citied that North Korea, and China and even Russia hold at risk? Is there any, or much consideration to protect AMERICAN lives at home?

Comment

Originally posted by Sandman View Post
          That is all and good, but would not a more important issue be to protect those west coast citied that North Korea, and China and even Russia hold at risk? Is there any, or much consideration to protect AMERICAN lives at home?
          That's why we have sea-based Aegis BMD, interceptors in Japan, GBI in Alaska and California...

NMD is still in it's early stages. We have a long way yet to go.
          "We will go through our federal budget – page by page, line by line – eliminating those programs we don’t need, and insisting that those we do operate in a sensible cost-effective way." -President Barack Obama 11/25/2008

Comment

Originally posted by highsea View Post
            That's why we have sea-based Aegis BMD, interceptors in Japan, GBI in Alaska and California...

NMD is still in it's early stages. We have a long way yet to go.
            Not to mention ABL.

THAAD is only one of many possible systems under development.

Comment

Very handy indeed. What's the Patriot's usual readiness time again?

Comment

Originally posted by -{SpoonmaN}- View Post
                Very handy indeed. What's the Patriot's usual readiness time again?
                The Patriot can be brought to ready to fire state from movement posture in about 45 mins, not sure how that time changes after an airlift though.

Comment

The Patriot can be brought to ready to fire state from movement posture in about 45 mins, not sure how that time changes after an airlift though.
                  That's pretty slow,I wonder why they never made a fully mobile variant of the PATRIOT instead of the semi mobile version they have now.

Comment

Originally posted by urmomma158 View Post
                    That's pretty slow,I wonder why they never made a fully mobile variant of the PATRIOT instead of the semi mobile version they have now.
                    The PAC-2 missile is 5.31 meters long and weighs 900 kgs, it's hard to make a launcher and all the associated support equipment for a missile that big very mobile.

Comment

The PAC-2 missile is 5.31 meters long and weighs 900 kgs, it's hard to make a launcher and all the associated support equipment for a missile that big very mobile.
                      The russians managae to do it with the S300's. They can shoot and scoot in about 5 minutes. I think germany operates mobile PATRIOT launchers i've seen some pics of em online.

Comment

Originally posted by urmomma158 View Post
                        The russians managae to do it with the S300's. They can shoot and scoot in about 5 minutes.
                        Yeah, if they want to leave a bunch of crap behind, lol.

It would take longer than that just to disconnect the cables, lower the launcher and radar, get everything secured for travel, etc. I would imagine that there are ground jacks for stability, etc to get in place too.

This emphasis on how fast can they set up and break down is a way overblown imo. I'm sure it takes a lot longer to actually do in practice than is claimed in the brochures.
                        "We will go through our federal budget – page by page, line by line – eliminating those programs we don’t need, and insisting that those we do operate in a sensible cost-effective way." -President Barack Obama 11/25/2008

Comment

Originally posted by highsea View Post
                          Yeah, if they want to leave a bunch of crap behind, lol.

It would take longer than that just to disconnect the cables, lower the launcher and radar, get everything secured for travel, etc. I would imagine that there are ground jacks for stability, etc to get in place too.

This emphasis on how fast can they set up and break down is a way overblown imo. I'm sure it takes a lot longer to actually do in practice than is claimed in the brochures.
                          Guess you're right that's under optimal conditions. I think I'd give it about 15 minutes but that's just a guess. Their mobility is severly impaired if they have their radar masts deployed and without those their horizon is impaired.

Comment

Working...
                          X