Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by DOR View Post
    JAD_333,

Happy ending? It isn’t a massage parlor . . .

Sorry, couldn’t resist. Yes, there is a happy ending: plenty of jobs for qualified people, so long as you’re willing to move abroad and accept lower pay to get some real world experience. From there, pay rises to meet capabilities.
    Good to hear it. Well deserved, no doubt.

As for the world as a whole, the main points of the speech were that we have dramatically reduced poverty, and are getting to grips with environmental degradation. Lots to do on both fronts, but there’s no reason to despair.
    Despair seems to disappear with old age. Something to do with deja vu. By the time it's all clear, there's no time left to act. As some wag said, youth is wasted on the young.
    To be Truly ignorant, Man requires an Education - Plato

Comment

• Took those over the weekend, enjoy
      Attached Files
      “the misery of being exploited by capitalists is nothing compared to the misery of not being exploited at all” -- Joan Robinson

Comment

• If only I knew... I was in San Jose and the city 10 days ago!

Originally posted by DOR View Post
        JAD_333,

Happy ending? It isn’t a massage parlor . . .

Sorry, couldn’t resist. Yes, there is a happy ending: plenty of jobs for qualified people, so long as you’re willing to move abroad and accept lower pay to get some real world experience. From there, pay rises to meet capabilities.

As for the world as a whole, the main points of the speech were that we have dramatically reduced poverty, and are getting to grips with environmental degradation. Lots to do on both fronts, but there’s no reason to despair.

astralis,

Yes, the Group in Asian Studies commencement, both undergrad and grad students.

OT: Last time I was in Napa (last week), Skyline Park was about 50-60 miles from the ocean . . .
        Attached Files
        “the misery of being exploited by capitalists is nothing compared to the misery of not being exploited at all” -- Joan Robinson

Comment

• DOR,

OT: Last time I was in Napa (last week), Skyline Park was about 50-60 miles from the ocean . . .
          yup, you're right. i'm clearly in need of another vacation...mixing up past trips now.

this is point reyes national seashore!

and close by, as mentioned before:

Hog Island Oyster Farm - Marshall, CA

Attached Files
          There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."- Isaac Asimov

Comment

• here are some of my pictures from dubai. i posted some more on the "flat evan" thread, but i can't seem to find it now.

this was in 2010. the city was dead-- something out of a zombie flick, thanks to the economic downturn.

dubai airport

dubai atlantis

dubai hilton

Attached Files
            Last edited by astralis; 27 Jun 12,, 20:23.
            There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."- Isaac Asimov

Comment

• Originally posted by astralis View Post
              DOR,

this is point reyes national seashore!
              *drool*

Awesome crab cakes along the Marin/Sonoma coast, just right with a little Pinot Grigio, clam chowder and warm bread.
              Trust me?
              I'm an economist!

Comment

• yes to all. but especially, and by god especially, the oysters which were just caught by the oyster boat and cleaned/shucked in front of you.

that place had 'em three ways: raw, baked, and fried. the last two were delicious, sure, but it's hard to beat the fresh taste.

Comment

• Home cooked dinner the other night.
                  Attached Files

Comment

• Attached Files

Comment

• Attached Files

Comment

• Attached Files

Comment

• Attached Files

Comment

• Ireland.

Taken from my hotel room.
                            Attached Files

Comment

• Ooh, me jealous, I've never been there and always desired a hangover in ireland
                              In the realm of spirit, seek clarity; in the material world, seek utility.

Leibniz

Comment

• Lovely place pari , but can be a tad expensive , even when we were doing the tours of N/I the boozers were "communities" and the people were great ,( with the exceptions of IRA of course ) the way of life was slowly slowly , it was always , tomorrow will do , but the Guinness was soooooooooooperb :tankie:. I aint never been to Dublin but will go one day and do the tourist of the South vacation .

Nice pic xinhui ;)

Comment

Working...
                                X