This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OIF Research Library

If you have official documents or solid journal articles about Operation Iraqi Freedom, please post them. Since there's already a "War in Iraq" forum and don't want to detract from that, I'd prefer to keep debate out of this thread and keep just as a handy place to look stuff up for reference.

EDIT: Now that OIF has changed to OND and is no longer the troll magnet it once was, this thread has been moved to the Iraq forum.
    Last edited by Shek; 21 Dec 10,, 01:40.
    "So little pains do the vulgar take in the investigation of truth, accepting readily the first story that comes to hand." Thucydides 1.20.3

At this website, News From USJFCOM: Command releases JCOA-produced Iraqi perspectives report, you can find the Iraqi Perspectives Project: A View of Operation Iraqi Freedom from Saddam's Senior Leadership

At this website, https://www.cia.gov/cia/reports/iraq...004/index.html, you can find the Comprehensive Report of the Special Advisor to the DCI on Iraq's WMD, 30 September 2004, more commonly referred to as the Duelfer Report (the link contains only the key findings - go to the website to download the rest!).

At this website, Commission on the Intelligence Capabilities of the United States Regarding Weapons of Mass Destruction, you can find the Commission on the Intelligence Capabilities of the United States Regarding Weapons of Mass Destruction, more commonly referred to as the Robb-Silberman Report, issued on March 31, 2005.

At this website, U.S. Senate Select Committee on Intelligence, you can find the Report of the Select Committee on Postwar Findings about Iraq's WMD Programs and Links to Terrorism and How They Compare with Prewar Assessments, published on September 8, 2006.
    Last edited by Shek; 25 Jan 07,, 21:50.
    "So little pains do the vulgar take in the investigation of truth, accepting readily the first story that comes to hand." Thucydides 1.20.3

Comment

Reconstructing Iraq: Insights, Challenges, and Missions for Military Forces in a Post-Conflict Scenario
      Attached Files

Comment

A smorgasbord of links through these two sites:

Key Documents Related to the Iraq War - U.S.- Iraq ProCon.org
        Iraqanalysis.org » Info»Opinion Polls in Iraq

Two NIE releases:

http://www.dni.gov/press_releases/20070202_release.pdf
        http://www.dni.gov/press_releases/De..._Judgments.pdf
        Attached Files

Comment

The Iraq Study Group website and report:

Iraq Study Group: United States Institute of Peace
          Iraq Study Group: United States Institute of Peace
          Attached Files

Comment

A smorgasbord of links:

Shek,I see Sweden and Norway are involved:)

Comment

Originally posted by dave lukins View Post
              Shek,I see Sweden and Norway are involved:)
              Shhhhhh! Mum's the word ;)

Comment

Shek,

I was keen to read the Duelfer Report, but at Vol I, the computer hung each time I tried.

Maybe the Key Findings would be adequate, right?

In Key Documents Related to the Iraq War - U.S.- Iraq ProCon.org
                Iraqanalysis.org » Info»Opinion Polls in Iraq, while Brookings Institute features, how come no other papers from other think tanks have been included?
                Last edited by Ray; 03 Feb 07,, 07:18.

"Some have learnt many Tricks of sly Evasion, Instead of Truth they use Equivocation, And eke it out with mental Reservation, Which is to good Men an Abomination."

I don't have to attend every argument I'm invited to.

HAKUNA MATATA

Comment

Originally posted by Ray View Post
                  Shek,

I was keen to read the Duelfer Report, but at Vol I, the computer hung each time I tried.

Maybe the Key Findings would be adequate, right?

In Key Documents Related to the Iraq War - U.S.- Iraq ProCon.org
                  Iraqanalysis.org » Info»Opinion Polls in Iraq, while Brookings Institute features, how come no other papers from other think tanks have been included?
                  Sir,

1. The Duelfer Report chapters are over 50MB each. It's been since summer since I've read them, so I don't recall the nuggets that are in there. However, I can tell you that the MSM portrayal of the report focused on the "no WMD stockpiles" and ignored the "dormant WMD programs awaiting the end of the sanctions regime" portion of the report.

2. I don't know. You'd have to ask the webmasters for those sites. If you have any thinktanks reports that deserve to be posted, then please feel free to do so. I created the thread to provide a repository for references, and as I stumble across stuff or remember stuff, I try to post stuff in here.

Comment

Shek,

I am a person who is keen to know what is the reality.

To that extent, you have been a great help.

I thank you.

I wondered if no other think tanks found it worth their while to write on the issue.

That is all.

"Some have learnt many Tricks of sly Evasion, Instead of Truth they use Equivocation, And eke it out with mental Reservation, Which is to good Men an Abomination."

HAKUNA MATATA

Comment

Originally posted by Ray View Post
                      Shek,

I am a person who is keen to know what is the reality.

To that extent, you have been a great help.

I thank you.

I wondered if no other think tanks found it worth their while to write on the issue.

That is all.
                      Sir,

I'm not well versed on all the think tanks around the DC area, but I'll give it a shot in terms of adding some links.

Here's a transcript for a 5 Jan 07 event, "Iraq: A Turning Point," at the American Enterprise Institute (AEI), a conservative think tank that often gets the "neo-con" label.

AEI - Events

The first panel consisted of Frederick Kagan and GEN (Ret) Jack Keane, who are the primary architects of the underlying thinking that underpins the current Baghdad-centric strategy that the Administration is pursuing. The second panel consisted of Senators McCain and Lieberman, the two biggest "hawks" on the Iraq war that are still standing and proud to be "hawks" on the issue.

Comment

Sir,

Here's a link to DC think tanks, SIL DC - List of Think Tanks.

Of those that are high powered on the Iraq issue (based on who news organizations go to for quotes, interviews, and reports or who you see cited most frequently), the following are the think tanks that fall into that category:

Brookings (Michael O'Hanlon is their go to guy)

AEI

CSIS (Center for Strategic and International Studies - Anthony Cordesman is their go to guy)

Rand

SSI (Strategic Studies Institute - the US Army War College's think tank)

Here are some watchdog organizations that don't comment specifically on Iraq strategy but do have an effect on strategy:

Human Rights Watch: Middle East and Northern Africa : Iraq
                        Last edited by Shek; 04 Feb 07,, 14:28.

Comment

Shek

Thanks.

HAKUNA MATATA

Comment

Tasty Iraq War Research Nugs

I see Shek beat me to the punch (damn litle guys with their fast hands), but Michael O'Hanlon's Iraq Index at the Brookings website is an invaluable analytical tool.http://www.brook.edu/iraqindex
                            From the provided link you can navigate to the archives of the Index. It is updated bi-weekly. O'Hanlon's most recent update to the index is available with his Conressional testamony from last week.http://www.senate.gov/~foreign/testi...mony070110.pdf

I would also like to give a shout out to C-SPAN's coverage of Iraq. From the provided link, one can access scores of interviews, think-tank sessions, and Congressional testamonies. Worth investigating daily, IMHO. Check out Wshington Journal. It can be hit or miss, but inevitably nets high quality interviews. It requires Real Player.
                            Hope that these links will be helpful for others as they are for yours truly.
                            Thanks much,
                            Cato

Comment

Thanks.

Just the type of thread of my desire.

Knowledge and insights.

Helps understand an issue minus the 'heat'!

Anything from RAND?

HAKUNA MATATA

Comment

Working...
                              X