Rate the F-111

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rate the F-111

Now we all know the F-111 had it's fair share of teething problems at first, but what about the F-111 in it's last configuration and performance during Desert Storm? I always had the idea that it was one of the best all-weather tactical fighters around.
    The -111 is still in service with the Austrailian AF, does anybody have data on their opinion of it as well?
    “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

The Aussies like theirs, but can't afford em anymore. They also cannot be inflight refueled, they lack the hose and drouge plumbing.

The US F-111E/F's that were rebuilt in the late 80's with new avionics performed brilliantly in ODS, it was a shame to see them go.

All and all, the Aardvark turned out to be one hell of a deep strike bomber.

Comment

They also cannot be inflight refueled, they lack the hose and drouge plumbing.
      One thing I could never understand about the Air Force is why they went with boom and socket refueling. While this was obviously many years ago, and hindsight is always 20/20 etc etc, I still see it as a boondoggle. I mean, who the hell uses boom and socket refueling besides the USAF? Just operators of USAF planes? (F-15 F-16 etc)
      “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

Because one boom refueller can refuel a whole squadron of aircraft in the time it takes a hose and drogue tanker to refuel 4 planes.

That's what i've been told every time i ever asked. Supposedly, the Boom type is also MUCH easier to hook up with.

Being an ex grunt, i can do nothing but take their word for it, lol. ;)

Comment

auctually we just retired the -111's here in australia
          Mk84-2000lbs of game ending power

Comment

Yeah, I guess I can't argue with that logic. I wonder how many KC-135's are equipped with hose and drouge? I've heard that some were. Also, as I understand, most if not all KC-10 Extenders are equipped for hose/drogue.

Comment

Not really sure.

Thanx for the update JSF.

Comment

Aah! The F-111 Ardvark! One of my all-time favorite tactical strike fighters. The best of its time for deep interdiction missions in heavily defended skies. I'll miss the beauty. :(

-3BSD
                He who praises you for what you lack wishes to take from you what you have.
                - Don Juan Manuel

Comment

Last time I checked (I'm not sure) the KC-10 was able to refuel three planes at once. One on the boom, and one drogue under each wing.
                  Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Abusing Yellow is meant to be a labor of love, not something you sell to the highest bidder.

Comment

You got links saying the Aussie Varks got retired? Because I just read a publication (International Airpower Review) stating they were scheduled for upgrade for wingtip cracks to keep them in service until around 2012. Also had photos of them lining up for refueling practice with a KC-135 at the '02 Red Flag. KC-135s and KC-10s can be fitted with podded drogues under the wing, or even have them attached to the boom system (I THINK I've seen this) to service Navy aircraft. The boom is important to the airforce because of refueling heavy bomber and transport aircraft in sizeable numbers, and if I can remember correctly, the boom provides 4-8 times the amount of fuel that a drogue does.
                    The black flag is raised: Ban them all... Let the Admin sort them out.

I know I'm going to have the last word... I have powers of deletion and lock.

Comment

Yep, right here...

http://www.airforce-technology.com/projects/kc135/
                      The black flag is raised: Ban them all... Let the Admin sort them out.

I know I'm going to have the last word... I have powers of deletion and lock.

Comment

Does it say anything about the KC-10 also having those wing drogues?
                        Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Abusing Yellow is meant to be a labor of love, not something you sell to the highest bidder.

Comment

The Oz F-111's can refuel with boom type tankers, but not hose and drogue, which is all the RAAF has.

Comment

yeah we suck
                            Mk84-2000lbs of game ending power

Comment

Working...
                            X