Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• US sends stealth fighter planes to South Korea

US sends stealth fighter planes to South Korea

SEOUL- The United States is deploying a squadron of stealth fighters to South Korea, a U.S. military spokesman said on Wednesday, amid speculation that North Korea may be ready to test a second nuclear device.

The United States is sending about 15 to 20 of its F-117A Nighthawk fighters to South Korea, the spokesman for U.S. Forces Korea said.

"This is a routine deployment," said Kim Yong-kyu. "It is a regular operational matter.

The U.S. military has sent the radar-evading fighters regularly to South Korea for stays of a few months over the past few years. North Korea has criticized previous deployments as preparations for invasion and nuclear war.

Holloman Air Force Base in New Mexico, where the squadron is stationed, said in a Web posting that the fighters left earlier this week for South Korea.

About 250 to 300 airmen were sent to South Korea for previous deployments.

"This precision-strike aircraft penetrates high-threat airspace and uses laser-guided weapons against critical targets," the U.S. Air Force said in a Web posting.

North Korea conducted its first test of a nuclear device on October 9.

The U.S. television network ABC cited U.S. officials last week as saying North Korea was preparing for another test. However, both U.S. and South Korean officials have publicly said that there was no evidence a test was imminent.
    sigpic

F117 retired right?

Comment

Originally posted by joey View Post
      F117 retired right?
      F117 I believe retired or as they call it "shelved" until needed again. Seems they want to up the anti with Kim. Those particular planes "could" spell disaster for Kims next "test" if in fact he were foolish enough to attempt another. But who knows.
      Fortitude.....The strength to persist...The courage to endure.

Comment

The first 10 frames were officially retired on December 31. There are still 40 in service. They are scheduled to be phased out this year, as more Raptors come online.
        "We will go through our federal budget – page by page, line by line – eliminating those programs we don’t need, and insisting that those we do operate in a sensible cost-effective way." -President Barack Obama 11/25/2008

Comment

Originally posted by xrough View Post
          The U.S. military has sent the radar-evading fighters regularly to South Korea for stays of a few months over the past few years. North Korea has criticized previous deployments as preparations for invasion and nuclear war.
          If Uncle Kim is ticked off with F-117 deployments, I can't wait to see what happens when a Raptor squadron deploys to the peninsula. ;)
          “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

But if NK will conduct another test, we can expect immediate response from the US?
            sigpic

Comment

If we were positive of an imminent test, I'd say there is a pretty good chance we would intervene.
              "We will go through our federal budget – page by page, line by line – eliminating those programs we don’t need, and insisting that those we do operate in a sensible cost-effective way." -President Barack Obama 11/25/2008

Comment

Originally posted by TopHatter View Post
                If Uncle Kim is ticked off with F-117 deployments, I can't wait to see what happens when a Raptor squadron deploys to the peninsula. ;)
                He wouldnt particularly care, imho. I dont think the NoKos would be planning anything significant via their already hopelessly outmatched AF. And the massive arty park, plus extensive fortifications they have, are not going to be setback significantly by a handful of stealth fighters.

IMHO, NoKo will do all it can to expand towards full scale nuke deployment, threatening SoKo via the same will be enough.
                Karmani Vyapurutham Dhanuhu

Comment

Originally posted by highsea View Post
                  If we were positive of an imminent test, I'd say there is a pretty good chance we would intervene.
                  Even with Iraq on the boiler? The current pol. climate in the US seems pretty hostile to any more mil action and an attack on NoKo could escalate.
                  Karmani Vyapurutham Dhanuhu

Comment

It's true that Iraq is still burden for the US where suicide bombings are frequent and peace and order not seen yet..Meaning US deployed its F-117 fighter just to scare NK not to conduct another test?
                    sigpic

Comment

Its safe to asume that the F-117's are in SK as a deterrent to another NK nuclear test. My personal view on them being used in the event of such a test is that they likely will not. North Korea is not worth the hassle of attacking unless there is clear evidence that they are spreading nuclear tech to other parties. So far as I know that is not the case currently. Id love to see the US redeploy its forces from Korea. That would put Kim in a very interesting position.

Comment

The USA continue their political line to get their enemies to feel a constant military pressure. Military demonstrations and media propagation against North Korea, Iran and some other countries - this allow to have had prepared positions to any actions against them, even including direct attack. But USA haven’t taken all political and strategic benefits from North Korean situation, so the US will continue this way.

Comment

Originally posted by MrFirst View Post
                          The USA continue their political line to get their enemies to feel a constant military pressure. Military demonstrations and media propagation against North Korea, Iran and some other countries - this allow to have had prepared positions to any actions against them, even including direct attack. But USA haven’t taken all political and strategic benefits from North Korean situation, so the US will continue this way.
                          In all seriousness if we really wanted to rattle Kim then he would have a carrier sitting off his coast and Air ops in plain sight. Then he would really be rattled. Could think of 4 other ships of the same class to send Kim a message but thats for another thread.
                          Fortitude.....The strength to persist...The courage to endure.

Comment

Originally posted by Archer View Post
                            He wouldnt particularly care, imho. I dont think the NoKos would be planning anything significant via their already hopelessly outmatched AF.
                            It's not air-to-air ordnance that I'd be concerned about if I was Kim Jong-Il.

I'm sure that Iraq has proven to him that his AF is basically worthless except as a great way for the U.S. to expend it's AMRAAM and SM-2 inventories.

Originally posted by Archer View Post
                            And the massive arty park, plus extensive fortifications they have, are not going to be setback significantly by a handful of stealth fighters.
                            Very true, but if you want to escalate things to a full-blown conventional war, it won't be a mere handful of stealth fighters.
                            “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

Originally posted by Dreadnought View Post
                              In all seriousness if we really wanted to rattle Kim then he would have a carrier sitting off his coast and Air ops in plain sight. Then he would really be rattled. Could think of 4 other ships of the same class to send Kim a message but thats for another thread.
                              Of course, America is a great and rich country. But to send an aircraft carrier just "to rattle" is too prodigally even for it. imho

Comment

Working...
                              X