This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Professional/recommended reading lists

Please add any professional or recommended reading lists that you think would be helpful for The Staff School! Feel free to include your own personal lists based on your prior reading.
    Last edited by Shek; 09 Jan 07,, 20:10.
    "So little pains do the vulgar take in the investigation of truth, accepting readily the first story that comes to hand." Thucydides 1.20.3

Here's the Chief of Staff, United States Army (CSA) Professional Reading List for General Schoomaker.

Here's Thomas Ricks' Top Ten non-Iraq books to understand Iraq. He is the author of Fiasco: The American Military Adventure in Iraq.

USMC Reading List

The following lists come out of the Combined Arms Center (CAC) at Fort Leavenworth, Kansas, which is the home of the Command & Staff General College. LTG Petraeus, who will soon be replacing GEN Casey as the MNF-I Commander in Iraq, is the current CAC Commander, and so you can think of these lists as being to a degree, LTG Petraeus' reading lists.

Combined Arms Center Commander's Jihadism/Militant Islam Reading List

Combined Arms Center Commander's Cultural Awareness Reading List

Combined Arms Center Commander's Counterinsurgency Reading List

A general reading list link "library", which contains many of the above lists.
    Last edited by Shek; 09 Jan 07,, 20:48.
    "So little pains do the vulgar take in the investigation of truth, accepting readily the first story that comes to hand." Thucydides 1.20.3

Comment

Excellent choice for a thread :)

Here's a website I didn't even know existed until Shek got me thinking about it. I've got 3 or 4 of my favorites on their list:

http://www.navyreading.navy.mil/
      “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

Originally posted by TopHatter View Post
        Excellent choice for a thread :)

Here's a website I didn't even know existed until Shek got me thinking about it. I've got 3 or 4 of my favorites on their list:

http://www.navyreading.navy.mil/
        TH,
        Thanks. I know that the USMC has their own reading lists as well - I just haven't had a chance to go out and collect up the links and drop them in the thread.

EDIT: I've added the lists above, now.
        Last edited by Shek; 09 Jan 07,, 20:49.

Comment

This may be the World Affairs Board but I'm going to keep it at a lower level. Here's a list for fire team leader and below. Band of Brothers always makes everyones shortlist. Here's some that are often overlooked that deserve a mention.

Nonfiction:
          - Soldier by Anthony Herbert
          - Steel My Soldier's Hearts by David Hackworth
          - Blackjack 33 by James Donahue

Fiction:
          - Sharpe's Rifles by Bernard Cornwell
          - The 13th Valley by John Del Vecchio
          - Gates of Fire by Steven Pressfield

To be worth anything a book has to hold your attention. I went to sleep trying to read Seven Pillars of Wisdom.
          Last edited by Rifleman; 10 Jan 07,, 06:12.

Comment

ST-100-3 Battlebook
            ST-100-7 OPFOR Battlebook
            FM 3.0 Operations

Extremely hard reads but these books are the basis for alot of non-Western military doctrines.

Comment

Indian army doctrine for Sub conventional operations Thanks to Marquez for finding this.

US army Field manual on CI FM 3-24

Comment

Barbarossa, The German Russian Conflict 1941-1945, by Alan Clark
                Why the Allies Won, by Richard Overy
                A Peace to End All Peace, The Fall of the Ottoman Empire and the Creation of the Modern Middle East, by David Fromkin
                The Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire, by Edward Gibbon
                The Gathering Storm, by Winston Churchill
                "Every man has his weakness. Mine was always just cigarettes."

Comment

I think two phenominal books to read are the two published by Thomas Barnett on the Pentagon. The Pentagon's New Road Map and The Pentagon's New Road Map: Blue Print for Action

Comment

Many doorstops to add!

If someone could be of assistance, over the years I have suggested an awful lot of books, some of serious interest, others that find their value as diversion.
                    In most cases I believe that I had submitted an ISBN as aid. So ... given I have just a little trouble navigating the WAB, the assistance would be that of plonking them all on his thread.

I suppose I could always go up to the library.
                    Where's the bloody gin? An army marches on its liver, not its ruddy stomach.

Comment

Boyd
                      Poole
                      Lind

W

Comment

Air Force Reading List

I know each service has their own recommended reading list, here is the Air Force list:
                        Chief of staff of Air Force announces new reading list

Comment

Wars of Blood and Faith, by Ralph Peters

Comment

No Luttwak or Clausewitz on the USMC lists?

Comment

Hellooo. First post on these boards. Wow...what a great place!!

This is an old field manual but I think it has some useful stuff in it for combined forces operations that can still be applied today.

FM 100-20: Command And Employment Of Air Power

And a couple of books...

On War - Carl von Clausewitz
                              Modern Strategy - Colin S. Gray

Cheers,
                              Last edited by HAL; 08 Mar 08,, 11:34.
                              HAL.

Comment

Working...
                              X