US To spend 100 billion dollars for nuclear rearmament

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by glyn View Post
    I don't know about anybody else but the term 'shelf life' for nuclear weapons is a mystery to me. If such things as jet engines can be sealed in a container and still be expected to function perfectly years later when opened up, why can't a similar method be used for the nukes?
    While I would like to take credit for the below - I cannot. All I knew is the problem was reactionary material in relation to age. These weapons were only designed to last 20 - 25 years and some are now at 35 year old status. The information below is from the Los Alamos National Labratory website.

There are many materials in a nuclear weapon, including metals, high explosives, polymers, and ceramics. The aging of any one of these materials could affect weapon performance, which is why scientists with a wide range
    of materials expertise are working to understand aging processes. The challenges these scientists face are illustrated by the aging issues for uranium.

Uranium is the main heavy metal used in a weapon's "rad case" to redirect the x-ray radiation produced by the weapon's fission primary. It is also sometimes used in other weapon parts.Uranium and its alloys age in several ways.

Like steel, pure uranium "rusts" when exposed to the oxygen in air. It is also corroded by hydrogen. Although nuclear warheads are sealed in airtight metal containers to reduce oxidation and corrosion, the high explosives, plastics,
    and other organic materials also in the container emit tiny amounts of oxygen, hydrogen, and water vapor that, over time, can cause problems.

Uranium alloys also change their crystal structures, or phases, over time, which also presents aging problems. Materials scientists manufacture a part to have a specific phase in order to optimize its strength, density, or
    corrosion resistance. However, the strain a part accumulates during fabrication and the temperature variations a weapon experiences in the field can, over time, change the phase, thereby degrading a part's properties.

Subjected to the considerable heat given off by a weapon's radioactive plutonium, for example, a uranium part—and all other weapon parts—can reach temperatures as high as 40°C (about 100°F). A weapon can also experience temperature extremes in its storage environment, such as a desert. Temperature-induced phase changes that degrade uranium's mechanical properties are a major concern.

The information above is from the Los Alamos National Labratory website.
    Welcome, you step into a forum of the flash bang, chew toy hell, and shove it down your throat brutal honesty. OoE

Comment

Major Dad and Debbie, thank you both very much. What confuses me (and still does to a degree) is the knowledge that the weapon parts are removed from some systems that are going out of service, and put into the replacement ones. I visited the Sandia museum about 5 years ago but didn't ask the helpful staff the right questions.
      Semper in excretum. Solum profunda variat.

Comment

Glyn, why such big letters?

Comment

Originally posted by MrFirst View Post
          I'm eccentric.
          Semper in excretum. Solum profunda variat.

Comment

Originally posted by MrFirst View Post
            (He's a bit deaf)
            In the realm of spirit, seek clarity; in the material world, seek utility.

Leibniz

Comment

Originally posted by glyn View Post
              Major Dad and Debbie, thank you both very much. What confuses me (and still does to a degree) is the knowledge that the weapon parts are removed from some systems that are going out of service, and put into the replacement ones. I visited the Sandia museum about 5 years ago but didn't ask the helpful staff the right questions.
              Glyn if you are familiar with Sandia (bet that was a great visit) then you need to be familiar with the Savannah River Site - www.srs.gov, the Kansas City Plant - www.globalsecurity.org and the Pantex Plant - sorry I forgot to include the address. But these 3 are in the business of recycling electronic, mechanical, plastic and non-fissionable parts that this thread is about. Pantex is more into the assembly/disassembly while SRS and KCP are more into the recycling. True as you stated earlier, certain things should still work and they do. Happy researching!!
              Welcome, you step into a forum of the flash bang, chew toy hell, and shove it down your throat brutal honesty. OoE

Comment

I think any country that wishes to have nukes will be allowed for their own securitry and defense against agrression..
                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                X