Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When was the last time your country was invaded by a foreign army?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Albany Rifles View Post
    And can you throw Guam and Wake Island into the mix since they were also territories of the US.
    How about the Philippines? It was a US territory and then invaded by the IJA.
    "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

• Originally posted by gunnut View Post
      Around Dec. 12 , so I think Wake Island would technically be the last invasion, Dec. 23.
      When our perils are past, shall our gratitude sleep? - George Canning sigpic

Comment

Thought someone mentioned them earlier.

What about Kiska on 6 June and Attu on 7 June 1942?
        “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
        Mark Twain

Comment

• Originally posted by Albany Rifles View Post
          Thought someone mentioned them earlier.
          Maybe...it's been a while since I read this thread.

Originally posted by Albany Rifles View Post
          What about Kiska on 6 June and Attu on 7 June 1942?
          Those were territories also. But I believe we ejected the Japanese out of Philippines after we recovered Kiska and Attu.
          "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

• Being spaniard I would be tempted to say 1808, when Napoleon invaded us, but I think it might be more accurate to say 1898 when spanish territory was invaded by the US. We lost Cuba and Philippines (among other places) in a disastrous conflict.

Greetings.

Comment

Those were territories also. But I believe we ejected the Japanese out of Philippines after we recovered Kiska and Attu.
              Well but the invasion of Philipines was in Dec. 41, so the last time an invasion took place would be the Aleutan Islands on June 7, 42. The time of recovery would mean the last time an invasion was successfully repelled.
              When our perils are past, shall our gratitude sleep? - George Canning sigpic

Comment

• I guess my the last invasion for the US would have been WWII...

Comment

• Originally posted by chakos View Post
                  Since European settlement... Never, but if anyones interested they are more than welcome to try

Chakos,

I don't know their exact legal status, but I'm pretty sure that parts of Papua New Guinea invaded in 1942-3 by the Japanese were Australian territory (external territories I suspect). Technically different to colonies.
                  sigpic

Win nervously lose tragically - Reds C C

Comment

• I was born 1940 in Hong Kong, then a British colony. In December 1941, I would be much too small to know the Japanese invaded and got a surrender in less than 3 weeks.

The brutal Japanese occupation lasted until 1945 when they surrended after two US atomiic bomb blasts.
                    Last edited by Merlin; 18 Mar 09,, 16:10.

Comment

• Last time would be February 1945.

Comment

Working...
                      X