Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When was the last time your country was invaded by a foreign army?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When was the last time your country was invaded by a foreign army?

I believe the last time NZ was invaded by a foreign military force was when British soldiers came over to help the Colonial settlers fight against Maori angry at their land being taken from them. The battles ended around 1870.

Since then we have fought all our wars away from home and arguably we have been the invading army, although i'm sure we were on the "right side":).

I'm not including the "terrorist attack" when French agents sank the Rainbow Warrior in Auckland Harbour 1985 - killing one person, or the Japanese submarine which travelled through our waters in WW2, or friendly countries on shore leave/ training exercises.

1812, US invasion of Canada.

Comment

I'm not sure when the invasion began, but it made it's presence known to everyone September 11, 2001.
      No man is free until all men are free - John Hossack
      I agree completely with this Administration’s goal of a regime change in Iraq-John Kerry
      even if that enforcement is mostly at the hands of the United States, a right we retain even if the Security Council fails to act-John Kerry
      He may even miscalculate and slide these weapons off to terrorist groups to invite them to be a surrogate to use them against the United States. It’s the miscalculation that poses the greatest threat-John Kerry

Comment

Originally posted by ZFBoxcar
        Would the hezzbollah settlers count for Canuckia? A lot of these "death to Israel" fanatics set up shop in the US & Canada. And are probably f'n hard to distinguish from the actually benevolent without an encyclopedia of intel.

Comment

As true as all that might be, I was responding in the spirit in which the thread was intended. I mean, the Canadian government and American government still hold sovreignty over all their territory right now, regardless of terrorist infilitration or attacks.

Comment

1939 USSR attacked Finland.

Comment

Thanks ZF. I was trying to get actual armies/ airforces/ navys invasion rather than terrorists. I do see a difference in a foreign government sending in hundreds or thousands etc to fight to conquer a country, rather than just kill many people for the sake of killing many people.

Comment

United States was last invaded by Imperial Japan in 1941.

Comment

1999 when pakistanis tried to capture some peaks in Kargil.
                  Jhingalala-Jhingalala, Hurr-Hurr!!! :eek:

Comment

Originally posted by Praxus
                    United States was last invaded by Imperial Japan in 1941.
                    Not in american soil.

Comment

American territory was taken.

Comment

Actually, 1866-70, the Fenian Invasions.

Comment

American territory was taken.
                          Could you specify the territory/geographical location that you are referring to.

Cheers!...on the rocks!!

Comment

Thanks OOE. Your post, and Google, led me to read about the "invasion". O'neill must have had delusions of grandeur to try such a scheme.

Comment

Not as dellusional as you think. These were battle hardened veterans of the American Civil War. In the first few encounters, they drove the British Regts/Canadian Militia from the field. The Queen's Own Rifles of Canada, Canada's oldest regiment, was trounced like never before.

It was just that the Irish could not take advantage of their victories being bingo ammo.

Comment

Working...
                              X