Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Army's mistaken letters

I know mistakes happen, but ... ouch

WASHINGTON (AP) -- The Army said Friday it would apologize to the families of about 275 officers killed or wounded in action who were mistakenly sent letters urging them to return to active duty.

The letters were sent a few days after Christmas to more than 5,100 Army officers who had recently left the service. Included were letters to about 75 officers killed in action and about 200 wounded in action.

"Army personnel officials are contacting those officers' families now to personally apologize for erroneously sending the letters," the Army said in a brief news release issued Friday night.

The Army did not say how or when the mistake was discovered. It said the database normally used for such correspondence with former officers had been "thoroughly reviewed" to remove the names of wounded or dead soldiers.

"But an earlier list was used inadvertently for the December mailings," the Army statement said, adding that the Army is apologizing to those officers and families affected and "regrets any confusion."
    Linked Here
    "To dream of the person you would like to be is to waste the person you are."-Sholem Asch

"I always turn to the sports page first, which records people's accomplishments. The front page has nothing but man's failures."-Earl Warren

"I didn't intend for this to take on a political tone. I'm just here for the drugs."-Nancy Reagan, when asked a political question at a "Just Say No" rally

"He no play-a da game, he no make-a da rules."-Earl Butz, on the Pope's attitude toward birth control

Talk about subtle indicators the ground-pounders are hurting for recruits.

I can see the recruitment letter now:

"We know you've given the ultimate sacrifice for your country...

But we believe you can give more!"

Jack-asses, way to show just how the system treats and really cares about our men and women in uniform and their loved-ones.
    The black flag is raised: Ban them all... Let the Admin sort them out.

I know I'm going to have the last word... I have powers of deletion and lock.

Comment

I bet Blairs govt is pi55ed off they didnt think of it 1st , tossers

Comment

Horrido,

The letters were sent to officers who has resigned their commissions. There have actually been countless officers in this category who have returned to active duty - many resigned their commissions prior to 9/11 because the Army wasn't doing anything, and obviously that has changed. Many were tired of deployments and decided to get out. After some time out, they discovered that while they had left the Army, the Army hadn't left them, and so they decided to return. Thus, this is not a desparation act, but rather a prudent move to maybe add that little tug/push to convince those considering returning to return.

All the above being said, the letters wouldn't be going out if there wasn't a need for more officers - the reality is that we are quite healthy at the junior officer level - it's as we get to the senior Captain level through I believe junior Lieutenant Colonel level that we aren't where we'd like to be in terms of numbers. Hence, the reason that I'm already a Major now
        "So little pains do the vulgar take in the investigation of truth, accepting readily the first story that comes to hand." Thucydides 1.20.3

Comment

Originally posted by shek View Post
          Horrido,

The letters were sent to officers who has resigned their commissions. There have actually been countless officers in this category who have returned to active duty - many resigned their commissions prior to 9/11 because the Army wasn't doing anything, and obviously that has changed. Many were tired of deployments and decided to get out. After some time out, they discovered that while they had left the Army, the Army hadn't left them, and so they decided to return. Thus, this is not a desparation act, but rather a prudent move to maybe add that little tug/push to convince those considering returning to return.

All the above being said, the letters wouldn't be going out if there wasn't a need for more officers - the reality is that we are quite healthy at the junior officer level - it's as we get to the senior Captain level through I believe junior Lieutenant Colonel level that we aren't where we'd like to be in terms of numbers. Hence, the reason that I'm already a Major now
          Oh, I'm well aware of that and have no issue with sending letters to those not killed or grievously maimed. I just draw the line at putting a buffoonist's spin on the old Monty Python skit,"Bring out your dead!"
          The black flag is raised: Ban them all... Let the Admin sort them out.

I know I'm going to have the last word... I have powers of deletion and lock.

Comment

Originally posted by Horrido View Post
            Oh, I'm well aware of that and have no issue with sending letters to those not killed or grievously maimed. I just draw the line at putting a buffoonist's spin on the old Monty Python skit,"Bring out your dead!"
            Bureaucracy at its finest
            "So little pains do the vulgar take in the investigation of truth, accepting readily the first story that comes to hand." Thucydides 1.20.3

Comment

Unfortunate, but an indication of bureaucratic indifference which is a phenomenon world over.

I don't think it is deliberate.

"Some have learnt many Tricks of sly Evasion, Instead of Truth they use Equivocation, And eke it out with mental Reservation, Which is to good Men an Abomination."

I don't have to attend every argument I'm invited to.

HAKUNA MATATA

Comment

Originally posted by Ray View Post
                I don't think it is deliberate.
                No, but extremely unprofessional and disrespectful.

Comment

Originally posted by Julie View Post
                  No, but extremely unprofessional and disrespectful.
                  I cannot but agree.

Unfortunate and trifle callous.

"Some have learnt many Tricks of sly Evasion, Instead of Truth they use Equivocation, And eke it out with mental Reservation, Which is to good Men an Abomination."

I don't have to attend every argument I'm invited to.

HAKUNA MATATA

Comment

Such thing happen from time to time, and although they appear insensitive, they where never mean't to be.

We to have such cases, but have learn't to shrug it off, after initial cribs.

Cheers!...on the rocks!!

Comment

Working...
                    X