What's everyone reading?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Currently ready 2 books

Protectors War (book 2 o fthe Dies the Fire series by RM Stirling)

Tank Rider- Into the the Third Reich with the Red Army (memoirs of a tankdetski infantryman) by Evgeni Bessonov

Comment

• Originally posted by zraver View Post
      Currently ready 2 books

Protectors War (book 2 o fthe Dies the Fire series by RM Stirling)

Tank Rider- Into the the Third Reich with the Red Army (memoirs of a tankdetski infantryman) by Evgeni Bessonov

I also liked Stirlings "Conquistador". What did you think of Tank Rider? Who would of thought that having the fewest number of casualties would get you passed over for promotion. Tough army.
      Reddite igitur quae sunt Caesaris Caesari et quae sunt Dei Deo
      (Render therefore unto Caesar the things which are Caesar's and unto God the things which are God's)

Comment

• Originally posted by sappersgt View Post
        Today I picked up a copy of "Stalin's Ghost" by Martin Cruz Smith. It's been a while since he's published anything. His book "Gorky Park" and the subsequent movie are only time I've seen the dialogue on the screen match the book verbatim.
        Thank you for your links on the SADF books. Now all I have to do is find them!

If you want to read about Stalin, I suggest his biography by Eduard Radzinsky (spelling may differ). Very thick collection of works, but can be found on a good online library. Gives excellent insights in the mind and the works of the man, and how criminal traditions were so well translated into one of the world's most cruel and inhumane, yet efficient regimes.

One more SADF-related question (I've got really hooked on them since I visited South Africa last year)
        In the film Blood Diamond, when Danny and Solomon are overwatching the rebel camp and Danny contacts the Outcomes, he asks them to send in the [Dakkadak]. Is is a term for a helicopter in general, an attack helicopter or an airstrike?

Comment

• Aftermath, Inc.: Cleaning Up After CSI Goes Home

A book about a crime and trauma clean up company started here in a town near my home.

Very interesting...I LOVE THIS STUFF!!!:)
          Attached Files
          "To dream of the person you would like to be is to waste the person you are."-Sholem Asch

"I always turn to the sports page first, which records people's accomplishments. The front page has nothing but man's failures."-Earl Warren

"I didn't intend for this to take on a political tone. I'm just here for the drugs."-Nancy Reagan, when asked a political question at a "Just Say No" rally

"He no play-a da game, he no make-a da rules."-Earl Butz, on the Pope's attitude toward birth control

Comment

• Rainbow Six...it's such an amazing book!

My queue has Black Hawk Down, Inside Delta Force, Alien: Nightmare Asylum, Scorpions and Shooter. I also have to read Killer Angels and A Seprate Piece for school
            "you have enemies, good. That means you stood up for something, sometime in your life"

Comment

• "The Wealth and Poverty of Nations" by David Landes

Comment

• "The Killer Angels" by Michael Shaara. Recommended as good reading and I am thoroughly enjoying it!
                “When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.” ~ Jimi Hendrix
                "No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." ~ Eleanor Roosevelt
                sigpic

Comment

• Amazon.com: Hidden Order: The Economics of Everyday Life: Books: David D. Friedman
                  "So little pains do the vulgar take in the investigation of truth, accepting readily the first story that comes to hand." Thucydides 1.20.3

Comment

• just finished the videssos series by harry turtledove. i'm waiting for his new alternate WWII book finale to come out (In at the Death).
                    There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."- Isaac Asimov

Comment

• Moby Dick cant say enough good things about this book, pick up a copy and haver her a go!

Comment

• Originally posted by astralis View Post
                        just finished the videssos series by harry turtledove. i'm waiting for his new alternate WWII book finale to come out (In at the Death).
                        Should be soon (I hope).The last one just came out in paperback.

I just finished the new StarFIST- Firestorm by David Sherman and Dan Craig. Today at Barnes & Noble I picked up a copy of John Ringos just released A Deeper Blue.
                        (Render therefore unto Caesar the things which are Caesar's and unto God the things which are God's)

Comment

• Harry Turtledove

Originally posted by astralis View Post
                          just finished the videssos series by harry turtledove. i'm waiting for his new alternate WWII book finale to come out (In at the Death).
                          In At The Death came out on the shelves today, I snatched up the last copy they had. This is suppose to be the conclusion of the series. I wonder if he'll write a series about the peace (Marshall plan anyone?).

Comment

• Originally posted by sappersgt View Post
                            In At The Death came out on the shelves today, I snatched up the last copy they had. This is suppose to be the conclusion of the series. I wonder if he'll write a series about the peace (Marshall plan anyone?).
                            Sir, I'm a big fan of Harry Turtledove's works and I just read that book, the book seemed a bit inconclusive. There should be another book to wrap things up.

Do you think there will be a book similar to Homeward bound to end this or another series?

Perhaps a cold war between America and Germany.
                            Last edited by wkllaw; 16 Aug 07,, 21:24.
                            Those who can't change become extinct.

Comment

• haha, i just got In at the Death two days ago myself!

i hope there's a coda book (although i'm not sure there's going to be one). obviously in such a world, western influence is a good deal smaller, as the british empire fell that much sooner. even what we know as "western" is a good deal changed. germany's on top, the US is probably the most pleasant place to live, but this is a US which takes hostages in return for guerilla/terrorist attacks and which is thinking about an isolated island to cram all the mormons

from what i see, turtledove's next book will be one about atlantis; and currently he's working on a corrobrative online project which posits that if JFK had not been assassinated, the resulting security investigation would have led to his impeachment! very plausible IMHO...

The Impeachment and Trial of John F. Kennedy | Bryce Zabel & Harry Turtledove | WGAw #1119082
                              There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."- Isaac Asimov

Comment

• Still Life with Woodpecker. Tom Robbins

Comment

Working...
                                X