What's everyone reading?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by exported_kiwi View Post
    Recently, I just finished "The bear and the dragon" by Ton Clancy. I was extremely surprised to find such a novel available in China because the dragon part of the title is about China and a hypothetical war with Russia(bear) over newly discovered oli and gold resources in Siberia, and excellent read!
    That is one big book!!

I read the book sometime back. Nice one it is.

I just finished with "The angles weep" by Wilbur Smith.

Love that guy, he writes well.
    "To every man upon this earth, Death cometh soon or late;
    And how can a man die better; Than facing fearful odds,
    For the ashes of his father; And the temples of his gods."

Comment

Although I'm not reading it at the moment, I can recommend 'Three Cheers for Me' by Donald Jack as it is by far the funniest book I've ever read. If you do read it you will want to read all the other titles by this author.
      Semper in excretum. Solum profunda variat.

Comment

The books that tell of a alternate reality and that comprise of more than one book by Harry Turtledove.
        Those who can't change become extinct.

Comment

Amazon.com: Night Draws Near: Iraq's People in the Shadow of America's War: Books: Anthony Shadid

Only 30 pages into it, but it's been very illuminating so far about the thoughts of Iraqis about Saddam and OIF.
          "So little pains do the vulgar take in the investigation of truth, accepting readily the first story that comes to hand." Thucydides 1.20.3

Comment

Originally posted by wkllaw View Post
            The books that tell of a alternate reality and that comprise of more than one book by Harry Turtledove.
            I like Turtledove's books. I have 12 of them on the shelf the last of which I haven't started yet, "Beyond the Gap".
            Reddite igitur quae sunt Caesaris Caesari et quae sunt Dei Deo
            (Render therefore unto Caesar the things which are Caesar's and unto God the things which are God's)

Comment

sappersgt,

turtledove has got some interesting ideas, alright. while his biggest sells are the alternative history of the civil war leading to an alternate WWI and WWII, i feel his best works are the ones regarding the ancient world (his PhD is in byzantine history).

currently reading the "axis of time" trilogy by john birmingham. and on a more serious note, "prince of the marshes", by rory stewart.

Amazon.com: The Prince of the Marshes: And Other Occupational Hazards of a Year in Iraq: Books: Rory Stewart
              There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."- Isaac Asimov

Comment

Captain Underpants and the Preposterous Plight of the Purple Potty People
                :sighs:
                In the realm of spirit, seek clarity; in the material world, seek utility.

Leibniz

Comment

i feel his best works are the ones regarding the ancient world
                  In my opinion, harry Turtledove's best work are ones that are longer than just one book, those books shows good character development and how people and things change over time. The ones on timeline 191 is a excellent example, I particularly like how he portrays the characters and the way he draws parallels with the universe he made and our actual universe.
                  Those who can't change become extinct.

Comment

I have just got hold of a copy of Tony ( AG, check out his website ) Williams "Rapid Fire" whch is concerned with heavy machine guns and light automatic cannon.

If you are interested in guns of a more military bent, I thoroughly recommend this book.

BTW, still trying to finish Lundstrom's "First Team and the Guadacanal Campaign". I think that perhaps I might browse it for yewars to come.

Jonathan

Comment

This is not going to be of much interest to the majority of the people on the WAB, but to those with small to moderately aged children in their lives:

I bought a book called "Who Is A Stranger and What Should I Do?" (Amazon.com Link and it was pretty good for the wee one. Real, normal words were used, but it was not too hard to understand for my almost 5 year old. I can see easily how a 10 year old or so could read it on their own.

With my small one going to Kindergarten in the fall, I have frantically decided I need to start the Stranger Danger again (I started too early last time and ended up with her yelling "stranger, help!" at an elderly woman in the market practically scaring the woman to death and causing everyone to look in her direction which made for a rather embarassing situation for said elderly woman and myself. I bet that woman does not comment on how pretty a kids shoes are again, though).
                      "To dream of the person you would like to be is to waste the person you are."-Sholem Asch

"I always turn to the sports page first, which records people's accomplishments. The front page has nothing but man's failures."-Earl Warren

"I didn't intend for this to take on a political tone. I'm just here for the drugs."-Nancy Reagan, when asked a political question at a "Just Say No" rally

"He no play-a da game, he no make-a da rules."-Earl Butz, on the Pope's attitude toward birth control

Comment

Cosmo and when I need something a little more thrilling, I read Stephen King. The Stand really get's me going on the tread climber.
                        “When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.” ~ Jimi Hendrix
                        "No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." ~ Eleanor Roosevelt
                        sigpic

Comment

A Peace to End all Peace by David Fromkin

Comment

I'm finishing "Khrushcev's Cold War" by Aleksandr Fursenko and Timothy Naftali. It's an excellent insight into the Soviet side of the Cold War that hasn't been available prior to 2003. The Soviet archives used to write the book were only made available recently. Unfortunately, Putin is closing down the access to these records for further studies.

Comment

Originally posted by Kansas Bear View Post
                              A Peace to End all Peace by David Fromkin
                              Nothing like it for making me feel depressed! It is a valuable history of the state of the middle east immediately after WW1, and it is the victors of that war who made decisions about the region that in part has made the current conflicts inevitable.
                              Semper in excretum. Solum profunda variat.

Comment

John Ringo's (with Tom Kratman) latest novel, "Yellow Eyes". The human race once again defending earth from the Pos'leen.
                                Reddite igitur quae sunt Caesaris Caesari et quae sunt Dei Deo
                                (Render therefore unto Caesar the things which are Caesar's and unto God the things which are God's)

Comment

Working...
                                X