No announcement yet.

What's everyone reading?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Construction methods: A fire science for college.
    Fortitude.....The strength to persist...The courage to endure.

Comment

Just finished both of Michael Durant's books, Night Stalkers and In The Company Of Heros.

He's got a terrific writing style, I hope he has more books planned.
      “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

Originally posted by sappersgt View Post
        Tuesday is when the new books come out at Barnes & Noble. Today I picked up Harold Coyle's (with Barrett Tillman) new novel Pandora's Legion, It's been a while for anything new by him, I'm looking forward to reading it.
        I haven't really enjoyed anything Harold Coyle has written since Sword Point.

Also, I'm nearly done with Charlie Wilson's War now (though it's taken me nearly a month, an extremely long time by my standards) and I'm either gonna start Chain of Command by Casper Weinberger or Ghost Wars by Steve Coll next.

Comment

As I was laid up for a while, a friend gave me the John Meaney “Nulaperion” trilogy, as she said, “if I couldn’t exercise my body, I could use it to exercise my mind”.
          She was correct, this is the best Science Fiction I’ve read in many a year. It’s hard SF with a emphasis on Science, I can readily recommend it to all who enjoy SF, but if you’re not fully up on current physics and biology, (as I wasn’t) then “get ready to Google” if you want full enjoyment.
          When we blindly adopt a religion, a political system, a literary dogma, we become automatons. We cease to grow. - Anais Nin

Comment

Originally posted by Amled View Post
            As I was laid up for a while, a friend gave me the John Meaney “Nulaperion” trilogy, as she said, “if I couldn’t exercise my body, I could use it to exercise my mind”.
            She was correct, this is the best Science Fiction I’ve read in many a year. It’s hard SF with a emphasis on Science, I can readily recommend it to all who enjoy SF, but if you’re not fully up on current physics and biology, (as I wasn’t) then “get ready to Google” if you want full enjoyment.
            Cool, I'll keep it in mind:)
            In the realm of spirit, seek clarity; in the material world, seek utility.

Leibniz

Comment

"Sixty Days and Counting" by Kim Stanley Robinson.
              Reddite igitur quae sunt Caesaris Caesari et quae sunt Dei Deo
              (Render therefore unto Caesar the things which are Caesar's and unto God the things which are God's)

Comment

What's Everyone Reading?

I'm currently reading "Black Water" (The Rise of the World's Most Powerful Mercenary Army) by Jeremy Scahill. It's pretty interesting so far, but I don't how how hyped-up and sensationalized it is because the author is an investigative journalist.
                Next up will be "Digital Fortress" by Dan Brown.
                "Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." - John Adams

Comment

Almost finished with Cobra II.
                  "We will go through our federal budget – page by page, line by line – eliminating those programs we don’t need, and insisting that those we do operate in a sensible cost-effective way." -President Barack Obama 11/25/2008

Comment

A World Undone-G.Jj. Meyer-about WW1 excellent read so far.

Comment

What I'm reading

Recently, I just finished "The bear and the dragon" by Ton Clancy. I was extremely surprised to find such a novel available in China because the dragon part of the title is about China and a hypothetical war with Russia(bear) over newly discovered oli and gold resources in Siberia, and excellent read!
                      I'm a big fan of WEB Griffin and have read many of his books, but they're so damned hard to find over here in China! Actually, where I live, any decent geopolitical/military novel is kinda hard to find and when found, although cheap in $, are damned expensive in the local currency (RMB). I'm only a poor English teacher here so trips to HK are out but I try to find, and buy, a new novel every couple of months so I can re-read when the local English language newspaper has a slow news day!

Comment

This is what I am reading ... I am almost at page 3

http://www.worldaffairsboard.com/wor...reading-3.html

Comment

"Jennifer Government" by Max barry.

A good book, if a little scary, due to it's "Capitalizm" .
                          Although it is not true that all conservatives are stupid people, it is true that most stupid people are conservative.
                          - John Stuart Mill.

Comment

Just finished "Breakpoint" by Richard A. Clarke. Starting "the Changing Face of War" by Martin Van Creveld.
                            Reddite igitur quae sunt Caesaris Caesari et quae sunt Dei Deo
                            (Render therefore unto Caesar the things which are Caesar's and unto God the things which are God's)

Comment

Reading this now

"Chinese-Soviet relations, 1937-1945 : the diplomacy of Chinese nationalism" by Garver, John W.
                              Seek Save Serve Medic

Comment

'Alien Sex', 'South Park Conservatives', and 'Team of Rivals'.

Comment

Working...
                                X