• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Former Pakistani prime minister barred access to mosque’s men’s sanctuary

Former Pakistani prime minister barred access to mosque’s men’s sanctuary

Islam: Women, men worship separate but equal

By KEVIN GARCIA
    The Brownsville Herald

October 16, 2004 — Every mosque has its rules, and worshippers in Brownsville aren’t about to break them — not even for the first female prime minister of the Muslim world.

Former Pakistani Prime Minister Benazir Bhutto visited Brownsville on Friday, where she prayed in the Mazidur-Rahman’s female sanctuary while male worshippers emotionally debated whether she should have access to the male sanctuary.

Following the talk, Bhutto was told she could not enter the male sanctuary to meet the rest of the congregation.

The request initially prompted surprise from the former Pakistani leader, but she would not comment directly on the issue. Instead, Bhutto waited outside on a blanket to discuss world affairs with the mosque’s male members.

“I feel real bad because she had to be outside,” said Bari Siddique, a mosque member and mathematics professor at the University of Texas at Brownsville and Texas Southmost College. “Had I known that she was coming we could have arranged something. If not there, then somewhere comfortable to talk.”

In Islam, men and women are expected to be treated equally but kept separate in social situations to preserve family values, mosque members explained.

Controversy arose among worshippers following Bhutto’s arrival for a 2 p.m. prayer. Some felt a visiting dignitary should be allowed into the men’s sanctuary, while others felt that a person’s political status should not matter inside a place of worship.

While Siddique said Bhutto should have been allowed in the men’s sanctuary following prayer, fellow member Ahmad Karkoutly said they should respect the religious tradition.

“Any other woman, even my wife, or anybody else’s wife, would not be allowed in that section, because we are trying to maintain the rule for that place,” said Karkoutly, a medical doctor and Brownsville mosque member. “This is Allah’s house, and you have to go with the rule of the host.”

That view was shared by Brownsville pharmacist Ahmad Khalil, who was most vocal about his positio
    n that segregation is part of the religion.

“Tradition can be changed by generation and by customs, but religion can never be changed,” Khalil said. “It is presented by Allah Subhanahu Wataala (all glory to God). Islam preserves the family and values (the family) to the highest possible standards. In Islam men and women are not inferior or superior. They are equal and they complement each other to create a good family and a good nation.”

To that respect, neither sanctuary entrance — men’s or women’s — faces the parking lot. Both doors face opposite directions so neither is a “front door.” Both sanctuaries have the same amenities and are adapted to suit the needs of the people, mosque members said.

While the prime minister did not make any public comments about the issue, she did express a respect for the different views of the local Muslim community.

“I’m very happy to find that there is a Muslim community in Brownsville,” Bhutto said prior to her visit to the mosque.

Siddique said he appreciated her visit and hopes she understands why she was not permitted full access to the mosque.

“She didn’t make an issue because she comes from that background and she knows that men and women, especially in the mosque, don’t go and sit down together,” he said.

[email protected]

http://www.brownsvilleherald.com/ts_...61648_0_10_0_M
    What could be the reason?

OK in Church, we did also look at good looking girls. but then none had evil thoughts. Or did they?

"Some have learnt many Tricks of sly Evasion, Instead of Truth they use Equivocation, And eke it out with mental Reservation, Which is to good Men an Abomination."

I don't have to attend every argument I'm invited to.

HAKUNA MATATA

Haha...

Comment

well, things arent moving that fast, Bhutto is stupid to even request a meeting with the male members in the mosque.
      A grain of wheat eclipsed the sun of Adam !!

Comment

Working...
      X