WWII Destroyers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WWII Destroyers

General opinion question for everyone. What WWI to WWII era Destroyer or Destroyers do YOU LIKE THE BEST? Now, it could be any countrys destroyer from that era. Now this is just a OPINION not fact!

Mine I have a group I like from the U.S. Mahan class 1935-36 , Gleaves class 1939-42, All time best is a tie the famous "Fighting Fletchers" 1942-44,
    and the Allen M. Sumner class 1944-45.

From Japan just one, which is pretty much all they had the Fubuki class 1927-31.
    "Peace through Power" Late Ronald Reagan

Gearing Class, been on a few. Number two would be the Fletchers DD445-692

Comment

Gearing class. A stretched Fletcher with huge range for work in the Pacific. Some are still in service. A few armed with Standard 1 missiles were just recently retired by the ROCN.
      "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by gunnut View Post
        Gearing class. A stretched Fletcher with huge range for work in the Pacific. Some are still in service. A few armed with Standard 1 missiles were just recently retired by the ROCN.
        A Gearing is a "long hulled" Allen Sumner class DD.

Comment

I'm a big fan of the Fletchers.

Comment

Originally posted by RAL's_pal? View Post
            Gearing Class, been on a few. Number two would be the Fletchers DD445-692
            Ditto on both classes. Gearings were nicely laid out with their twin 5-inch mounts (until we took no. 2 off for some gee whiz gadget) and the Fletchers really looked sleek with their five 5-inch single mounts (until we took no. 3 off for some gee whiz gadget).

They were easy to work on also EXCEPT the expansion joint that ran right through the galley. Always had to put hoods on, tape up collars and cuffs and tape down gloves while pulling out insulation from the bolting angles of the rubber. If you felt like you were moving, that was because the Cockroaches in the insulation were objecting to your interference of their life style and trying to 86 you out onto the main deck.
            Able to leap tall tales in a single groan.

Comment

Originally posted by RAL's_pal? View Post
              A Gearing is a "long hulled" Allen Sumner class DD.
              I stand corrected. I can never get those names straight.
              "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

I like the Japanese Kagero-class, specifically the Yukikaze. Something about all those torpedo launchers just tickles me.
                The black flag is raised: Ban them all... Let the Admin sort them out.

I know I'm going to have the last word... I have powers of deletion and lock.

Comment

I'm partial to the Fletchers given their overall balanced design. Decent main armament, good speed, excellent AA and plenty of torpedo's. They even look just right. The German Type 36A or Z-23 class and following classes were potent DD's but lacked the endurance.

I also like the British J,K and N class DD's, basically smaller, cheaper Tribals with slightly better AA outfits once the after torpedo tubes were swaped for a 4" HA.
                  Facts to a liberal is like Kryptonite to Superman.

-- Larry Elder

Comment

Originally posted by RustyBattleship View Post
                    Ditto on both classes. Gearings were nicely laid out with their twin 5-inch mounts (until we took no. 2 off for some gee whiz gadget) and the Fletchers really looked sleek with their five 5-inch single mounts (until we took no. 3 off for some gee whiz gadget).

Part of my negative collection is a lot of shots of Gearings, Sumners and Fletchers, pre FRAM, DASH and whatever else they tried. I have a few shots of the PACRESFLT in LB before the Korean War (even before your time) where it's nothing but Fletchers and the Isle Royale AD 29.

Comment

I sort of like Shimakaze that Japan fielded. The six 5-in guns and fifteen 24-in torpedo tubes gave her a really nice punch, while her top speed of 39 to 40 knots was just amazing. Too bad she was launched late in the war so that by the time Japan no longer had the resources to build her sister ships, hence Shimakaze was the only destroyer in her class.

http://ww2db.com/image.php?image_id=1850

I have a picture of her on my website at the URL above. A naval historian colleague of mine tells me he believes that is the only known photograph of Shimakaze.
                      Pete

Comment

Originally posted by RustyBattleship View Post
                        Gearings were nicely laid out with their twin 5-inch mounts (until we took no. 2 off for some gee whiz gadget)
                        The first series of FRAM-I conversions retained the two forward 5-inch mounts.

Some Gearings which did not receive FRAM also retained the two forward 5-inch mounts.

Comment

Originally posted by Shipwreck View Post
                          The first series of FRAM-I conversions retained the two forward 5-inch mounts.
                          Group A conversion :
                          Attached Files

Comment

Some Gearings which did not receive FRAM also retained the two forward 5-inch mounts.
                            USS Gyatt (DD-712) :
                            Attached Files

Comment

USS Bristol (DD-857) :
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X