Most laughably inaccurate war movies ever

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Most laughably inaccurate war movies ever

What film(s) do you think was the most inaccurate, laughable war movies ever made, whether its been pumping it up with unneeded drama and romance, inaccurate showing of military tactics, heavily clichéd, etc?
    "Every man has his weakness. Mine was always just cigarettes."

"Battle of the Bulge" and "Enemy at the Gates" both immediately spring to mind for me.

-dale

Comment

"Where Eagles Dare" with Clint Eastwood and Richard Burton. I loved it though! Loads of fun to watch!

Comment

"the green berets", by john wayne. and on the other side, "apocalypse now", although whether or not that counts as a war movie can be debated.
        There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."- Isaac Asimov

Comment

Most inaccurate: "Battle of the Bulge"
          Most anti-war: "Apocolypse Now"
          Most dumbest: "Pilot Number 5" with Van Johnson and Gene Kelly
          Most hilarious as a combination of war and sci-fi: "Zone Troopers"
          Most depressing: "The D.I." with Jack Webb as a Marine Drill Sergeant

Then there was one (I forgot the title) where in a flash back to WW II I play a German soldier beating a French Resistance fighter to death with my M-98 Mauser. Just HAD to be the worst ever because I don't think it was ever released.
          Able to leap tall tales in a single groan.

Comment

Kelly's Heroes
            Reddite igitur quae sunt Caesaris Caesari et quae sunt Dei Deo
            (Render therefore unto Caesar the things which are Caesar's and unto God the things which are God's)

Comment

Rambo 3, if you can count it as a war movie (CIA DID send operators to actively help the mujahids, didn't they )
              I'm sorry for my English - can make grammar mistakes sometimes :(

Comment

Originally posted by Ironduke View Post
                What film(s) do you think was the most inaccurate, laughable war movies ever made, whether its been pumping it up with unneeded drama and romance, inaccurate showing of military tactics, heavily clichéd, etc?
                By those standards...

Top Gun is right at the top of my list.

I especially love how a multi-billion dollar aircraft carrier with 5000+ sailors (valuable asset? Nah... ) and 90+ aircraft on board is only capable of launching THREE fighter aircraft for it's defense, mainly because Cats 3 and 4 picked a really odd time to simultaneously go down and Cats 1 and 2 must have been on a coffee break or something...
                “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

Originally posted by Ironduke View Post
                  Holy Moses, Ferrous One, I can see this thread running until doomsday. Virtually every war film I have ever seen has had its share of 'errors'. Perhaps the question to ask next is 'What was the most accurately portrayed war film'?
                  Semper in excretum. Solum profunda variat.

Comment

Originally posted by glyn View Post
                    Holy Moses, Ferrous One, I can see this thread running until doomsday. Virtually every war film I have ever seen has had its share of 'errors'. Perhaps the question to ask next is 'What was the most accurately portrayed war film'?
                    Nahh. There's "inaccurate"; wrong gun for the era, wrong uniform patches, dressing up Shermans for Panzers, etc., and then there's "laughable"; i.e. they didn't even TRY to get accurate.

-dale

Comment

Braveheart. Yeah, Wallace rebels against the King somewhere in Scotland and then boinks his woman(consenting) right under his heavily fortified nose!
                      Last edited by gilgamesh; 27 Dec 06,, 17:41.

Comment

Originally posted by glyn View Post
                        Perhaps the question to ask next is 'What was the most accurately portrayed war film'?
                        'The Longest Day'(I can't comment on the hardware). 'Great Escape'.

Both don't have swear words in them. So not realistic in that sense.

Edit: Add 'A Bridge Too Far'.
                        Last edited by gilgamesh; 27 Dec 06,, 16:33.

Comment

1941 and Pearl Harbour
                          When we blindly adopt a religion, a political system, a literary dogma, we become automatons. We cease to grow. - Anais Nin

Comment

Originally posted by Amled View Post
                            1941 and Pearl Harbour
                            Pearl Harbor indeed, it was a complete disgrace . Basically it was a love movie with cool spec. effects. I remember I looked soooooo forward to see it and was pretty disappointed. Tora Tora Tora is still the best PH movie around
                            I'm sorry for my English - can make grammar mistakes sometimes :(

Comment

You guys watch communist propaganda films? Especially Chinese ones? The ones from the Korean War was hillarious.

Comment

Working...
                              X