Most laughably inaccurate war movies ever

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MarquezRazor View Post
    Btw...not a war movie...but have anyone of you seen the Lord of War starring Nicholas Cage?
    Saw it when in first came out and really liked it. It's filmed on location and Cage does a good "War Lord". ;)

I still laugh thinking about the scene where he realizes he's about to get caught with a whole load of contraband cargo and so lands on a dirt road and dumps it out for all the locals to take. Sometimes you have to be able to think on your feet!

Him bribing the border guards replicated a personal incident I would just as soon forget.
    Reddite igitur quae sunt Caesaris Caesari et quae sunt Dei Deo
    (Render therefore unto Caesar the things which are Caesar's and unto God the things which are God's)

Comment

Originally posted by Amled View Post
      A draft dodger, but you're right a legend!!!;) :)
      I thought the Duke was too old to be drafted in WW2.
      "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

I liked that dialogue..."Keeping track of nuclear arsenels - you'd thing that more critical to world security. But it's not. No, nine out of ten war victims today are killed with assault rifles and small arms - like yours. Those nuclear weapons sit in their silos. Your AK-47, that's the real weapon of mass destruction."
        Interesting....Hollywood just justified the invasion of Iraq.

Comment

Originally posted by gunnut View Post
          A-ha! I knew there is a real why I sort of like Hollywood! :)
          Pete

Comment

Originally posted by sappersgt View Post
            I still laugh thinking about the scene where he realizes he's about to get caught with a whole load of contraband cargo and so lands on a dirt road and dumps it out for all the locals to take. Sometimes you have to be able to think on your feet!
            Yeah and the An-12 disappearing overnight..bit by bit...

Him bribing the border guards replicated a personal incident I would just as soon forget
            If ya tell that to me...will ya have to kill me..?

Comment

Actually AFAIK the hollywood(I mean US) didnt back the movie..so it was produced by international producers.

They even informed NATO when they shot a scene with tanks lined up for sale..so that NATO didnt think a war is being planned for real. when they saw it on satellite pics.
              Last edited by MarquezRazor; 28 Dec 06,, 20:02.

Comment

Yeah and the An-12 disappearing overnight..bit by bit...
                It is truly amazing how fast they took it apart with hand tools. I've seen unattended vehicles (big trucks) disappear over night in the same manner. You come back in the morning and it's just gone!

If ya tell that to me...will ya have to kill me..?:biggrin
                Only if you're wearing shoes...;)
                Last edited by sappersgt; 28 Dec 06,, 21:32.
                Reddite igitur quae sunt Caesaris Caesari et quae sunt Dei Deo
                (Render therefore unto Caesar the things which are Caesar's and unto God the things which are God's)

Comment

Actually AFAIK the hollywood(I mean US) didnt back the movie..so it was produced by international producers.

They even informed NATO when they shot a scene with tanks lined up for sale..so that NATO didnt think a war is being planned for real. when they saw it on satellite pics.
                  I did not know that. I might have to watch that movie now.

Comment

I thought the Duke was too old to be drafted in WW2.
                    You're right at 34 he was probably too old for the draft in '41.
                    So more of a skulker, who refused to step up and "do the right thing" as he always epitomized in his films.
                    If you think I'm picking on him, I'm not, I was weaned on "The Duke" and his films, but it doesn't alter the fact of his less-then-honourable war service, even his best friends like John Ford used to rag him about it.
                    When we blindly adopt a religion, a political system, a literary dogma, we become automatons. We cease to grow. - Anais Nin

Comment

Going back to the topic, there are regrettably a huge number of worthy candidates, most of whom have been nominated here already.

For me it is "The Battle of the Bulge". It has all of the necessary inaccuracies but what clinches the nomination is the scene where panzers are one moment in a snow draped forest and the next moment are in the desert, and north american desert by the look of the tumble weed. True crap!!

Jonathan

Comment

Another one..not a war movie..but based on present day Afganistan....in-accurate but entertaining.Released just 2/3 weeks back.
                        Attached Files

Comment

In the above movie theres a scene where the characters come across a smoking truck on the roadside...whcih has been bombed by US planes..with liquid dripping from the sides.The two Indians find out that its a cola drink and they taste it and start arguing whether its coke or pepsi.Finally they invite the American(Linda Arsenio) to give the verdict..and she says she doesnt know cuz she doesnt drink either of them.The Indians are surprised and they ask..."what kind of American doesnt drink either coke or pepsi?"...to which Linda Arsenio replies..."The sensible kind...?"

Comment

Originally posted by Amled View Post
                            You're right at 34 he was probably too old for the draft in '41.
                            So more of a skulker, who refused to step up and "do the right thing" as he always epitomized in his films.
                            If you think I'm picking on him, I'm not, I was weaned on "The Duke" and his films, but it doesn't alter the fact of his less-then-honourable war service, even his best friends like John Ford used to rag him about it.
                            Have you guys ever watched the way John Wayne walked? Harry Carey taught him that style to cover his limp.

Broke a hip when a horse threw him so he was a 4-F.

Ronald Reagan would have been a 4-F also because of his nearsightedness and almost stone deaf in one ear (a blank from a revolver was fired too close to his ear - I think by Errol Flynn). But Ronnie was already an officer in the Reserves (Cavalry at that) and was able to serve active duty though at home. He retired as a Captain but was up for Major when the Army decided he was over aged. Besides Eisenhower, Reagan served more time in uniform than any other President.
                            Able to leap tall tales in a single groan.

Comment

Pearl Harbour was a shocker.

There was a good one a few years ago about two guys in the balkans who were trying to kill each other and the UN ended up in the middle. That was a good one, will try to find out the name of it.
                              No sea too rough, no muf* too tough.

Comment

Pearl Harbor was the first thing that came to my mind. After some thought, Enemy at the Gates showed up, especially the end scene.

Top Gun has to be one of the worst film about military, ever!!! Although it was depicting a fictional conflict. I especially love how Goose died. And dressing up T-38 as Mig-28 (or some other weird even number for a Mig, which is just so wrong) was funny too.
                                Actually, it was an F-5. ;) The actual planes used in the film were later used by aggressor pilots at Top Gun, still in their black paint scheme.

But the worst have to be Pearl Harbor, Top Gun, Enemy At The Gates, and a few others that slipped my mind.

I still have a few bones to pick with SPR...
                                Last edited by leib10; 01 Jan 07,, 21:56.
                                "The right man in the wrong place can make all the difference in the world. So wake up, Mr. Freeman. Wake up and smell the ashes." G-Man

Comment

Working...
                                X