Crossbow within the special forces

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crossbow within the special forces

The crossbow is used for sentry elimination and silent killing.

Hellenic Army

Turkish Army

I'm wondering why the special forces are still using crossbow's when we got silencers. Like the MP-5 SD3 9mm.

Originally posted by KORNET-E View Post
    I'm wondering why the special forces are still using crossbow's when we got silencers. Like the MP-5 SD3 9mm.
    Guns aren't silent. They can be suppressed. Even suppressed they still make a hell of a pop, especially at night when things sound especially loud.

Crossbows on the other hand doesn't make much noise at all. Even if it does, not many people recognize it as a weapon being fired. The type of sound is as important as the loudness of it.
    "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

@Gunnut, thanks for the info.

Comment

'Stealth' is the key, to this weapon. Gunnut is right in what he posted.
        Not many are accostomed to the sound and use of a crossbow.
        The Greek SF, use the crossbow emerging from water (sea). its used to clear sentriy gaurds on beach heads, or cliffs faces. It is a good weapon of choice to use in the isnastance as it is quick to deploy., it is straped to you side belt whilst submergered. Come to the water edge, pop up, aim and shoot.
        Guns are usaully carried in a water-proof bag and 'dragged' whilst swinging towards shore end. Crossbow Easier and quicker to use, rather then getting a gun out of a bag.
        It is also used in night ops or raids.
        The Crossbows used have a good penetration and distance.
        Versatile and formidable weapon when used properly and in the right place.

Comment

In a silenced 9mm Sterling, there is no sound, except of the breech block.

Cheers!...on the rocks!!

Comment

The trouble with crossbows is the reloading time , and the max hunting range on the commercial ones are recommended at about 60/ 70 yards , Barnet do a good one which is the revolution XS compound bow with a draw weight of 160 lbs which needs a loading tool /crank for the ordinary mortal , and its recommended that a crank is used as that way your accuracy is better as the cord tends to sit correctly on the forks of the trigger as opposed to pulling back by hand where the cord can be slightly offset and so affect accuracy .

It delivers a 122 FT lbs of energy at 345 feet per second , which will drop a bison no probs .they are a great killing machine but with limitations , as is the case with all weapons ?
            Last edited by tankie; 18 Jan 07,, 13:45.

Comment

Just on a guess, I would say that a gun with a silencer has a better chance of being detected by a MWD team than a crossbow.
              --------------------------------------
              ([in advance of the mission, the officers are discussing the best way of overcoming some sentry posts] "And ther's no cover from 100 yards? I'd use a crossbow."--Lt. Pieter Coetze
              "Who do you think you are, William Tell?"--Lt. Shawn Flynn, (w,stte), "The Wild Geese")

Comment

Time and place for everyhting,
                the crossbow would be used when you have the advantage.i.e the enemy does not know you are there.
                They are used for sentry take outs.
                Like I said before you popout of the water you have an instant weapon you can fire.
                Miltry Recurve crossbows are very light due to the composite materials used, so easy to carry.
                And reloading isnt that much of a pain, once you know how to do it properly and a bit of strength,
                there is no need to use your foot and crank it up [as this would be unpracticall.]

Back in the 80's it was a favourite and well used wepaon within U.s. MCF.
                Times have changed as always, been replaced by silenced weapon.
                Give me an MP5-10A3 anyday.!
                Crossbow still has its place....Submerging from water, and in some cases in night ops
                depedning on objectives.

Comment

Simullacrum

I agree there is a time and place for everything , and the xbow is a formidable silent weapon ? the one i mentioned, the barnet ( commercial hunting bow ) has a draw,weight of 160 lbs , now maybe its me gettin to wrinkley in my old age but theres no way i can draw it without a crank .

check the barnet out outdoorhobbies.co.uk , .heh , you can buy the same ones much cheaper in america tho ;)

have you any specifications on the type used by the military ie draw,weight , velocity , impact energy etc etc ?:)
                  Last edited by tankie; 18 Jan 07,, 16:37.

Comment

Hello Tankie,

nice to meet you m8....been following you, new guys within these forums.
                    Enjoy your sarcasim and wit you bring amongst your knowledge and ideas.
                    look forward to exchanging in all of the above.

I know of the Barnett i have a collegue who owns Revelution XS model. If you got some spare cash lying around..its a good peice of kit to have, good fun.

There is not much difference between the Barnetts and Militry ones.

There made of fiberglass ressin which is quite light, hard and durable, they very in sizes which result in different stats.

you can have anything between 100-150lb Draw weight. depending on which method is used to draw i.e. manual c*o*c*k* or rope c*o*c*k* they are preaty much easy. Manual cocking which is the foot method takes about 10 seconds to do and is fairly straight forward and easy to do.
                    The Rope method of cocking is even easier as it takes away about 50% of the force needed. [Pully system gives a mechanical advantage.] Down side is it takes anything between 25 and 35 seconds to c*o*c*k*.

Now in the SF they use the manual system. but not in the sensce of doing it with your foot. You kind of lean one of your legs forward and bend at the knee stretch you other leg back. Get the but of the crossbow [fits in a kind of holdel which is attached to you (waist)] place it on the hip of the leaning leg, palce th xbow at a certain angle and pull or push depending on the method used..
                    It is hard to describe, and its even harder to do, but with practice and skill one is able to c*o*c*k* it.....bloody hard work.

100ib draw weight isnt to bad as it is around 40kg 150ib is around 72kg which is tuff have to be strong.

Distance varies, not so much between bows, but between operator.
                    A skilled xbow men can hit at a distance of 100+ yards, A novice will be lucky to hit something at 40 yards, with the same bow.
                    You have take in elevation, wind factor and direction...it is a skilled weapon.
                    Grain of bolt differs and can also effect range, and impact.

Ft/sec we looking at anything between 275 - 400 depending on bow, and bolt configuraution.

regrads

sim
                    Last edited by Simullacrum; 18 Jan 07,, 21:55.

Comment

cheers m8 ,its good to meet all on WAB , where in the world do you live Sim ?

back to xbows , so its pretty much the same then , but i know how hard they are to draw , you need arms like Arnold Sweatyknickers .i struggle now with anything over 60lb draw, which includes recurve longbow as well , but i have no problems lifting a glass ?

It isnt illegal to own a xbow in UK , but it is to hunt with them

hang on , "MWAH" sarcastic ,no never , now where did you get that idea from , oh i know , its the influence from Dave Lukins isn it
                      Last edited by tankie; 19 Jan 07,, 13:27.

Comment

As a fello Brit sarcasim runs rife. Dont think I can endure a day without it.
                        Part and parcel of our culture I guess.!

I reside in 'london' when Im able to be here at home. Which isnt that often.
                        Hope to be here for a while a few months or so, nothing is definate, so could change tomorrow, If im not on for a while then you know im out galavanting in some god forsaken **** hole. [love it really]

I know what you mean about the draw, me perosnally find the 150lb a real friging bugger to do, so stick to the easier 100lb'er.

They are still good fun to have, and play around with, good for pest control.
                        Only illegal if you get cought

Comment

Originally posted by Simullacrum View Post
                          As a fello Brit sarcasim runs rife. Dont think I can endure a day without it.
                          Part and parcel of our culture I guess.!

I reside in 'london' when Im able to be here at home. Which isnt that often.
                          Hope to be here for a while a few months or so, nothing is definate, so could change tomorrow, If im not on for a while then you know im out galavanting in some god forsaken **** hole. [love it really]

I know what you mean about the draw, me perosnally find the 150lb a real friging bugger to do, so stick to the easier 100lb'er.

They are still good fun to have, and play around with, good for pest control.
                          Only illegal if you get caught
                          You must love the vermin hunting in london then , especially around the Battersea area .

Comment

i have a 150 lb xbow for years, up to 50 yards i can hit a b ball, from 20yards hits hard enough to penatrate a tree, about 3 inches, i'd say i'll go in human further, and my xbow isn't fancy compaund, or recurved, i can easy reload it in about 10 sec.
                            i also have a .22 rifle , wich i sometimes put a shampoo butlle on the barrel and clamp it with hose clamp, it sounds tiny bit louder than xbow,especialy with auila subsonic heavy rounds(though my rifling twist isn't optimal for heavy bulllets), never tryed it for accuracy with a buttle further than 20 m, but at 20 m it's accurate enough to hit a cigaret pack, but it's me, may be someone else would be more accuratewith these 2 weapons.
                            xbow will be usefull if one shoots a grapling hook, never tryed it myself, but it works in the movies(not reliable source, but sometimes, they show how things really work,)
                            so if i had to chose, i'd take .22 with the butle. i can reload that in 2 sec. and try to shoot a xbow from bushes, the arms will make a bush shake, and give you away.
                            Last edited by omon; 19 Jan 07,, 17:55.
                            "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" B. Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by omon View Post
                              i have a 150 lb xbow for years, up to 50 yards i can hit a b ball, from 20yards hits hard enough to penatrate a tree, about 3 inches, i'd say.
                              :) Omon,I bet you lose a lot of bolts left in trees , or did you only try it once

Comment

Working...
                              X