I want to play, too!

Here's mine:
    Attached Files

Comment

German AT gun

Originally posted by Bluesman View Post
      I want to play, too!

Here's mine:
      A German tapered bored tungsten shot AT gun. Used by the Afrika Korps in particular and Fallchirmjager in general. Came in a 50mm and 25mm? That's the best I can do without Googling or Wikipediaing (that would be cheating)
      Reddite igitur quae sunt Caesaris Caesari et quae sunt Dei Deo
      (Render therefore unto Caesar the things which are Caesar's and unto God the things which are God's)

Comment

German AT gun

Originally posted by Bluesman View Post
        I want to play, too!

Here's mine:
        A German tapered bored tungsten shot AT gun. Used by the Afrika Korps in particular and Fallchirmjager in general. Came in a 42 /28 and 75/55mm.
        Reddite igitur quae sunt Caesaris Caesari et quae sunt Dei Deo
        (Render therefore unto Caesar the things which are Caesar's and unto God the things which are God's)

Comment

Originally posted by RustyBattleship View Post
          Yes, but WHAT crane was I thinking it was? Only 4 were built; one was sunk by bombs, an unfinished one went to Russia and one capsized and sank as it was being towed across the channel. The fourth one wound up in Long Beach and is now in Panama.
          was it a titan crane?
          Attached Files
          "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" B. Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by omon View Post
            was it a titan crane?
            Yup. That's it. I've sent a pic to Tophatter to post for me. The pic you have was taken as she (he?) was being taken to Panama. The YD-171 was more popularly known as "Herman the German".
            Able to leap tall tales in a single groan.

Comment

Originally posted by sappersgt View Post
              A German tapered bored tungsten shot AT gun. Used by the Afrika Korps in particular and Fallchirmjager in general. Came in a 42 /28 and 75/55mm.
              Just about right. This version is a 28mm -> 20mm taper-bore, a schwere Panzerbusche 41.

Comment

Yup. That's it. I've sent a pic to Tophatter to post for me. The pic you have was taken as she (he?) was being taken to Panama. The YD-171 was more popularly known as "Herman the German".
                I read or heard somewhere that the metal used for this crane was some exotic type and never reproduced by modern technology. Or was I thinking something else?
                "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by gunnut View Post
                  I read or heard somewhere that the metal used for this crane was some exotic type and never reproduced by modern technology. Or was I thinking something else?
                  There have been all kinds of sea stories about Herman. I've climbed all over it and even on up to the Aircraft Warning light (about 300 feet straight up). There are a lot of repair spots to be seen from shrapnel and bullet damage. Most repair was with clad welding or butter welding.

As for being a special steel, I don't think so. However, on one job I did on it was to mount medium steel foundations on the jib structures for new Cutler-Hammer limit switches (the old German switches were worn out). We didn't know what kind of steel was used so we went by the old ship fitter's rule, "When in doubt, use 25-20". 25% chromium and 20% nickel stainless steel welding rod would weld anything.

Comment

how about this one.
                    Attached Files
                    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" B. Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by omon View Post
                      how about this one.
                      A UFO with All Terrain Landing Gear?

Comment

A UFO with All Terrain Landing Gear?

Well, it looks Soviet with that huge infrared spot light and the...I would say, 152mm cannon. It has 4 tracks due to the huge weight of the turret needed to support the big gun. I have no idea why the hull looks the way it does. It's probably a 50s design.

That's as much as I can say about that bizarre beast.
                        "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

Okay, I cheated and Googled it. Actually the building was familiar and I looked up the Kubinka Tank Museum in Russia.

In its gallery of Heavy tanks it is item 279 and is a 1957 Troyanov Super Heavy Tank with double treads to support the weight.

How much it weighs I won't even try to guess.

Comment

How about this one(this time it's not from kubinka museum )
                            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by highsea View Post
                              Here ya go.
                              i'll admit i tryed to google it but found noting. looks vrey small for its cokpit, also canards look too big as well, also the drop tank,seems like this bird has no internal tanks. and polish id on the tail. landing gear looks unmovable, is it something that was made for a movie?? very odd plane.
                              Last edited by omon; 21 Dec 06,, 02:12.

Comment

Thats a tough one Highsea, how about a clue?

meanwhile chew on this one people.

Comment

Working...
                                X