No announcement yet.

Identify the military equipment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh, that threw me into a full Cartman. I pride myself in not being suckered by Chinese photoshop work. Grrrrr....

Not sure if they added stuff from scratch, took stuff from elsewhere, or both, as the skirt looks Sheridan, tracks are different, crew's got changes, blah, blah, blah.

Thanks for the clarification. lol
    The black flag is raised: Ban them all... Let the Admin sort them out.

I know I'm going to have the last word... I have powers of deletion and lock.

Comment

Originally posted by STIG View Post
      The rules are simple. Identify the miltary equipment in the pic. If you guessed right you get the turn to post a pic and ask a question. Ill start with this pic. Identify the submarine,plane and the incident.
      I hate to break this to you, but that is not a Soviet submarine. It is clearly a Swedish submarine. The sail and the area behind the sail are quite distinct. Compare the picture given with the one below (source: .submarines.nu/index-1.htm).

and then compare it to Whiskey on the Rocks (source: .compunews.com/s139/sp2.htm). The cut in the conning tower is opposite.

Swede boats can be quite distinct. Of course, that's just my humble opinion, I could be wrong.
      -----------------------------------------------
      (CRUNCH! On the bridge of carrier ... OOPS, down underwater at the bow ... OOPSKI, (w,stte), editorial cartoon when a Soviet sub surfaced under the bow of a US carrier)
      Attached Files

Comment

You're right. Its not a soviet sub. I just found out myself. Thanks for pointing out. Sorry for the confusion folks. Lets start afresh.

Identify the sub.

Last edited by brak; 18 Dec 06,, 13:45.

Comment

I want to go with an Alfa because Alfas had an interesting beam to length ratio ........ but still, that looks like a pretty fat sub.

It lacks the sonar for an Akula, Sierra, or a Victor. Plus, Victors had something of a flat topside which this doesn't.
          -------------------------------------------------
          (Maybe the Doctor overestimated the potency of the Satan Bug. Maybe this was a tough rat. But the Doctor didn't strike me as the type to make such errors and this seemed like a pretty puny rodent.--hero personally testing out whether or not the Satan Bug is in a compartment, (w,stte), Alistair's MacClean's "The Satan Bug")

Comment

nope..its not an Alpa :)

Comment

I'll give you a clue. It was an experimental submarine, the only of its kind. And it was a conventional sub.
              Here is another pic to give you a better idea.

Last edited by brak; 18 Dec 06,, 15:13.

Comment

anybody ?

Comment

Beluga
                  "We will go through our federal budget – page by page, line by line – eliminating those programs we don’t need, and insisting that those we do operate in a sensible cost-effective way." -President Barack Obama 11/25/2008

Comment

yep. you got it. your turn.

Comment

Here ya go.
                      Attached Files
                      "We will go through our federal budget – page by page, line by line – eliminating those programs we don’t need, and insisting that those we do operate in a sensible cost-effective way." -President Barack Obama 11/25/2008

Comment

You're right. Its not a soviet sub. I just found out myself. Thanks for pointing out. Sorry for the confusion folks. Lets start afresh.

Identify the sub.

I think it's an Akula (Shark) class looking at it from the aft tail. A friend of mine, Lee Upshaw, who owns The Scale Shipyard (http://www.scaleshipyard.com/) puts out a very fine fiberglass base hull and sail for it. With absolutly no flat surfaces, it was actually a very difficult hull to make a master of for molding.
                        Able to leap tall tales in a single groan.

Comment

Crimminy. Before I can type even the first sentence you guys have already blown my idea to pieces and added another item. You're too fast for me.

Comment

I'll give you a clue. It was an experimental submarine, the only of its kind. And it was a conventional sub.
                            Here is another pic to give you a better idea.

Oooh, oooh. Look in the background to the right of center. See that Praying Mantis type of structure?

I may have not answered correctly about the sub, but I'd bet my sister that none of you can identify it or (most importantly) where another one is.

Never mind. I just downloaded the pic and zoomed in on it. It's not what I thought it was as the jibs are not parallel to each other.
                            Last edited by RustyBattleship; 18 Dec 06,, 22:07.

Comment

another one is right behind the fat one, it's a foxtrot class.
                              That Praying Mantis type of structure is a crane.
                              The pic. was taken in sevastopol .
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by omon; 19 Dec 06,, 16:51.
                              "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" B. Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by omon View Post
                                another one is right behind the fat one, it's a foxtrot class.
                                That Praying Mantis type of structure is a crane.
                                The pic. was taken in sevastopol .
                                Yes, but WHAT crane was I thinking it was? Only 4 were built; one was sunk by bombs, an unfinished one went to Russia and one capsized and sank as it was being towed across the channel. The fourth one wound up in Long Beach and is now in Panama.

Comment

Working...
                                X