Littoral Combat Ship

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Littoral Combat Ship

Most of us agree the ultimate Littoral Combat Ship is the Battleship, but thats not gonna happen so what do you think about the LCS?

Lockheed Martin:
    http://peoships.crane.navy.mil/lcs/images/LM%20LCS%20Prelimnary%20Designmaster.jpg

Bath Iron Works:
    http://peoships.crane.navy.mil/lcs/images/BIW(large)PreliminaryLCSdesign.jpg

Raytheon:
    http://peoships.crane.navy.mil/lcs/images/LargeRaytheonLCS%20mageMaster.jpg

I want the Lockheed Martin one to win because the stock will go up and my dad will make a couple grand in stock. That and of course it looks the coolest.

It will have a 35mm Gun that fires 1000 rounds per minute with airbursting munitions. It has a 90% of downing 10 aircraft at 5000 meters with two hundred rounds. It will also be very effective against cruise missiles which means these LCS ships can knock down cruise missiles before they reach the the fleet. I believe it will also carry RAM and NETFIRES and 1 ASW Helicopter.

I think it's too small, and i think the modular mission bay is a stupid idea that will drive up costs.

Besides that, it's OK. ;)

Comment

This thing is going to happen but I think we are going to see many changes as the design evolves. Im not sold on the modular mission bay either. I also thought the Grumman lead group that was left out, touting the family of ships concept was the way to go, was much less risky and much more flexible.

Comment

What was the name of ship that was almost completely a VLS and nothing else? Fireboat or something like that?
        Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Abusing Yellow is meant to be a labor of love, not something you sell to the highest bidder.

Comment

No it was called the Arsenal Ship. It's a complete waste of money.

Comment

Why a complete waste? It accompanies an AEGIS ship and effectively doubles the weapons load.
            Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Abusing Yellow is meant to be a labor of love, not something you sell to the highest bidder.

Comment

Why a complete waste? It accompanies an AEGIS ship and effectively doubles the weapons load.
              It job was not airdefense it was bombarding the shores which you can do for a lot cheaper with no Research and Development Costs by using a Battleship.

There are something like 11000 VLS cells in the US fleet there is no need for any more. We only have something like 1000 Tomahawks left and another few hundred including the nuclear tiped ones converted to conventional.

Comment

Makes sense...

Comment

Actually, before OIF, the USN TLAM inventory was about 3000 units or so.

Comment

They used 2000 TLAM's during OIF?

Comment

Working...
                    X