Just For Men - Gray Hair

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just For Men - Gray Hair

I'd like to see if I can relate to some of the other men on the forum.

When did you first start getting gray hair?
    By what time were you half-gray?
    Completely gray?
    If you prematurely went gray, was it accompanied by other premature aging features (face, skin, etc.)
    What age was your father when he started going gray?
    Any lifestyle factors that accelerated graying, for yourself or male relatives?

I first started noticing white hairs at 19. At that time I had about 10 or 20. .

At 23 I now have about 100 or so.

My father started going gray at about the same age I did. He was about half-gray by 35, and completely gray by 45. He is now 54 and his hair is white with just a few times as many black hairs as I have white.

I'm not afraid of going gray -- in fact I look forward to it, as long as I stay relatively youthful looking otherwise in contrast to my early onset of graying.

Of note -- I do smoke, as does my father. I've actually been smoking since 14 (), and he since the age of 18.

Also, does anyone think ethnicity is related to the age of onset of gray hair? I am of 1/2 British descent, as well as 1/8 each Swedish, Russian, Italian, and Slovenian. Perhaps some British chaps, or those who have observed graying patterns in British individuals can lend some insights on this possible ethnic factor on the onset graying.
    "Every man has his weakness. Mine was always just cigarettes."

Got one or two grey hair.

Hair's thinnin up too. No smoking, no drinking...

Don't have an issue with the grey hair but baldness would worry me. Very open to suggestions!

Comment

You're 60 days older than me, so I guess I definitely have an early onset of gray hair.

Comment

I've noticed over the last few years that men seem to get gray hair earlier than I previously thought they did.

A few of my male friends I have noticed have gotten some in their mid 20's so I think it is normal. It's okay, too...gives a nice shine in the sunlight. :)
        "To dream of the person you would like to be is to waste the person you are."-Sholem Asch

"I always turn to the sports page first, which records people's accomplishments. The front page has nothing but man's failures."-Earl Warren

"I didn't intend for this to take on a political tone. I'm just here for the drugs."-Nancy Reagan, when asked a political question at a "Just Say No" rally

"He no play-a da game, he no make-a da rules."-Earl Butz, on the Pope's attitude toward birth control

Comment

Stress

Comment

Genetic.

It is also a dietary issue. People who eat fish seem to grey less. Japanese, Indians on the coast etc etc.
            Last edited by Ray; 15 Dec 06,, 18:23.

"Some have learnt many Tricks of sly Evasion, Instead of Truth they use Equivocation, And eke it out with mental Reservation, Which is to good Men an Abomination."

I don't have to attend every argument I'm invited to.

HAKUNA MATATA

Comment

Originally posted by Ironduke View Post
              I'd like to see if I can relate to some of the other men on the forum.

When did you first start getting gray hair? 18
              By what time were you half-gray? 35
              Completely gray? not yet (46)
              If you prematurely went gray, was it accompanied by other premature aging features (face, skin, etc.) No
              What age was your father when he started going gray? I think 50s
              Any lifestyle factors that accelerated graying, for yourself or male relatives? Not that I can think of

I first started noticing white hairs at 19. At that time I had about 10 or 20. .

At 23 I now have about 100 or so.

My father started going gray at about the same age I did. He was about half-gray by 35, and completely gray by 45. He is now 54 and his hair is white with just a few times as many black hairs as I have white.

I'm not afraid of going gray -- in fact I look forward to it, as long as I stay relatively youthful looking otherwise in contrast to my early onset of graying.

Of note -- I do smoke, as does my father. I've actually been smoking since 14 (), and he since the age of 18.

Also, does anyone think ethnicity is related to the age of onset of gray hair? I am of 1/2 British descent, as well as 1/8 each Swedish, Russian, Italian, and Slovenian. Perhaps some British chaps, or those who have observed graying patterns in British individuals can lend some insights on this possible ethnic factor on the onset graying.
              I now have totally gray sides to my hair and predominantly dark top and back, not quite a stripe but close, plus 'widows peaks' which started the same time my greyness did.
              In the realm of spirit, seek clarity; in the material world, seek utility.

Leibniz

Comment

Not so old and grey

I started getting grey hair when I was 17.

I've noticed a preponderance of prematurely grey people in Scandinavia. Just an observation.
                Reddite igitur quae sunt Caesaris Caesari et quae sunt Dei Deo
                (Render therefore unto Caesar the things which are Caesar's and unto God the things which are God's)

Comment

Originally posted by Asim Aquil View Post
                  Got one or two grey hair.
                  Same here, except I have only one. I'm 28, I dont think my hair is thinning or I'm going bald, heck I'm going to the salon every 25 days as if what ever I eat directly goes to my hair.

I think its a combination of heridity, food and your stress level. Too many late nights and stress would defn make you look old faster.
                  A grain of wheat eclipsed the sun of Adam !!

Comment

Ahh I don't have to worry about gray hair. My worry is 'will I be left with any hair by the time I turn 40?' For some reason I am loosing hair at very very high rate for the last 4 years. (well after I landed in USA). No one could diagnose the reason. No one is bald in my immediate family.

I have started convincing my wife that bald men are sexy..she doesn't agree..atleast so far.
                    Last edited by kams; 15 Dec 06,, 21:04.

Comment

Guess im lucky as to have red/blonde hair no greys yet and no greys planned.
                      Fortitude.....The strength to persist...The courage to endure.

Comment

Originally posted by kams View Post
                        Ahh I don't have to worry about gray hair. My worry is 'will I be left with any hair by the time I turn 40?' For some reason I am loosing hair at very very high rate for the last 4 years. (well after I loanded in USA). No one could diagnose the reason. No one is bald in my immediate family.

I have started convincing my wife that bald men are sexy..she doesn't agree..atleast so far.
                        I think the best option for balding guys it to keep their hair short.

Comment

I've noticed those with brown or black hair go gray quicker than those with blond or red hair. Stress factors and genetics also have input. Far as skin - that depends mostly on genetics, sun damage and smoking to list a few. Luckily, I still have mostly blond hair so the gray mixes in ok and thanks to layers upon layers of moisturizer, the skin still looks pretty good on this old broad.
                          Welcome, you step into a forum of the flash bang, chew toy hell, and shove it down your throat brutal honesty. OoE

Comment

Originally posted by Ironduke View Post
                            I think the best option for balding guys it to keep their hair short.
                            I saw Rogaine in America, anyone tried it? They say you should start it when you actually have plenty of hair than when you go bald.

Comment

My father is 48 and his hair is almost frosted gray. It actually looks really good and he has the hairstyle that you see on the older men in clothing catalouges so i guess i have that to look forward to. No balding on my dad's side of the family, my uncle had a thick, full head of hair until he died at about 85 so i can expect little to no hair loss. sorry to make some of you old timers feel bad lol

Comment

Working...
                              X