No more tail guns.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No more tail guns.

I was talkin with a friend about the way bombers don't use guns for defense anymore, and he told me that B-52s use a stinger missile launcher instead of the old 20mm cannon in their tail compartments. Is this true?
    Also, I saw that the Russians have developed missiles that can be fired at targets behind the aircraft, which is why the Su37 has a big tail extension, so that it can house the radar for this.
    I was just wondering if they plan to use systems like this in new bombers like the B-1 and the Tu-160 Blackjack?

Some Russian bomber, Tu-22 I think has a 23mm tail mounted cannon to engage targets behind the aircraft but Im not sure about this have to check it out.

Comment

Yeah I knew about the Tu-22, it's called Backfire by the way. I don't think that it has a very advanced defense system though.
      I wonder if they've ever considered using something like the PHALANX on bombers to shoot down SAMs.

Comment

The Tu-22 Backfire is actually a huge aircraft, you don't get the full picture if its scale until you stand next to it, the bomb shaft can swallow a whole truck :)

Comment

You wouldn't think it when you see pictures of it, because it seems much smaller than the B-1 and the Tu-160.

Comment

Working...
          X