Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Stronger Australian Army: Australia Moves Ahead with Plans to Increase Size of Army

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stronger Australian Army: Australia Moves Ahead with Plans to Increase Size of Army

Another key step has been taken in the Howard Government’s plan to substantially increase the size of the Australian Army, with the approval to implement Stage 1 of the Enhanced Land Force.

This stage will increase the size of the Army by one additional Battalion with essential supporting battle-group and Joint capabilities. The Battalion will be raised in 2007, have core capabilities in place by 2008 and be deployable by 2010.

Under the Enhanced Land Force Plan, a second battalion will also be raised, bringing the total strength of the Army to 8 Battalions - 2 Mechanized, 5 Light and 1 Commando. Approximately 2600 additional personnel will be recruited.

Full Story: http://www.militaryglobal.com/reports/228
    I rant, therefore I am.

If we can get it to twelve not counting the commandos (not a LANDCOMD asset, they're part of SOCOMD) then I'll be happy. I'd also like to see at least one more tank battalion, maybe as part of the reserves, since lets face it, we're not likely to be deploying tanks on short notice anyway. Another biggy would be increasing the high-readiness reserve components and changing the rules to make the ARes more deployable. Basically, we pay for it, we should be able to use it in anything other than an astronomically unlikely turn of events. More ASLAVs would be nice too, with a TOW variant, and extra choppers.

Comment

Originally posted by -{SpoonmaN}- View Post
      If we can get it to twelve not counting the commandos (not a LANDCOMD asset, they're part of SOCOMD) then I'll be happy. I'd also like to see at least one more tank battalion, maybe as part of the reserves, since lets face it, we're not likely to be deploying tanks on short notice anyway. Another biggy would be increasing the high-readiness reserve components and changing the rules to make the ARes more deployable. Basically, we pay for it, we should be able to use it in anything other than an astronomically unlikely turn of events. More ASLAVs would be nice too, with a TOW variant, and extra choppers.
      Added to that a proper and effective ground-based air-defence systems for both the army and air force – Get rid of this ridicules army RBS-70 deployment on naval ships one week, then the air force the following week, and if lucky, the army may be able to use then a couple of days a year for their intended service and role!!!

Add a wheeled 155mm SPH (Heavy tracked SPH’s are not needed by the ADF!) – Maybe French Caesar or South African G6

Add dedicated close-air support / ground attack aircraft to the RAAF inventory, and reintroduce proper army/air force close-air support cooperation as SOP’s

Introduce 120mm mortars (both towed and self propelled)

Replace the old M-101/102 105mm howitzers, with more L-118 105mm.
      Replace M198 155mm towed howitzers with lightweight M777 155mm

Introduce more modern and effective ATGM’s (Spike or Javelin?)

The RAAF to take Electronic Warfare and Jamming more serious

The Australian Government and RAN to get a once and for all proper fix of the Collins class Submarines fixed and combat efficient + fitting of AIP systems

The RAN to have a 14-degree Ski jump incorporated into their two new LPH’s to operate either AV-8B Plus or F-35B V/STOL aircraft.

The army to get a multiple-launch rocket system. (But not the heavy and sophisticated US MLRS system)
      Maybe something like the South African or Brazilian made wheeled MLRS

Mate -
      Ditch the idea of more ASLAV’s – they are over rated, in capability and theory.
      The Australian bush beats the ASLAV, 7 out of 10 times.
      The ASLAV was next to useless in East Timor during the wet season!

Regards
      Pioneer
      Last edited by Pioneer; 03 Apr 08,, 12:17.

Comment

Working...
      X