Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• M1A2 vs. Leopard 2

Originally posted by axl
    again, german leopard 2a6 has the same armour as the a5. they added the longer barrel and modified the fcs to deal with it.

regards
    axl

www.kampfpanzer.de
    As of what my brother says (even though a little drunk) the A6 does have more armor then the A5, int the frontal area and possibly the turret. He wasnt sure on the turret
    Last edited by AlexKall; 27 Aug 04,, 19:11.

Originally posted by axl
    is it possible that you or you drunk brother check some pictures? and if you see a difference then please mark it and show it to me.

regards
    axl

www.kampfpanzer.de
    He works with those tanks and know them inside out, although he hasnt been around A6 much but he know enough to make that statement. Hes has also worked with other engeneers who work with that tank ;)

Comment

Chef engineer on the Swedish STRV 122 (Leo A5). Hes worked closly with the germans, and have serveral times discussed the A5 and A6, aswell as visiting Germany on followups, often comming in contact with the A6.

Worked for FMV for 7 years now. All times togather he has probebly been in Germany 1 year on and off regarding the tanks.

Frankly it depends all on how the added the armor, the STRV have both interior aswell as exterriror additions in armor, interior additions compared to the A5 is not seen from the outside. Also the underside of the A6 is slightly reenforced to counter the mine threat, there will, or rather is now ans upgrade avalible for the A6 and the A5 to increase the underbelly even one more step.

I'll try to ask my brother about more differences between them.

Sorry took some time, found interesting stories from bosnia on the internet hehe

Comment

Originally posted by axl
        cool. does he has an email address? just guess i might have some questions (i can send some beer over if that helps) :-)

the strv122 is not the a5, it has some major differences and modifications which are not there with the german versions. the additional mine protection will be available for the german a6 and the swedish strv122, but i haven't seen one so far. do you have pictures of the swedish one? how will it be designated?

regards
        axl

www.kampfpanzer.de

Firstly, yes he do.

Secondly i dont think he dinks beer.

The STRV 122 is a upgraded A5 desigated by the germans as Leopard 2(S)

The A6 was allready equiped with a better protection (compared to A5) of the undercarridge to lessen the effect of a mine detonation (STRV 122 also got some minor upgrades in that area), there is now a new upgrade avalible to increase this protection slightly, one step futher. Which has been ordered by the Swedish Military aswell as the German one even though they are slightly different to each other.

STRV has a bit more armor then A6, in some regions, the A6 has more armor then what the STRV has in some areas.

Also, a picture of the swedish one? Can you explain what you are refering to? The addon pack or the tank? The addon (upgrade) has not been fitten, havent even been delivered as of what i know, read on a site that it has been ordered none the less. :)

I'll try to remember to ask my brother if i can leave his address to you.

I also know that STRV 122 is not at all like Leo A5 nor Leo A6, well maybe Leo A6EX. I have seen it, felt it and examined it.

Comment

Originally posted by axl
          the strv122 has "a bit more armour than the a6 in some regions"? aren't you able to check the picture that i attached? armour a5=armour a6. and the strv122 is totally different!!!!!
          the additional mine protection kid should be currently fielded. it has been ordered by germany and sweden. in germany some(maybe all) a6 will receive it. sweden get's the kit and adds it to the strv122. that's what krauss maffei states on the homepage. delivery has been started.
          the normal leopard 2a6 upgrade included ONLY gun and fcs, there are no changes at the hull to increase the mine protection.

the leopard 2a6ex is a demonstrator vehicle. it has no fixed configuration, they change it always depending on the customers needs. the vehicle is also used to test new techniologies. when it has been shown in public it included the additional armour packages at hull front and turret roof as the strv122.

regards
          axl

www.kampfpanzer.de
          Damnit i had just made a reply, then i went to another site comming back here thinking i had pressed submit and then reloads the reply page noticing that i never did press submit :(

Comment

Originally posted by Seeker
            I was told the LEO-2 with mine protection is LEO-2A6M. I got a drawing somewhere shows about 10cm thick array.

I always thougth the LEO-2A6 also got the glacis applique. Is this not true?

LEO 2A6 is mine protected in it self then there is a upgarde for it now, the last ome might be called M, dont know axl seem to know alot about this upgrade.

Comment

My brother says he will not discuss the configuration of the Leo, and he tells me to not mention him again hehe, i made a fool out of my self once again, in exedriating stuff. And im sorry for this, just hate losing a discussion, my memory often plays me tricks and make me think im remembering information on sites that when i re visit arnt at alls as i though they ware. Although i did came on to a site that atleat it allways continues to be uprgaded in armor (the leo) this is what i remembered as mineprotected, and looking at the difference in the picture you showed, at the belly of both tanks.

Well atleast i admited i was wrong and that i was wrong with what i though i had seen.

I will delete the info about my brother as a curtesy towards him not wanting to be mentioned in these types of discuattion regarding his work. As hes prohibithed to talk about the tank and anything about the work. He also said that (after reading this) he was thinking of the A6EX as of what he had seen on pictures.

Sorry brother ;)

He also says that you seem to know more about that A6 tank then he does.

That was it. Sorry again, i feel really ashamed regarding my part in the discussion, i should know better then to discuss on falty memories of all the discussions i have had through the years. Sorry about that Axl, and i agree you seem to know alot about it and i should have listened to it. Sometimes you need someone else to notice your errors and for that i thank "Brother" :)

I would like if you could be nice to delete anything regarding my brother in your posts or/and quotes. Thank you!
              Last edited by AlexKall; 29 Aug 04,, 18:53.

Comment

Working...
              X