• Time
  • Show
Clear All

the uk?
    Can the last person to leave the UK please turn out the lights
    cheers Jeff

Comment

Not the (Y)UK - England.

Scotland, Wales have been set up with their own parliaments but still have say in how England is run.

They are voting England into oblivion. Most of Labours MP's are either Scottish or Welsh. They would not be in power but for them, its England that does not rule itself.

Comment

Well, i voted for the USSR.
        What a wonderful time with black and white, good and evil. Everyone knew on which side he stood. We and them.

It was the time when i learned in school to simply jump under the desk, when a great bright flash, brighter than thousand suns, would rise at the horizon. Don´t look into it, that´s enough.

McDonalds was crowded with GI´s during reforger exercises, and my Airforce Base was busy with thousands of soldiers. As a boy, i laid in the grass in front of the runway, and watched excited the jets touch and go.

Years later, right after the breakdown of the USSR, i was a young airman. I stood near our cornel, right next to the tower, when an airplane with a red star descended to our runway. "Verdammte Scheisse, the russians land on MY airbase! This after thirty years on duty", he cursed. They brought some vodka, and this was the end of the cold war.
        Today, we use the runway for driving exercises.

Nowadays enemys are faceless. They have no uniform, and maybe they live not so far away, maybe in my neighbourhood. How i wish the USSR back!

Andy

Comment

So who the heck voted for the bloody Nazis, anyways?

Comment

Originally posted by Skywatcher View Post
            You can find out who voted for what by clicking the underlined number.
            In the realm of spirit, seek clarity; in the material world, seek utility.

Leibniz

Comment

Favorite Defunct 20th Century nation?

The Republic of (South) VietNam 1954-1975

Comment

Originally posted by Skywatcher View Post
                i am one of those that did
                reasons for my vote-
                1-the nazis supported my favourite indian freedom fighter " netaji subash chandra bose"
                2-purely from a civil engineering point of view i admire the nazi engineers for coming up with the concept of superhighways" autobahns".
                3-the nazis brought germany back from the brink of economic annihilation( albeit with questionable methods).

i agree that the nazis were basically evil people who did a lot of despicable things, but that should not be allowed to cover up some of the better things they did.remember it was a nazi as well who saved many chinese from extermination during the rape of nanking( for further info read this).John Rabe - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia because of the atrocities committed by the reich government one should not judge the entire population of the reich harshly some of them like the lateDr. Wernher von Braun did a lot for progress of humanity as a whole.
                Last edited by bengalraider; 15 Sep 08,, 17:10.

Comment

bengal raider: are you saying your an anglophobe then?

Comment

Originally posted by Elbmek View Post
                    bengal raider: are you saying your an anglophobe then?
                    no, not by a long shot .all i want to say that if the leaders of certain nation did something despicable one should not paint the entire nation with the same brush.

Comment

I voted for Austria Hungary.

I've had a great interest in the Habsburg Monarchy. I still find it interesting how a weak power was able to prolong its existence another approximately 100 years.

Comment

How about the French Empire Ho!HO! HUM!

Comment

Originally posted by stanthewiseman View Post
                          How about the French Empire Ho!HO! HUM!
                          They did amazingly well for awhile... Honestly, if it weren't for the recent (post WWII) political changes in France I think they'd be a little less maligned and looked down upon. Napolean didn't help this much with his policy of marginilizing of the different cultures that historically made up the nation I suppose. The adoption of L'acadamie Francais which attempted to stamp out the Languedoc cultures/languages really marginalized the country people and benefitted the Parisian culture. Provencal is a dying language... It is sort of sad really, France at one time was a nation that closely resembled the US, as much as a Continental nation could I suppose. Napoleon gave the French a double edged sword; they can be proud of their country's performance under the foreign dictator's leadership, but also must realize the cost... Lousianna Purchase...

I must note, I am both of French descent, and related to Napoleon by marriage (I think he's a great uncle or something)... that said, my family moved to on a Spanish land grant in the 1580's or so...

Besides, the nation of France is alive (perhaps not well), but certainment pas defunct!

My French sucks btw:)

Comment

^^

Then we will choose the Second French Empire under the III as our favorite defunct empire. In many ways, I suppose the Second French Empire is akin to the Ve Repubic , except that there is no monarchy. Therefore, the Empire of the French still lives.

Comment

Originally posted by xerxes View Post
                              ^^

Then we will choose the Second French Empire under the III as our favorite defunct empire. In many ways, I suppose the Second French Empire is akin to the Ve Repubic , except that there is no monarchy. Therefore, the Empire of the French still lives.
                              Can't do it, "Favorite Defunct 20th Century nation"; pas le dix-neuvieme siecle :).

Perhaps the Vichy government??
                              Last edited by pate; 20 Nov 08,, 06:38. Reason: haha funny?

Comment

Originally posted by PubFather View Post
                                Burma (or is it Myanmar?)
                                Burma. Easier to spell, sounds cooler.

Country is a serious mess too. Zaire looks like Utopia compared to that country.

Comment

Working...
                                X