Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Key US forces to stay in Germany

Key US forces to stay in Germany

The US military says it will keep its European command in Germany - adding new brigades and expanding key bases - amid plans for a broader pull-out.

Gen Charles Wald said three new brigades - numbering between 3,000 and 5,000 men each - will come to Germany,

However, some 30,000 troops already stationed there are to be withdrawn.

US President George W Bush announced the withdrawal on Monday, as part of plans to upgrade Cold-War era military deployments for the "war on terror".

The plans envisage some 70,000 US troops - currently stationed in western Europe and east Asia - being pulled out over the next six years to make way for smaller, more mobile deployments.

German alarm

Gen Wald said the US will not move its European command, which monitors an area covering 91 countries, from Germany.

Nor will US Air Force bases in Germany be affected by the planned withdrawals, he said, with one of the bases, Ramstein, set to "become even larger".

The new deployments coming to Germany are the Stryker armoured vehicle brigade, a paratrooper brigade and an expeditionary brigade.

The withdrawal of about 30,000 soldiers from the heavier armoured fighting divisions will not take place before 2006, so that the views of the German government can be taken into account, Gen Wald said.

German communities that have evolved to serve the bases earlier voiced alarm at President Bush's withdrawal plans, fearing their livelihoods will be endangered.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/3582038.stm
    "Every man has his weakness. Mine was always just cigarettes."

I say it's about time, the German government has had a lousy attitude towards the US recently. Pulling all those troops and the millions they add to the German economy each year might make thek change their tune a bit.

Comment

Originally posted by Wraith601
      I say it's about time, the German government has had a lousy attitude towards the US recently. Pulling all those troops and the millions they add to the German economy each year might make thek change their tune a bit.
      They might start getting even more anti-US foreign policy if you keep taking troops out! ;)

Comment

I think it is a good thing.
        Pity they don't pack their stuff and also get these AF bases closed.
        ...and what I'm frightened off, is that they call it God's love...

Comment

Why do we need a freaking Army in every reagion of the world. I mean I suppose its a good thing if we get atacked but seriously do we need a force in germany that is the size of many nations whole army? Oh well. At least we know the Germans won't be pulling any funny business.
          "Our citizenship in the United States is our national character. Our citizenship in any particular state is only our local distinction. By the latter we are known at home, by the former to the world. Our great title is AMERICANS…" -- Thomas Paine

Comment

Originally posted by Veni Vidi Vici
            Why do we need a freaking Army in every reagion of the world. I mean I suppose its a good thing if we get atacked but seriously do we need a force in germany that is the size of many nations whole army? Oh well. At least we know the Germans won't be pulling any funny business.
            Yes, it's necessary. From a force projection PoV into Eastern Europe, the Middle East, and Africa, forces in Europe are an absolute must.

Comment

Originally posted by Officer of Engineers
              Yes, it's necessary. From a force projection PoV into Eastern Europe, the Middle East, and Africa, forces in Europe are an absolute must.
              So I suppose keeping France and Germany in check is just a bonus.
              "Our citizenship in the United States is our national character. Our citizenship in any particular state is only our local distinction. By the latter we are known at home, by the former to the world. Our great title is AMERICANS…" -- Thomas Paine

Comment

Originally posted by Ironduke View Post
                Key US forces to stay in Germany

The US military says it will keep its European command in Germany - adding new brigades and expanding key bases - amid plans for a broader pull-out.

Gen Charles Wald said three new brigades - numbering between 3,000 and 5,000 men each - will come to Germany,

However, some 30,000 troops already stationed there are to be withdrawn.

US President George W Bush announced the withdrawal on Monday, as part of plans to upgrade Cold-War era military deployments for the "war on terror".

The plans envisage some 70,000 US troops - currently stationed in western Europe and east Asia - being pulled out over the next six years to make way for smaller, more mobile deployments.

German alarm

Gen Wald said the US will not move its European command, which monitors an area covering 91 countries, from Germany.

Nor will US Air Force bases in Germany be affected by the planned withdrawals, he said, with one of the bases, Ramstein, set to "become even larger".

The new deployments coming to Germany are the Stryker armoured vehicle brigade, a paratrooper brigade and an expeditionary brigade.

The withdrawal of about 30,000 soldiers from the heavier armoured fighting divisions will not take place before 2006, so that the views of the German government can be taken into account, Gen Wald said.

German communities that have evolved to serve the bases earlier voiced alarm at President Bush's withdrawal plans, fearing their livelihoods will be endangered.

BBC NEWS | Americas | Key US forces to stay in Germany
                We worry about staying in Iraq?? I say, we should worry about staying in Germany!!! The Second World War is over, so is the Cold war. I say, we should end the occupation of Germany and right now!!! The Germans are quite capable of looking after themselves!!!

Comment

This is an ancient thread. ;)
                  "Every man has his weakness. Mine was always just cigarettes."

Comment

Originally posted by Ironduke View Post
                    This is an ancient thread. ;)
                    Yeah, this thread was posted back when most Americans thought Iraq was all sunshine and roses.
                    "The great questions of the day will not be settled by means of speeches and majority decisions but by iron and blood"-Otto Von Bismarck

Comment

Working...
                    X