Russian tank and barbed wire

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Russian tank and barbed wire

I remeber seeing pictures of Russian tanks in Chechnya sporting a bunch of barbed wire in order to work like slat armor, purportedly.

Would that actually work? It seems like it might not be stiff enough, so if an RPG hits it, it'll keep flying until it hits a target that doesn't move at all. But I don't know how much force it has to receive back to indicate its time to explode.

Comments?
    In Iran people belive pepsi stands for pay each penny save israel. -urmomma158
    The Russian Navy is still a threat, but only to those unlucky enough to be Russian sailors.-highsea

Originally posted by Stan187 View Post
    I remeber seeing pictures of Russian tanks in Chechnya sporting a bunch of barbed wire in order to work like slat armor, purportedly.

Would that actually work? It seems like it might not be stiff enough, so if an RPG hits it, it'll keep flying until it hits a target that doesn't move at all. But I don't know how much force it has to receive back to indicate its time to explode.

Comments?
    In 1944-45 Russian tankers were adjusting a springwire matresses to their tanks' armor to protect against Panzerfaust used by German infantry and very deadly against tanks in street fights. This is because warhead of Panzerfaust was not rocket driven but shut for a distance of 50 meters... and had vey low velocity.... even matress could have have slowed it down :)

Comment

Originally posted by Garry View Post
      In 1944-45 Russian tankers were adjusting a springwire matresses to their tanks' armor to protect against Panzerfaust used by German infantry and very deadly against tanks in street fights. This is because warhead of Panzerfaust was not rocket driven but shut for a distance of 50 meters... and had vey low velocity.... even matress could have have slowed it down :)
      I guess my question is, what that be relevant versus modern russian made RPG weapons in Chechnya?
      The Russian Navy is still a threat, but only to those unlucky enough to be Russian sailors.-highsea

Comment

Post the picture.

Comment

Comments?

Hm. I did not see such pictures. However I know, that for protection from РПГ used metal grids.

Comment

I guess my question is, what that be relevant versus modern russian made RPG weapons in Chechnya?
            I think barbed wire or matresses will not protect against RPG-7. Unlike the Panzerfaust, RPGs are propelled grenades and their velocity much higher than what a barbed wire or spring matresses could stop....

RPG-7 velocity is around 120 m/s at start and 300 m/s at the time it hits the target... even though this is 3 times slower than a bullet is is fast enough to ignore soft barriers like barbed wire. In my view....

Comment

without looking at the pic. i'd say i'ts most likely to be a riot control vehicle. Rioters known for climbing on tanks and trying to open hatches, and knock out or obstruct pereckopes.
              the barb wire will most likely stop molotov coctail.
              "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" B. Franklin

Comment

Russian tank - Google Search

Just go to google

Comment

Omon seems to be correct in his assumption. The barbed wire would be to prevent incidents like the one in the oicture below.

Cheers!...on the rocks!!

Comment

I have seen many photos from the Chechen Republic, and till now have not seen a barbed wire. Probably you were mistaken?
                    Examples of additional (improvised) protection of armoured cars:
                    Attached Files

Comment

No I defintely wasn't mistaken, I just can't get u the image on here because I saw this image on Russian TV and I didn't tape the program. But a soldier specifically pointed that out and said that RPGs are a threat which is why we use this method to try to counter it.

Comment

Originally posted by omon View Post
                        without looking at the pic. i'd say i'ts most likely to be a riot control vehicle. Rioters known for climbing on tanks and trying to open hatches, and knock out or obstruct pereckopes.
                        the barb wire will most likely stop molotov coctail.
                        I actually hear first time about that that terrorists would get on the tank or armoured cars. Molotov coctail also was a rarity. The reason in that that terrorists have been well armed by anti-tank means: Anti-tank guided missiles of different types, РПГ-7 (including tandem rocket), РПГ-26, РПГ-27 and others (before war was greater warehouses with the weapon are grasped). They had a lot of weapon against tanks, and it was not necessity to use self-destructive attacks to tanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Firral View Post
                          I actually hear first time about that that terrorists would get on the tank or armoured cars. Molotov coctail also was a rarity. The reason in that that terrorists have been well armed by anti-tank means: Anti-tank guided missiles of different types, РПГ-7 (including tandem rocket), РПГ-26, РПГ-27 and others (before war was greater warehouses with the weapon are grasped). They had a lot of weapon against tanks, and it was not necessity to use self-destructive attacks to tanks.
                          i never said terrorists, i said rioters, not remotely the same.
                          "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" B. Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by omon View Post
                            i never said terrorists, i said rioters, not remotely the same.
                            I spoke about them, it is my mistake of terminology. In Russian we name their боевики (boeviki).

Comment

Originally posted by Firral View Post
                              I spoke about them, it is my mistake of terminology. In Russian we name their боевики (boeviki).
                              i speak russian too you know, and i wasn't talking about boeviki, i was talking adout, protestanti, МЯТЕЖНИК; БУНТОВЩИК civilians, not armed with anything except a sticks, rocks, and maybe molotov cocktail.

Comment

Working...
                              X