The Music of War

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Music of War

I thought this was interesting. I would definitely watch this...if I had a tv. lol

----------------------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.cnn.com/2004/SHOWBIZ/TV/0....ap/index.html

The music of war
    VH1 chronicles soldiers and their soundtracks

Tuesday, August 17, 2004 Posted: 1:47 PM EDT (1747 GMT)

NEW YORK (AP) -- The images captured in "VH1 News Presents: Soundtrack To War" combine the use of music by America's soldiers and the unsettling pictures of war.

A group of soldiers stand on a rooftop, singing gospel music. Suddenly, bombs explode. Nearby, black smoke rises.

A tank crew cranks up a heavy metal song to gear up for combat.

Using personal testimonies, the one-hour documentary examines the soldiers' use of music for inspiration, motivation and mourning. The result: a unique look at youth in war.

"Soundtrack To War," airing 9 p.m. EDT Wednesday, follows soldiers of the Army's 1st Armored Division during their 15-month deployment in Iraq from April 2003 to July 2004, one of the military's longest deployments since Vietnam.

"They couldn't do it without their music. They couldn't get through it without it," Australian filmmaker George Gittoes says.

Gittoes, who directed this documentary, relies on the soldiers to tell their own story as songs -- including ones written by the soldiers -- push the documentary along.

The approach is effective, giving viewers a sense of who these soldiers are and what they face.

Several scenes in Gittoes' film were featured in Michael Moore's "Fahrenheit 9/11." But unlike Moore's film, "Soundtrack To War" centers on the soldiers' personal feelings rather than their political ones.
    Punk and raps

While soldiers are typically cautious with their comments, they open up to Gittoes about music. And as they do, they talk about their war experiences.

The documentary begins with soldiers confiding how various songs -- from Drowning Pool's "Let the Bodies Hit the Floor" to Mystikal's "Round Out the Tank" -- help psyche them up before battle.

One soldier explains why Drowning Pool's song was the motto for his tank crew during battles. Another tells how rapper Tupac Shakur's songs were funneled through headsets in a M-1 Abrams tank as it rolled from Kuwait into Iraq at the start of the war, and then changed to the Triple 6 Mafia when they hit the streets of Baghdad.

In one scene, a soldier talks about his affinity for punk rock and how few in his unit like the music. He tells Gittoes how there was another soldier he bonded with over the music -- one who was later killed by a roadside bomb

In another scene, Pfc. Yona Hagos raps about being "like a biological weapon" and surviving enemy gunfire. In the credits, viewers learn he was later hit with a rocket-propelled grenade.

"The song is about trying to survive," Hagos told The Associated Press. "I'm trying to get over it. It's not something you just get over in a few days or a few months."

In one of the film's most memorable segments, a scene opens with soldiers on patrol in Baghdad when a car bomb explodes, killing a family in a car. In the back seat, a child's toys are spattered with blood. The scene moves to two soldiers -- Spc. Joshua Revak and Sgt. Trenton Dull -- sitting near a tank, strumming acoustic guitars. They explain how they became friends during the war, and wrote a song together to honor fallen comrades.

"No other American sitting back in America can ever come close to understanding what a soldier goes through on the streets of Baghdad," Revak says.
    'Music is vital out there'

Later in the film, Gittoes returns to Revak.

"We've lost a lot of brothers. It gets tougher every day," he says. "The only way I've been able to deal with that is to write music."

Spc. Janel Daniels is yet another soldier who writes songs to cope.

"All you have is destruction around you. You have no idea what's about to happen. It's so hard with everything going on. Music is vital out there," Daniels told the AP.

In the film's final scenes, there's a message of hope as three young soldiers -- all from different ethnic backgrounds -- rap about their experiences in Iraq.

"Music," Spc. Jaimeron Tippins, one of the trio, says in the film, "has a lot to do with uniting us out here."
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------
    "Security is an illusion. Life is either a daring adventure or it is nothing at all."
    — Helen Keller

so im assuming this is gonna be on VH1?
    They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    --Benjamin Franklin

There is danger from all men. The only maxim of a free government ought to be to trust no man living with power to endanger the public liberty.--John Adams

Comment

Originally posted by phalanx
      so im assuming this is gonna be on VH1?
      That'd be my guess
      "Security is an illusion. Life is either a daring adventure or it is nothing at all."
      — Helen Keller

Comment

Music is important in both the best and worst times. Music heals the soul...
        No man is free until all men are free - John Hossack
        I agree completely with this Administration’s goal of a regime change in Iraq-John Kerry
        even if that enforcement is mostly at the hands of the United States, a right we retain even if the Security Council fails to act-John Kerry
        He may even miscalculate and slide these weapons off to terrorist groups to invite them to be a surrogate to use them against the United States. It’s the miscalculation that poses the greatest threat-John Kerry

Comment

Amen
          — Helen Keller

Comment

Originally posted by feynman
            Amen
            i wouldnt want to listen to music i enjoy, cause what f your listening to your favorite song when all the sudden your friend gets blown away by an rpg. kinda ruins the song, doesnt it?
            "I'm against picketting, but i dont know how to show it"

Comment

Working...
            X