Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: A10 vs SU-25

Regular
    I'd heard that a hundred su-25's were prioritised for upgrading after the Georgia action.

Anyone have any info on the program?

Major problem seems to the outdated electronics & weapons load, ie. lack of modern targeting & reconnaissance capabilies, & lack of fire & forget precision munitions.

Upgrading should bring it close enough to the A-10 that they would be pretty well interchangable in most missions.

Senior Contributor
    I'd go for the A-10/OA-10 Thunderbolt II.

Quote Originally Posted by usplanefan67 View Post
    Shipwreck you can polish a turd and it still will be a turd!!!!
    Why is it that you believe the Su-25 to be such a *turd* ?

Contributor
    It isn't a turd; like any aircraft, it has strengths and weaknesses.

The major weakness it has in this day and age are very out-dated avionics in the vast majority of those aircraft. The Su-25SK/SM upgrades should make it much more capable.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Shipwreck View Post
    Why is it that you believe the Su-25 to be such a *turd* ?

Those things were used pretty much as target practice in afganistan, to my knowledge no a-10's have been lost and have see a good nit of action so far. Even the afgan military acknowledged they were better.

Contributor
    Your knowledge is lacking

Quote Originally Posted by usplanefan67 View Post
    to my knowledge no a-10's have been lost and have see a good nit of action so far.

Senior Contributor
    I think it also depends on how good the Pilots are and how good their eyesight is, go ask the crew of the Warrior at the end of Gulf War 1, and I mean end, the war was over. Also the Warrior was flying Union Jack.

Just saw this gif yesterday,can anyone confirm this is a GAU-8 firing or are they cluster bombs?Personally I think it's the GAU-8 firing at 3900 RPM, but some people think these are cluster bombs
    Last edited by Nauticus; 06 Dec 08, at 05:39.

Military Professional
    Looks like gunfire to me. The bullets out of a GAU-8 are about the same size as cluster bomblets, heh. I'm pretty sure thats actually from the gun though.

Senior Contributor
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy View Post
    Looks like gunfire to me. The bullets out of a GAU-8 are about the same size as cluster bomblets, heh. I'm pretty sure thats actually from the gun though.
    Isn't the spread area a bit wide? I'd have thought the shots would be somewhat closer...

Quote Originally Posted by Kommunist View Post
    Also, Su-25 Laser designator doesn't work in foggy/cloudy weather conditions (as the Russians found out in Chechnya).
    That is a problem with Laser Designation Systems which even the west uses, so that is not specific to SU-25.

How to you expect to lase a target with a dense cloud in the middle?

LASER is afterall, LIGHT. If you put in a opaque block(say clouds) between source and target, then how do you expect it to designate the target?
    Self-control is the chief element in self-respect, and self-respect is the chief element in courage.

Quote Originally Posted by Nauticus View Post
    Just saw this gif yesterday,can anyone confirm this is a GAU-8 firing or are they cluster bombs?Personally I think it's the GAU-8 firing at 3900 RPM, but some people think these are cluster bombs
    Thats no way the Cannon.

It is definitely a CBU, dropped by some other aircraft other than the one which is filming.

Following is a A-10 strafe.

http://in.youtube.com/watch?v=r2tGWkljwZ8

The effects on the ground are more of in a straight line. In the GIF above, the explosions start in the middle and then random explosions on all sides.

Also, you can see the Laser designator marker slide down towards the end of the playback.
    Last edited by ASG; 06 Dec 08, at 13:42.
    Self-control is the chief element in self-respect, and self-respect is the chief element in courage.

Senior Contributor
    Quote Originally Posted by Maximus View Post
    LASER is afterall, LIGHT. If you put in a opaque block(say clouds) between source and target, then how do you expect it to designate the target?
    Indeed. I remember reading that (some) grenades from tank smoke launchers have a really thick, oily smoke, precisely for these situations.

Quote Originally Posted by Maximus View Post
    Thats no way the Cannon.

It is definitely a CBU, dropped by some other aircraft other than the one which is filming.

Following is a A-10 strafe.

http://in.youtube.com/watch?v=r2tGWkljwZ8

The effects on the ground are more of in a straight line. In the GIF above, the explosions start in the middle and then random explosions on all sides.

Also, you can see the Laser designator marker slide down towards the end of the playback.
    I know the A-10 used to have a selectable RoF which is between 2100 RPM and 4200 RPM,and now they are fixed to fire at 3900 RPM,could the one in the video you posted was firing in the lower mode? Would that make a difference?
    another angle from the same attack:
    link to the original video:http://www.apacheclips.com/media/990...iban_on_bikes/

The explosions are too randomly placed to be a cannon, IMO.

Unless 3 or 4 aircraft are firing at once on the targets, I reckon its a CBU.

Thread Information