Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gas prices rise at record pace

Gas prices rise at record pace

(Gas in my area leaped from $1.69 per gallon to $1.79 a couple days ago)

Industry survey blames increase on blackout, pipeline break
    Sunday, August 24, 2003 Posted: 5:49 PM EDT (2149 GMT)

CAMARILLO, California (CNN) -- Gas prices zoomed at a record pace during the past two weeks, increasing by more than 15 cents per gallon to a national average of $1.72, according to a national survey of gas stations.

That was the largest two-week rise in the half-century history of the Lundberg Survey, Publisher Trilby Lundberg told CNN.

Still, the price was a penny shy of the all-time high, set on March 21, she said.

Lundberg said panic buying in Phoenix, Arizona, after a pipeline burst August 8, cutting supplies to the area, caused prices there to soar 60 cents per gallon, to $2.12. Phoenix consumers paid the most in the nation for gasoline, according to the survey.

Energy officials in Arizona say the pipeline has been repaired and gas is flowing into Phoenix again, though they say it may take a few days for it to reach the city, according to The Associated Press.

The rupture affected prices all along the West Coast, driving the average cost of a gallon of gas in Los Angeles up 42 cents, to $2.06.

Refinery shutdowns caused by last week's blackout that affected parts of the East and Midwest also played a role in the price jump, she said.

The survey of prices at about 7,000 gas stations was carried out August 8 and Friday. Drivers in Charleston, South Carolina, paid the least, at $1.49, according to the survey.

Lundberg said the pipeline's repair and the drop in demand that typically occurs at summer's end would likely send prices lower in coming weeks.

http://www.cnn.com/2003/US/08/24/gas.prices/index.html
    "Every man has his weakness. Mine was always just cigarettes."

We pay about $1.25 per liter or something like that.
    Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Abusing Yellow is meant to be a labor of love, not something you sell to the highest bidder.

Comment

The average Israeli drives alot less than the average American as well. Hell, the county I live in is a little over 7,000 square miles, about the same size and Israel.
      "Every man has his weakness. Mine was always just cigarettes."

Comment

My homemade Biodiesel costs me about 60 cents a gallon.

Snicker...
        sigpicUSS North Dakota

Comment

Israeli's probably drive a lot less, but gas is 4 times more expensive (approx.) That is the one reason I don't have my license yet. I'd have to pay for gas. As it is I got to raise at least 3,500 (at least $800) shekels for driving lessons, tests, etc...
          Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Abusing Yellow is meant to be a labor of love, not something you sell to the highest bidder.

Comment

Gas is always cheap in the US because there hasn't been a federal tax levyed on the sale of Gasoline. I hope it stays that way for a long time to come.

The price of oil should be regulated by the market not the Government.

Comment

All I know is that I really hope gas prices will drop before I get my license...

Comment

Working...
              X