No announcement yet.

Picture(s) of the day

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I've started my newest adventure in the world of search and rescue (SAR). As some may now, in April, two towns in my county and several fire districts got smacked by a deadly EF-4 tornado. It missed me by a few hundred yards. I had just gotten back from a weekend Wilderness SAR training exercise in NW Arkansas but my truck broke down there. Luckily, Lynn, one of the instructors happened to be the K9 handler I flank for for local missing persons searches. Her dog Amy is a ninja- FEMA certified disaster search dog and NASAR certified live find wilderness SAR dog. She is also on the state level Urban Search and Rescue (US&R or USAR) task force as one of only 2 handlers with FEMA certified disaster search dogs in the entire state. She lived in Mayflower and we had only been back a short time when the tornado hit. We had to run for our lives to out station house and then right back into the thick of it. We worked from 10 minutes after the storm until the scene was closed at 3:30 AM and then she had to be back at it when the sun came up and the US&R task force (AR-TF1) deployed. I went with her and them. At the end of the rescue phase her K9 boss suggested I should learn to handle her dog in training. Lynn though it was a good idea and so I'm now a search dog handler in training.

This young lady's name is Ivy. She's an imported Dutch Shepherd. She is about 1/3rd of the way trained. She has the basic skills (drive, obedience and search) and now needs to hone them up to the proper level. Lynn thinks we can be ready to challenge for wilderness certification this fall and then disaster searches sometime after that. Given that there are only a few hundred certified disaster search dogs in the world, joining those ranks would be an awesome achievement.
    Attached Files

Comment

• Z,

I love your passion to rescue people, but seriously, how much you expect to learn from a 1/3 trained dog?

Keep up the great work.
      No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

• Originally posted by Doktor View Post
        Z,

I love your passion to rescue people, but seriously, how much you expect to learn from a 1/3 trained dog?

Keep up the great work.
        Her owner will be supervising the training Ivy and I will be doing together. Lynn works a dog named Amy (another dutch shepherd) who she trained and then got certified in both NASAR K9 SARTECH II and FEMA disaster search live find.

Comment

• My witty comment failed.

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

• Ukrainian president Petro Poroshenko signs the EU Association Agreement in Brussels on 27 June 2014. President Poroshenko described today's agreement as "the most important day" for his country since independence from the Soviet Union. "It's absolutely a new perspective for my country." Poroshenko said he signed the agreement with the same pen that former president Viktor Yanukovych was supposed to use last year. Also signing were Georgia and Moldova.
            sigpic

Comment

• 5 July 2014. The flag of Ukraine is raised above the city administration building in the captured rebel stronghold of Slavyansk.
              sigpic

Comment

• sigpic

Comment

• Just this past weekend, a CNN infographic places Slavyansk hundreds of miles south in Crimea. In reality, Slavyansk is about 16 miles from Kramatorsk.

In May, CNN placed Eastern Ukraine in Pakistan...

Jeez... how can a major news organization be THIS geographically-challenged over and over?
                  sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by Minskaya View Post

5 July 2014. The flag of Ukraine is raised above the city administration building in the captured rebel stronghold of Slavyansk.

Proud day for Ukraine.

And the only thing CNN may be able to locate properly is the Malaysian Airliner.
                    “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
                    Mark Twain

Comment

• Originally posted by Albany Rifles View Post
                      And the only thing CNN may be able to locate properly is the Malaysian Airliner.
                      They found it?

Comment

• Originally posted by Doktor View Post
                        They found it?
                        No but they'll kep looking.

Then, when OJ gets parole, they can help him look for the real killer.
                        “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
                        Mark Twain

Comment

• Oooooooooooooooh the satire dines today

Comment

• Looking north towards Slavyansk and close to the village of Novobakhmutivka in eastern Ukraine, a railroad bridge over a main highway leading to Donetsk lies in ruin. No one has claimed responsibility, but an eyewitness says he saw an explosion and then a group of men in camouflage fatigues jumped into a car and sped away in the direction of Donetsk (south towards the photographer). Two other bridges near the villages of Zakitne and Seleznevkawere were also severely damaged by explosions. Without doubt pro-Russia militants trying to slow down the Ukrainian military on its approach to Donetsk.
                            sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by Minskaya View Post
                              [IMG]http://www.worldaffairsboard.com/multimedia-jukebox-room/multimedia-jukebox-room/

Just this past weekend, a CNN infographic places Slavyansk hundreds of miles south in Crimea. In reality, Slavyansk is about 16 miles from Kramatorsk.

In May, CNN placed Eastern Ukraine in Pakistan...Jeez... how can a major news organization be THIS geographically-challenged over and over?
                              And the new defense minister of Ukraine doesn't remove cap of pen when 'signing' his appointment. :)

Both the map and pen stories were featured on RT as stand alone stories. No self-respecting TV news org would make a story out these faux pas. Well, like the almost perfect man said, "I'd be perfect if I wasn't conceited."
                              To be Truly ignorant, Man requires an Education - Plato

Comment

• I'll say it plainly. Regarding Ukraine... RT, Voice of Russia, etc. act as Russian propaganda outlets for the English speaking audience.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X